The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What Fragrance Did You Use Today?

Parle Moi de Parfum - Chypre Mojo

Another solid offering from the house. If you've smelt DG's Chaipre this is like a cleaner perfume version of that (which the DG aftershave isn't blah.)

It's got a strong ripe mango note, not totally to the overripe point like Chaipre, but just on the brink. Underneath is a resinous quality, perhaps the patchouli carnation accord, that keeps this totally unisex, such that I feel very comfortable wearing it. In fact, I'm really digging it.

--------

A quick update on Tomboy Neroli, the more important thing first the Mrs actually said I smelt good without me sticking my wrist in her face. So an unforced compliment is a big plus. It's super generic man frag, but super well done. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. Though there are cheaper offerings of a similar experience to be had.

Which leads to my preliminary opinion on the house. They seem to be choosing classic categories and making classic versions of each. Even one of the scent I've tried to now has had the feeling. No of them stand out as unique, but all as just really well done versions of their type.

For that reason, knowing there are a lot of us trying to get our feet wet in the frag world, a sample set from this house it highly recommended as a way to at least build a good reference point.

High quality? Nope. Jaw dropper? Na. But, for the high heat when you want something inoffensive that smells clean and super easy to wear that is airy & fresh CK One Summer (2016) is a pleaser. Lime with a Mojto vibe with woods, musk, light florals & fruit notes that is not sweet at all. Awesome when it gets into the 90F+ range. Stays on the skin for about 7-8 hours. Not to shabby....

92417197-1464-4F9B-9799-D98B7BAF6B3A.jpeg

Parle Moi de Parfum - Woody Perfecto

Well, once again, there is something strangely familiar and archetypal here, and yet fleeting and hard to grasp.

I like this quite a lot, when I can smell it. It has strong opening, but it lasts about 15 seconds, then it almost totally disappeared, now I'm getting whiffs here and there and the whiffs are a lovely, lemony cedar with a tinge of vetiver and amber funk.

After each sample I keep feeling, in a good, almost deja vu kind of way, that I've smelt this before but where? None of them project very strongly, which is plus for me, since I wear them at home for me. And they do the disappear and reappear in a shape shifted form thing.

I keep feeling like that unlike many other modern niche houses, they aren't trying to tell a story, but rather to build archetypes of pure fragrance. I personally really like this approach, and even if I don't wind up buying anything, feel like this is an extremely fascinating journey through fragrance.

I'll keep reporting on the set here, even if it's just a way to organize my thoughts on the experience.

------

Follow up on Chypre Mojo - this didn't do the disappearing act, but did settle down to something very similar to Floid Black, but of course, done with more care and sophistication. If you're a Floid Black fan, you might want to try this out.

I kept getting weird deja vu moments from it randomly throughout the day, which made it a very fun trial.

Last edited:
Penhaligon's to the rescue! Just put my cloth mask on which I was just wearing 20min ago and it smells like a dog just took a dump in it. How that can be with it just sitting on my desk I have no idea. The office supply of Penhaligon's Endymion from @Dave in KY fixed it right up!

Penhaligon's to the rescue! Just put my cloth mask on which I was just wearing 20min ago and it smells like a dog just took a dump in it. How that can be with it just sitting on my desk I have no idea. The office supply of Penhaligon's Endymion from @Dave in KY fixed it right up!
tenor.gif

An update on today's fragrance, since I can't edit my previous post anymore...

The leather gave way to heavy incense and spice as it dried down. You guys should definitely try this one.

An update on today's fragrance, since I can't edit my previous post anymore...

The leather gave way to heavy incense and spice as it dried down. You guys should definitely try this one.
Leather and spice yes. Incense is a hard no.

Back