The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

What’s new to you?

Picked up this awesome Shaving Mug/Scuttle and Brush from a local Facebook Marketplace seller. They are both made of pewter, luckily the kind that has no lead in it. As far as I can tell from googling. the brush dates to around 1927!? If anyone knows more about pewter, I'd love to know.

The mug has a few scratches and a little bit of pitting, but for the most part it is in wonderful condition.
View attachment 36165
The mug is absolutely gigantic! Here it is compared to an Old Spice Mug.
View attachment 36166
View attachment 36168
Makers Mark for the Mug.
View attachment 36167

View attachment 36170View attachment 36171
The brush is a real surprise, it has a little pitting on one side that should come out with the buffer and a small ding on the base. I thought for sure it's knot was a goner, but once I had it in my hands, I found it to be solid. I've already washed it 3 times with dove soap, shampoo and conditioner. It seemed almost unused and only lost 8 hairs though the cleaning process. I can't imagine it is from 1927, but maybe??? I think I'll use it for my next shave. It has a nice pure/best badger and it smells fine, no wet dog smell at all.

Here's a shot of the makers mark.
View attachment 36169
That is a beautiful set!!!

Back