The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you drinking tonight?

My White Sox just no-no'd the Pirates so had to take a victory shot.

66a8f9cc09bd6dcc911a74acccca50f7.jpg

This.....
balvenie.jpg
The Bottle:
Nose - rich, sweet, fruity creamy toffee notes
Taste - Vanilla Sweet Oak Vanilla ( ME: ( ME: with some drops of water ) -
Finish - Warm, soft & Lingering

ME:
Nose - butter toffee, orange and pear, and a rum ca. Bacardi 151 note. A few drops of water REALLY open up the nose Toffee all the way, and the vanilla peaks through
Taste - without water - Sweet, not really vanilla, powerful, Rum, Orange & Spices Sharp on the palate light smoky oak, not peaty at all
with a few drops of water - really opens up , smooths out and a bit more rum goodness sweetness goes away, smoky oaky
Finish -Without water - Sharp Hot and toffee forward with the rum and wood
With Water -Smooths out incredibly, Toffee, smoke and the pear/orange, rum hints leave and just a nice warm comforting linger ok with some milk chocolate, excellent with dark chocolate and almonds

1st impressions are very favorable will be a great sipper on a daily basis. However if you are into the heavy, peaty, smokey this is not it, I would call it an everyday sipper, better with about 6-8 drops of water. Have not tried on ice, however I do not think it would be a good overall. This is an up or a wee smidge of water drops scotch to me. Definitely is true to its Carribean Rum Homage for sure. A Drink for a pirate bar none. Lovely. It might even take a bit of a lemon rind as well. All of the writing and reports state that the rum cask finish enhances the vanilla, but to me it was more toffee than vanilla. JW Whitewalker is much more vanilla forward to my palate

I will leave the Big ice and rocks glass for the Monkey Shoulder.

PS - almost purchased the PortWood, but I would have had to sleep in my car LOL, but it is on the list

I thought I was sipping Texas on Fire at first sip. I get the Smoke, smokey peat and campfire/creosote. Waiting for the caramel and vanilla to come thru.......
IMG_20200826_182341992.jpg

@Spider You were wondering about the clear ice by Tovolo 1st attempt disaster, 2nd attempt not bad, pretty clear still working out the kinks and spillage LOL Better than other ones I have tried

zPKKjVY.jpg

... oh and drinking more Monkey Shoulder tonight

K4ZSjsq.jpg

Back