The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Dueling Lemons!

1654252042724.gif

Goutal - Eau d’Hadrien vs. Promumum Roma - Acqua Viva

Reviewers often compare these two, claiming them to be some of the best lemon frags ever made. I tried Acqua Viva a few weeks back, and enjoyed it, but it’s pretty darn pricey. I was hoping the Goutal would be close enough, as it’s much more affordable.

Unfortunately for me, it’s lemon for a bout 5 minutes and then, you guessed it, it’s a vanillic musky thing. Blah. And then, it’s just gone.
Well desperately needed a bright lemon mood booster, I went for my sample of Acqua Viva, and it did not disappoint!
It’s a pretty natural smelling lemon, a bit of juice, a bit of rind, maybe some leaves, but the lemon comes through, and sticks around for a few hours anyway. It’s backed with a cedar note, which is one of those notes that can pick up and amplify lemon, so it still retains that lemon freshness. Plus cedar isn’t vanillic musk, so that’s a win anyway.

Sadly, Acqua Viva is pricy by my standards, the thing is, I love lemon, and this is does the job others haven‘t.
May end up being my most expensive bottle, but probably worth it for a lemon head like me.

BTW, I used Myrsol Aqua di Limone today, wow is that a great lemon drop scent. Sadly only lasts 5 minutes on me, but it’s an AS so that’s ok. Anyone who knows a similar, longer lasting frag, please let me know.

I have two quests this year, a great lemon, and great green.

Dueling Lemons!

View attachment 84850

Goutal - Eau d’Hadrien vs. Promumum Roma - Acqua Viva

Reviewers often compare these two, claiming them to be some of the best lemon frags ever made. I tried Acqua Viva a few weeks back, and enjoyed it, but it’s pretty darn pricey. I was hoping the Goutal would be close enough, as it’s much more affordable.

Unfortunately for me, it’s lemon for a bout 5 minutes and then, you guessed it, it’s a vanillic musky thing. Blah. And then, it’s just gone.
Well desperately needed a bright lemon mood booster, I went for my sample of Acqua Viva, and it did not disappoint!
It’s a pretty natural smelling lemon, a bit of juice, a bit of rind, maybe some leaves, but the lemon comes through, and sticks around for a few hours anyway. It’s backed with a cedar note, which is one of those notes that can pick up and amplify lemon, so it still retains that lemon freshness. Plus cedar isn’t vanillic musk, so that’s a win anyway.

Sadly, Acqua Viva is pricy by my standards, the thing is, I love lemon, and this is does the job others haven‘t.
May end up being my most expensive bottle, but probably worth it for a lemon head like me.

BTW, I used Myrsol Aqua di Limone today, wow is that a great lemon drop scent. Sadly only lasts 5 minutes on me, but it’s an AS so that’s ok. Anyone who knows a similar, longer lasting frag, please let me know.

I have two quests this year, a great lemon, and great green.
See if you can get a decant of Dior Homme Cologne, so preferably the earlier 2013 formulation. (The newer 2022 version there’s some question if the performance is not quite as good)

Banana Republic M. Lovely fig & citrus with a low key plum note up top. Then the musks, light florals & woods ride in from the mid on down. Very green vibe with the tiniest amount of an herbal accord from the rosemary. An Aromatic composition with a slight Fougere tinge. Clean green soapiness in the end. Great daily wear and exceptional for office use that won't offend a single soul and 2 thumbs up from the Ladies. Picked it up a couple years ago on clearance at a Banana Republic outlet store for under $10US. Worth triple the price in my estimation. Think Marc Jacobs for Men on the dirt cheap. Not as smooth or well rounded (Jacobs is slightly more floral to my nose in a good way) but, for $$$ it was a no brainer. Purchased the eau de Parfum version of M 2-3 months later and it's nearly identical with a slightly more pronounced plum note and a smoother overall composition for the princely sum of $14.99.

If you enjoy a nice aromatic with florals, musk and woods that gives a nice clean vibe and you see either one of these on discount, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending you to snatch it up.

20220604_064837.jpg

Etat Libre d’Orange - Remarkable People
Darn this house, another that on paper I shouldn’t like, but it’s wonderful. I had different plans for a summer scent, but here we are.
Grapefruit and cardamom opening, fizzy, perfumey in a good way. They call it a champagne accord. Curry Neo Jungle Essence (yes that’s what they call it) which sounds awful, but it really works here. Dry down is labdamum, sandalwood (javanol?) and Lorenox (an amber, wood, leather aromachemical) Normally I despise, but here it’s excellent and a superb complement to that bright opening.
It’s a little sweet, but not cloying at all, somehow it just works.
Out of my collection it reminds me of Histoires de Parfums Outrecuidant, but the ELdO leans more masculine, a bit simpler, which in this case is better as a summer wear.
Great juice!

@GearNoir interestingly, some reviews compare it to Dior Homme, so you must have been on to something.

Last edited:
@GearNoir interestingly, some reviews compare it to Dior Homme, so you must have been on to something.
If you love Myrsol Agua De Limon, you should love DHC. It’s the perfect compliment/logical next step in fragrance profile from an AS to a frag for that sweet lemon.

If you love Myrsol Agua De Limon, you should love DHC. It’s the perfect compliment/logical next step in fragrance profile from an AS to a frag for that sweet lemon.
The tricky thing sounds like finding a good year, do you know how to tell a pre 2013 to more modern versions?

Edit:
Some people are saying the recent version is still OK. It’s one I can actually go out and test locally too.

Last edited:
The tricky thing sounds like finding a good year, do you know how to tell a pre 2013 to more modern versions?

Edit:
Some people are saying the recent version is still OK. It’s one I can actually go out and test locally too.
The consensus I’ve read is that from 2013 to the 2021 differences are just longevity, the scent is fairly identical. Dior batch codes are available to enter online to check if you have grey market interests.

This one is subtle yet so beautiful in its construction and how it evolves during one's wearing of it. Musk, Iris, & Florals, that's it. There is a pinch of sweetness that is light and unobtrusive that shows itself from time to time. It damn near pulls almost feminine in its early stages but, the magic happens about 20-30 minutes in where the Violet with a persuading powdery accord kicks in that steers it towards a stoic and masculine aura. Masculinity in force but, with a softer side that to me is truly mesmerizing and unforgettable. Musc for Him will not be for everyone and sadly, it was discontinued some time back. Nevertheless, if your an addict of musk & florals and happen to come across this elixir I'd recommend just giving it a go. Truly a masterpiece of a creation in soft gentlemanly assertiveness that few other fragrances in the floral/musk category can match let alone surpass regardless of designer or niche classification. If you don't like musk, iris or florals with a powdery undertone, stay clear of this juice. For those that do, it's a reward to the smelling senses that is nearly unmatched in perfumery today.
View attachment 82941
Just saw this, great review, I have the EDP which I understand is pretty much the same, and you nailed it. Looking for the EDT, though it’s getting a bit outlandish here in Europe now.

Back