The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

You all seem to get out to NYC much? Lumping Manhattan in with Strong Island, and Staten Island. Heck I haven\'t heard an accent like that in NYC since the 1990s. \n\nYou all forget we are the Educated, Sophisticated, Progressives Entitled (read Butt Holes) who know better than all the rest of the country and we are the only ones that matter. (Obviously sarcasm)
\nI joke about you but I love NY\'rs. That week of training had 1 instructor from Queens. Love the accent

\n\nQueens is it\'s own country .. You need a passport to get in.
\n\nHe\'s right! Actually, you get a true NY\'er with the thick accent who grew up in a neighborhood down there and he\'d give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. You should have seen these folks after 9/11, they all pulled together without regard for their own well being. True, us upstaters are red and NYC is basically a blue area and that\'s a constant frustration for upstaters.

Wow! So much talk about New York in my thread and I have never been! It's on my list of places to go...but still...I have never been! Thanks guys for keeping the conversations going!

Razor: Mekur Progress
Blade: Voskhod (5th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: A&E - Post Shave Serum No. 3 (Light Aventus Scent)
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accoutrements - Platinum

Had another shave yesterday with the Yuma that I didn't record because work beckoned. But I will give my thoughts about that in the Yuma thread today. Today's shave with the Progress was uneventful and that is exactly what I needed. But the Voskhod was on it's fifth shave and it noticeably went down hill. It could have been that I switched b
etween a couple of razors, or that a couple of the shaves I was on more than a two day growth. Either way...that blade is likely done. And I will try to see how many shaves I can get out of a fresh one with the same razor for the One Blade in February challenge. The Wholly Kaw soaps are seriously some of the best out there. And when I picked up Agrumi in Estate I had high hopes. I gave in to the marketing of this soap as it was advertised as having collagen peptides in the formula for anti-aging properties. I don't know about all that...but I do suspect that if you used this soap for a lengthy period of time (a few months or more) it might actually smooth your skin out. Nevertheless, it is a really good soap. When first purchased, I was REALLY UNDERWHELMED by the scent. It was nice and all...but kind of ordinary. I was really expecting something more dynamic that Wholly Kaw is used to putting out. Fast forward a bit...this soap has really grown on me and it will likely be used up before the summer is out. Funny how our preferences develop. All-in-all today...I had a really care free shave. Maybe not as smooth as I would like...but smooth enough!

The Danger Zone:

I am getting into a case finally that has been on my desk for a bit now and man...it has turned out to be very difficult. It is completely out of my wheelhouse and it is completely stressing me out! I typically don't get stressed out in this way...but this one is a doozy! To make matters worse...it HAS to be done absolutely no later than the end of March. Don may have to work some long hours for the next few months...
1f612.png

It is Friday! And while I have a list of projects to do this weekend at home...I am kind of looking forward to it! There is an LSU basketball game I want to watch...but that isn't until early evening. Tonight, Penn State has a wrestling match (vs.Ohio State) on TV (Big Ten Network) and the Father-in-Law is coming over to watch. He wrestled for Penn State back in the late 60s and loves to watch a match when he can. Louisiana isn't in to wrestling like northern schools are...so his chances to watch a match are limited. I am kind of looking forward to this.

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful weekend!

Nice shave and thoughts Don. Hope the case falls into place for you as you progress through it and can learn from it for the future.

Nothing wrong with an uneventful shave, sometimes they're the best. Enjoy the weekend.

Oh ... and congrats on the office.

Enjoy the weekend and man time with the FIL!
Caught up Don. Good stuff, hope you enjoyed the match with the FIL. I’m sure my stepson was watching at his dad’s tonight too.

Thanks guys! Yup...Penn State tromped the Buckeyes in dominating fashion! I don't know much about the sport, but I certainly appreciate the athleticism of these guys. It really is a sport where strength is only a little part of the equation. If you can learn technique and have the endurance and stamina to compete...you can be a winner. It was fun to watch and the wife's dad was really delighted to watch it!

As far as it being a night of men...well not so much. Here is the thing...my wife enjoys this type of stuff too! Honestly, if they had the women wrestling programs back when she was in high school as they do today...my wife would have been a beast! She is already mean as hell when she wants to be and she is competitive in just about EVERYTHING she does. They didn't have girls wresting in her day, but she played hockey and softball. She was actually offered a softball scholarship to several universities...one of which was Penn State. She ended up taking an academic scholarship to Duquesne University in Pittsburgh because it was a full ride and softball scholarships rarely are. She once even contemplated (a few years ago in fact) joining a roller derby league! Yeah...so when it comes to a guys night out with the FiL...yeah...not so much...
1f60b.png

Hey there’s nothing wrong with the wife enjoying some traditionally manly entertainment!

My buddy’s wife is in a roller derby league in Philly. She loves it, but he says she’s always coming home with some sort of injury Lol.

Hey there’s nothing wrong with the wife enjoying some traditionally manly entertainment!

My buddy’s wife is in a roller derby league in Philly. She loves it, but he says she’s always coming home with some sort of injury Lol.

That was one of my wife's biggest concerns. She is constantly presenting in from of legislative committees or at conferences and it probably wouldn't look good for her to show up with a black eye or other bruises or maybe worse...broken bones. It also wouldn't look good for me. I had a friend once who gained a black eye from running into a coat rack where she worked. I was at a store with her for no more than 20 minutes. I kid you not...I was threatened five separate times by different people. Mostly it was something along the lines of "I'll kick your ass and then you can see how it feels." Yeah...I get it...but seriously...people ALWAYS assume that the guy a woman is with caused her the injury.

An old high School friend was doing roller derby for a bit and would still be doing it if it wasnt for the injuries. Blew out knee tomany times. A few surgeries later she could not go on. She tired refering for a bit but I think that proved to hash on her already damaged knee.

Nice new avatar too Don, but we still need to see the goats

Okay, Okay, Okay! I know it's been long overdue...so here are pics from goat yoga...or actually more like "Yoga with Goats and what crazy people do with them!" And before you ask...no I am NOT in any of the pics. So don't ask if that is me wearing those Lu La Roe tights. Seriously! I had no idea that was a thing with guys.

Back