The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

Not pictured the last half of buffalo trace also gone.
That is where they should be. Either you put them away….or you drink them…otherwise you’re a liquor store! Actually, I would partially fall into that category…never mind, go pour yourself a bourbon and be well!

Tonight's Libation and oh what a treat! I know I am going to get a whole bunch of Crap for this, but it could give Guinness a run for it's Money on my palate...

Gerry! @Fenster THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! DELICIOUS!!

giphy.gif

NvEgbWO.jpg

Had a sip of this stuff last night. Bought a bottle while on vacation to Pennsylvania.

1626778908061.png

Bought it from Conneaut Cellars Winery and Distillery. Normally you can sample the wine and spirits but since this one is a limited edition, I had to purchase taste...untasted. Evidently this is a recipe and method that goes back to 1860 and hasn't been made since prohibition era. I wouldn't call this Rye exactly smooth...but it's not overly bitty either. I would deem this a "spicy" rye as opposed to the sweet variety that most of us are used to these days. Honestly, I am not sure I have tasted a rye whiskey quite like this one. It's good...It's real good...but it goes down hot!

A little about the whiskey from the maker...

Meadville Rye Whiskey is distilled using the original recipe, created in 1860.​

This is real Pennsylvania rye, the way it was made when rye was the most popular whiskey in America, and Pennsylvania ryes ruled them all.

We start with the grains: locally grown rye and barley. That’s it – no corn or wheat. We use those grains and fresh yeast to make a sweet mash. It’s a bit more challenging than using the traditional sour mash, demanding more effort and attention. We think it’s worth it.

Meadville Rye is bottled in bond.​

That means it’s distilled exclusively at our facility – we don’t cheat and blend whiskeys from other producers – and aged for no less than four years at 100 proof.

The results are extraordinary. You’ll find aromas of walnut bread and blackjack sugar – the scent of the scorched caramel crust on a creme brulee. Take a sip, and you’ll get the flavors of rye bread, vanilla, caramel, and oak, all underlined with a nutty smokiness. Upfront, there’s a hint of cinnamon; at the finish, you’ll get a bit of tangerine. Meadville Rye is big and complex, a whiskey to be savored.

Had a sip of this stuff last night. Bought a bottle while on vacation to Pennsylvania.

View attachment 56010

Bought it from Conneaut Cellars Winery and Distillery. Normally you can sample the wine and spirits but since this one is a limited edition, I had to purchase taste...untasted. Evidently this is a recipe and method that goes back to 1860 and hasn't been made since prohibition era. I wouldn't call this Rye exactly smooth...but it's not overly bitty either. I would deem this a "spicy" rye as opposed to the sweet variety that most of us are used to these days. Honestly, I am not sure I have tasted a rye whiskey quite like this one. It's good...It's real good...but it goes down hot!

A little about the whiskey from the maker...

Meadville Rye Whiskey is distilled using the original recipe, created in 1860.​

This is real Pennsylvania rye, the way it was made when rye was the most popular whiskey in America, and Pennsylvania ryes ruled them all.

We start with the grains: locally grown rye and barley. That’s it – no corn or wheat. We use those grains and fresh yeast to make a sweet mash. It’s a bit more challenging than using the traditional sour mash, demanding more effort and attention. We think it’s worth it.

Meadville Rye is bottled in bond.​

That means it’s distilled exclusively at our facility – we don’t cheat and blend whiskeys from other producers – and aged for no less than four years at 100 proof.

The results are extraordinary. You’ll find aromas of walnut bread and blackjack sugar – the scent of the scorched caramel crust on a creme brulee. Take a sip, and you’ll get the flavors of rye bread, vanilla, caramel, and oak, all underlined with a nutty smokiness. Upfront, there’s a hint of cinnamon; at the finish, you’ll get a bit of tangerine. Meadville Rye is big and complex, a whiskey to be savored.

Never been there, but that is only a couple hours away from me. @dangerousdon did you try any of their bourbon?

Never been there, but that is only a couple hours away from me. @dangerousdon did you try any of their bourbon?
I did. It’s good. But I wouldn’t make a special trip for it. The two best things I’ve tasted from them is their spiced rum and their amaretto (not on the website). Yes you read that right. Their amaretto is amazing. Unlike anything I have tasted before. I’ll bust out the bottle and do a review later.

Back