The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Histoires de Parfums - Noir Patchouli
My first ‘niche’ full bottle purchase, and a real stunner on a rainy summer day.
HdP was the first house I got into, and have quite a few from their collection, and IMHO, this is the one that best fits the brief of feeling historical. It really feels like something you’d imagine from the 17th century, giving me the vibe of a Count in some musty château.
Definitely not for everyone, but probably worth smelling at least once, just for that magical feeling.

1655540841509.jpeg

ADP Colonia Futura. Old World vibe with New World facets. Think fresh barbershop cologne with lavender, citrus and a subtle clean, light soap and vetiver nuance. If you like a little bit of that throwback vibe of lavender & oak moss similarities of yesteryear with a nice infusion of citrus & florals of today, this one must be sampled. Not for everyone and I strongly suggest not blind buying. Under 30? Suspect at best. Over that, seriously consider it as a solid fresh cologne with better that average longevity. Sillage & projection are not its strong points but, with enough sprays you will catch gorgeous wafts of this scent all day.

9B580EC3-F3B0-4CEC-9DDD-96D80A5C81C4.jpeg

Hiram Green - Arcadia
Superb all natural fougere. Gave this my first full wear from the bottle, with just a couple of good sprays, and had all day longevity out of it. No idea how Hiram’s scents have such longevity but they do.
What I really noted yeterday Is just the sheer quality of the scent, that hadn’t jumped out at me sampling. I’m always over analyzing when I sample and don’t always take the time to just enjoy the scent.
Well yesterday I just kept getting these whiffs, I didn’t even know it was me, and even commented once that someone smells good. It was me LOL.
From following some perfumers, I understand that making a fragrance can mean certain compromises, openings may suffer to make a great dry down for example.
Here, the one odd thing I get, and I think it’s the jasmine, is a sort of baby diaper note. I kind of like it, in context it works. It’s sort of fascinating how a great frag can have some many layers, that shouldn’t work, but do.

Anyway, this is really lovely stuff, and recommended for anyone looking for a more natural, and very well composed fougere.

1655835151479.jpeg

Parle Moi de Parfum - Wake Up World

And on the other end of the spectrum with have this very admittedly synthetic nod to old school greats like Ted Lapidus pour Homme.
And god is it great, yeah the dihydromercinol is weird, but somehow it works with that apple note in the top and just makes for an amazing wear that I don’t get tired of.
Probably my favorite blind buy of the year.

Nothing makes me happier in a fragrance than having something that shouldn’t work, that I shouldn’t like, and yet it’s quirkiness makes it fantastic. This is the Judy Greer of fragrances.

1655835610399.jpeg

Back