The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo
I’ve put off getting this, since I had a well used sample, and there was always something ‘more interesting’ to get. Well no longer, for me, this is the GOAT of the colognes, and a welcome addition to the fragrance drawer. More later, been a super long day here.

Day -
Lorenzo Villoresi - Uomo
Yeah a fabulous amber cologne, bright and strong natural citrus opening, given some legs with a great amber.
Very similar to Le Galion Cologne Nocturne, I didn’t realize it from the samples, but with a full bottle and liberal spraying I see it now. But glad to have both, it’s just such a wonderfully wearable type of scent for me.

Evening -
Houbigant - Duc Vervins l’Extreme
Holy 90‘s green! Seriously this is the archetype, fans of Aqua Brava, Quorum etc, if you’re nat afraid to spend some money for a frag, seek this out, the opening is just amazing, so much better than the cheapies in my drawer. Yeah you’re going to smell like the ‘Cologne Guy’ but you’ll know how much better this is than a a drug store cheapie.
Not sure I’d wear it in public tbh, but it’s lovely anyway.

Frederic Malle - Synthetic Jungle
My quest for a great green continues! Oh what a wonderful opening, that truly lived up to it’s name, for maybe 15 minutes, then it just turns into a very generic white flower and vanilla affair, no one who buys something from this house with a name like that is looking for such a crap drydown, IMO a huge fail with such a promising opening. What is it with some many greens that have great openings and crap dry downs? Diptyque Eau de Lierre is still top contender for this summer’s green. Ok it’s not splashy at any point, but it’s also always good, and GREEN.

Duc de Vervins from yesterday, was nice, but maybe a bit dated and gold chain feeling for me. It’s that weird 80’s90’s brown / green that was so popular, but aged like shag carpet. I’m glad to have the sample, and will surely let it be one of those ‘Guilty pleasure‘ scents. I mean let’s face it, I’ve probably aged like shag carpet too.

Back