The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Another local winner!

Firestone Walker Unfiltered DBA

I seem to have found my beer niche - toasty blonde ales.

Was super curious to try The Botanist gin from Bruichladdich so I popped while waiting for dinner. The nose is softer than Bombay and the taste is totally different. I get citrus up front with a finish of juniper. But the juniper is much softer and rounder than Bombay. I will drink this from time to time for sure. Winner of a blind buy.

Tried Deanston Virgin Oak. It was fine and for the price not a bad general dram.

The Balvenie Week of Peat. Oh em gee this stuff is delicious!
I am so tempted to open my bottle of Balvenie 21 Portwood. It came into the collection in 2003…😳 Maybe later…

Bought a Kona Brewing Island Hopper variety case. Tried the Longboard Lager tonight…I can stomach it but I’m definitely not a lager guy 😂

Tonight

uPWoRKI.jpg

Do you make your own? If so, care to share the recipe?
Yes, instead of a normal 1:1 the rich syrup is 2 parts Demerara to 1 part water, heated on the stove until the sugar is dissolved. Super easy, not worth buying the premade. But you do need Demerara sugar, Turbinado will work too.

.... But you do need Demerara sugar, Turbinado will work too.

As luck would have it (or...because I followed the rules in my in-laws bartender book) I have demerara sugar. In fact, I'd gotten out of the habit of adding it to my Mai Tai's. That changed over the weekend. Its a subtle flavor I'd forgotten about. I'll have to mix up some of this rich syrup recipe and try that in place of my usual 'small scoop into the bottom of the shaker' method. Thanks for sharing.

Back