The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What are you anxiously waiting to be delivered ???

I very much want a Mark II Speedmaster like the one on that cover. Very nice.
It is funny how we can always want something for years and when it is time we choose something else. For me it was the Moon watch or Speedmaster Professional which morphed into a 42mm size. For well over 10 years I admired it and even tried it on in an airport duty free shop multiple times. When I finally decided to pull the trigger (my 55th birthday present) in 2012 I changed watches.

The Moon watch was not self winding (which I knew and was fine to deal with), it didn’t have a date (which I like), had a plastic crystal which would scratch and regularly have to be buffed out and was not a certified chronometer.

Then I found the Speedmaster 3210.5000 which I purchased. I wasn’t going into space and that made the sapphire crystal vastly superior, it was self winding, was a certified chronometer, the 40mm size fit me better and it had a date. The other difference was that the dials were at 6, 9, and 12 o’clock with the date at 3 compared with 3, 6 and 9 o’clock on the then current moon watch.

Almost 9 years later, I’m still satisfied with decision.

It is funny how we can always want something for years and when it is time we choose something else. For me it was the Moon watch or Speedmaster Professional which morphed into a 42mm size. For well over 10 years I admired it and even tried it on in an airport duty free shop multiple times. When I finally decided to pull the trigger (my 55th birthday present) in 2012 I changed watches.

The Moon watch was not self winding (which I knew and was fine to deal with), it didn’t have a date (which I like), had a plastic crystal which would scratch and regularly have to be buffed out and was not a certified chronometer.

Then I found the Speedmaster 3210.5000 which I purchased. I wasn’t going into space and that made the sapphire crystal vastly superior, it was self winding, was a certified chronometer, the 40mm size fit me better and it had a date. The other difference was that the dials were at 6, 9, and 12 o’clock with the date at 3 compared with 3, 6 and 9 o’clock on the then current moon watch.

Either way…you ended up with a badass watch! Speedmasters are awesome and such a legacy! I’d love to get one eventually.

Either way…you ended up with a badass watch! Speedmasters are awesome and such a legacy! I’d love to get one eventually.
My wife's wedding gift to me was a Speedy sapphire sandwich. The Speedy in all her variants is truly a timeless watch, you really can't go wrong with any of them!

p3ss48zirbkc4so4g0c4wgcsksokc0

Smart Helix Apollo Light - Full Set
This is a first for me guys, I've only had vintage razors and inexpensive modern ones. But I've been carefully watching the high end razor space, before settling on the Smart Helix.

p3ss48zirbkc4so4g0c4wgcsksokc0

Smart Helix Apollo Light - Full Set
This is a first for me guys, I've only had vintage razors and inexpensive modern ones. But I've been carefully watching the high end razor space, before settling on the Smart Helix.
Please explain your reasoning, I’ve been in the exact same boat for years. I don’t own a single modern safety razor.

Please explain your reasoning, I’ve been in the exact same boat for years. I don’t own a single modern safety razor.

I hear you man! I was that way for years, and really didn't expect to find anything that would unequivocally sway me. Here's some of my reasons, I'll start a thread when I actually get it.
  • I've been reading a lot of reviews on it, and they are all saying it's a great smooth but efficient shaver. And a lot of owners wondering why it's not getting more attention.
  • I have a thing for that retro Soviet styling
  • I've been really watching what I like and don't like in my razors, in fact I've just been using Fatips and Gibbs Adjustable lately because they seem to give me the best post shave feeling. I've got a big problem with itchy neck hair when it comes back in. The design of the Apollo seems to follow similar angles and a cap centric shave, which is what agrees with me.
  • I thought having at least one razor with a touch longer handle would be nice.
  • The local shave community has a few folks who have one and they are all really happy with it, including the pickiest guy I know, who owns a number of high end razors. I think that's what put me over the top.
Also ironically, I'm really trying to reduce the amount of stuff in my cabinet, it's sort of dysfunctional. I'd rather just have a few nice things that actually fit the space.

Anyway, for me, it's definitely a big deal. I know there are lots of guys who go though high end razors like candy, but for me, this is likely a once (few) in a lifetime purchase.

Last edited:
Back