The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - Oud Minerale
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: A&E Post Shave Serum No. 3

Well I am sure like everyone else that ordered a TSC 1st Anniversary Brush that I am enjoying the "samples" that came with it. One of these "samples" of course is the CBL Oud Minerale by @CBLSoap.com and I couldn't love it any more. I think a lot of us have come to love Chris' soaps. And with each use of a new soap, I have a gretter and greater appreciation of these. I might be crazy...but I think this soap is performing better than the last! I am sure it is me becoming more familiar with the soap and the subtle nuisances in how it performs, but it seems to get better and better. The scent is out of this world! A little aquatic and subtle...but strong enough to keep on going. A lot of aquatic type scents seem to vanish immediately or knock you out of your socks. But Oud Minerale seems to be subtle and last a while! Needless to say...I am in love with this soap.

The Shaving Cadre First Anniversery Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu is a knock out! This is now my third Sorrentino brush and I think they get better every time I purchase a new one. His craft may rival other in the hobby and I am looking forward to other brushes by him. The brush handle is longer than I was expecting. Don't worry, this is a good thing. It fit perfectly in these gargantuan hands of mine. The Timber Wolf Synthetic knot is a higher loft than I am used to...but worked out great for my expectations. I will say this knot is a bit more of a lather hog than I expected. This isn't good or bad, it just is. But I am digging it nonetheless.

Three wonderful passes and I am coming out super smooth! My only issue with this shave is that I didn't have an aftershave that perfectly matches. So I opted for the A&E Post Shave Serum No. 3 that is super moisturizing and is lightly scented in an Aventus scent!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Clown Puke
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic
Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accoutrements - American Blend

Just a quick one today gents. Even though I have been up since 2:30 AM ( had a quick thought in my dreams about work on something I need to do and couldn't go back to sleep...woe is me)! Anyway...I have been enjoying perusing the forums and watching some member vids.

Anyway...Decided that since this week's theme for the April soaps is a free week...what better time than now to test out my clown puke! I wasn't sure what to expect but I can tell you I wasn't expecting what I got. First it took a good while, much longer than usual, to load my brush. Then the lather was EXTREMELY thirsty. The lather I got was really good...but much creamier than I was expecting. The Clown Puke soap really hit all the qualities of a good soap...but maybe not the best. But either way...I thought I had a good shave going until the end. Then I realized I had all sorts of irritation, nicks, cuts, weepers, on the neck and face. I definitely didn't feel them when I was shaving...and nothing was super serious. But it wasn't a great shave nonetheless. I definitely think it was the blades fault more than anything. Oh well...a couple glugs of FAB and all was well. Okay...alll wasn't that well as it stung like hell! But at least I smell great!

Hope the Cadre has a great Tuesday!

Ouch, hope the day improves for you buddy ! Hopefully you tried everything before adding it to the puke. I do that to ensure nothing in the soap will irritate. Here's to hoping it was the blade.

That sucks Donald. I’ve experienced lack of sleep effecting a shave in a big way.

How’s the scent on your Clown Puke?

Bummer the shave was rough. Hope the rest of the day makes up for it!

The Danger Zone:

No shave today as yesterday's wasn't all that great and I am giving the face a rest. That and I got up super early to drive the wife to New Orleans to jump on a plane. It's just me and the Danger Hounds until Sunday night.

After the trip and back from the airport...I had my first appointment with the Chiropractor. I was a little apprehensive about going but wanted to out as I didn't feel the traditional way with the Orthopedist and the Physical Therapist really did that much for me. I have been taking charge of my own health lately and this is no exception. I have read up a good bit on Chiropractic practices and it seems the term Chiropractic is a very general term. It ranges from someone who simply just does an adjustment to a practice where there are physical therapists, message therapists, nutritionists and much more. It seems they range from very shady to highly professional. So my apprehension about going was warranted. A coworker of mine recommended this practice and a little research of my own revealed that this doc travels with a Crossfit team and works on their needs.

Walking into the establishment it really looked more like a regular doctor's office or physical therapist than some of the places I have seen on YouTube. I was relaxed a bit when one of the physical therapists walked into my room and asked me about my ailments and my some other physical history. When the Chiropractor walked in he started to discuss in great detail a conservative treatment plan and how things on the body that relate to my lower back pain work. He explained things in much more detail than any doctor ever has with me. Needles to say...I was already impressed.

First I was laid on a table and electrodes were hooked up to areas on my lower back to help stimulate muscles. While this was going on...heat was applied to these areas as well. Next the Chiropractor did three adjustments. I don't remember what they were called, but two of them were aimed it improving movement in my hips and back while the other one was specific to the lower back. Next the message therapist worked certain areas of my back, glutes, and hips. And finally I was placed on a roller table with a cold treatment.

That was the extent of the treatment for the day. When I got up from the roller table I was sore...I mean I was really sore! But as I started to move around a bit the soreness went away. After about thirty minutes...I was feeling pretty good. I'm not going to say that I was completely pain free. But I didn't feel as stiff as I have been and some of the pain was a bit decreased. I go back in a few days, so we will see what happens there. I give this a few treatments and see what happens. So far...so good.

Hope the Cadre had a wonderful day!

Many Chiropractic offices are as you say shady. My mother is a chiropractic nurse and many of the good ones are also big into holistic medicine versus the prescription meds types at normal dr offices.give it time and pain free should be the normal.

Nice stuff Don. Grew up going t Chiropractors regularly and have when needed as an adult. Been to some quacks and to some VERY good ones. Hope it helps
Many Chiropractic offices are as you say shady. My mother is a chiropractic nurse and many of the good ones are also big into holistic medicine versus the prescription meds types at normal dr offices.give it time and pain free should be the normal.
Thanks guys! As I said before I am in to taking charge of my own health! I am all for holistic medicine in may cases as they seem to want to get to the root of the problem instead of treating a symptom. So far me experience is very positive!

Back