The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

What are the scent notes on the Grand Bay? Was looking at that one since the Dominica has disappeared.
I would say this is more of a classic Bay rum scent but on the lighter side of things. I know that doesn't help all that much...sorry. I can send you sample if you would like?

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (Second Shave)
Soap/Cream: WSP - Ugly Bay Rum
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan in Finest Badger
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

Still Bay Rum Week and I have a few soaps on the schedule! Today's lineup consisted of WSP "Ugly" Bay Rum that was given to me in a PIF by none other than our man of three names...Stephanie Charlotte Francis @SteveChuckFrank ! 🤪 Really though, I am not sure why this is called ugly...other than the container missing a label...it looks just fine to me! Performance on this soap is top notch! Maybe not the best...but it is up there. If I had to grade this on Chad's scale...I think it would be a very top Tier 2 or even slip into the Tier 1 area at the bottom. I will say that where this soap excels at is that it is very slick. Not as moisturizing as I would like...but not drying either. The scent is going to be on the sweeter side of things with a tad bit more of a clove scent than most. But i really like the stuff and will continue to use it. Splashed on several glugs of Bootlegger's Bay Rum and I am ready to take on the world...take on the world smelling like a pirate in a three piece suit! The pic today is less staged and more of a lather and bathroom candid. The tricky part was trying to keep from catching my hairy body in the mirror! 🤪

The Danger Zone:

Not much going on. The wife is sick again. So she gets to stay home with the Danger Hounds. All in all life is clicking away.

I hope Tuesday brings productivity and satisfaction to your day! Kick some butt today Cadre!

Glad you're enjoying the "Ugly" Bay Rum! I think I remember getting a strong lime note from that one too. Definitely a good one 👍.

Bummer about the Mrs. not feeling well, at least she gets to stay home and hang out with the dogs today!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless (Third Shave)
Soap/Cream: Buffalo Shave Co. - Saloon No. 10
Brush: Stirling 24mm Fan in Finest Badger
Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Captain's Choice - Bay Rum

Yup...Bay Rum week continues. And I decided to pull out one of my favorite bay rum scents...Buffalo Shave Co. - Saloon No. 10. This isn't your typical bay rum scent though. It's a Root Beer and bay Rum Scent. Heavy on the root beer but the spicy notes of the bay rum are still there! I only wish the soap was just a tad bit better. Not a bad shaving soap by any stretch of the imagination. Buffalo Shave Co. hit all the notes that make a good shaving soap, but it just doesn't excel at any one thing. Making this a soap that performs solidly in the middle of Tier 2. But like I said...this scent is to die for! Sadly again, this soap and the soap maker are no longer to be found. So between what I have in Saloon No. 10 and another scent I have in this maker...that will be it.

I had a decent enough shave but I ended up with more irritation than I was expecting. I might have been using more pressure than I thought, but I am not sure. I don't think it was the soap because I have used it several times before. Oh well, I ended up with a DFS anyway so it is all good! Several glugs of Captain's Choice Bay Rum and I am ready for the day.

The Danger Zone:

Been working out pretty consistently lately. The program I am using to track my progress as well as tell me what exercises, weights, reps, and sets to use and do really makes thins super easy for me. Over the past week or so I have noticed that the weights have leveled off some and I wasn't working as hard. I mean...this is a good thing right? Well I checked in the program online and it turns out there is a feature that requires you to do a strength test every so often before it allows you to progress with weights. This is to avoid injury. So I did the strength test and continued on. Well my next session, the weights increased significantly and I was pushing a whole lot more than I was expecting! I am continuing to do yoga but I am doing it from home. I had a notion that I was over doing it and might have been doing more harm to my back than good. So I kind of go easy in that arena for the time being. Since I wasn't going to yoga on Tuesday and Thursday I needed to do something. I have been working on increasing cardio activity (albeit slowly) so I decided yesterday to do a spin class. It was not what I was expecting and I really enjoyed it. So it looks like I found a new aerobic activity that I like!

Having a cup of coffee with the my best friends on the Internet...it's you cadre! I hope you all have a wonderful Hump Day! It's that much closer to the weekend!

Back