The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I think that is "The Outlaw King." This series follows a Saxon born son of a Noble who becomes an adopted son of the Danish raider Ragnar. It's done quite well.

Yup, I had them confused. The Last Kingdom sounds pretty cool though, I’ll have to check that out. Can’t go wrong with Vikings!

Good shave Don!

I quickly became unimpressed with Vikings due to the more “mature” content. I mean I know it happened, but it doesn’t need to be quite so flagrant in a TV show. How is Last Kingdom with that?

Good shave Don!

I quickly became unimpressed with Vikings due to the more “mature” content. I mean I know it happened, but it doesn’t need to be quite so flagrant in a TV show. How is Last Kingdom with that?

There is some of that... there is nudity but I would venture that the Last Kingdom is a bit more tasteful.

There is some of that... there is nudity but I would venture that the Last Kingdom is a bit more tasteful.

Thanks
1f44d.png

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (4th Use)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - Orange and Frankincense w/Hemp Oil (Pre-Production Soap)
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: A&E Shave Serum No. 3 (Lightly Scented)
The Ultimate Aftershave : Figaro Monsieur

I haven't been taking my time with my shaves over the past couple of weeks. I am feeling rushed all the time as my normal routine has been interrupted with physical therapy and all. But this morning the Danger Hounds woke me up early and I had an additional 45 minutes or so to relax and putter. As well as take my time with a nice relaxing shave. I absolutely love Chris' soaps with hemp oil in it. It just feels nice and really moisturizes the skin. This scent is one of his "perfect scents" in m y opinion and wonder if he will ever make it commercially available. I have enough for a while...but if I ever run out...I will be asking him for some more. I made an observation this morning about Chris' hemp oil soaps. The CBL soaps I have that contain hemp oil and that I bought after he launched his brand are super soft. Not a problem for me because I place performance above all else. Now the couple of small, maybe two ounces or so apiece, of soaps Chris sent me before he became high and mighty with his business (
1f60b.png
) are still soft...but I don't think they are any softer than his other soaps that don't contain hemp oil. I'm not sure what the differences in formulas are...but I'm
I am curious. At any rate...one of the better shaves I have had in a while. A nice three passer with cleanup and I am smoother than a decorative squash! Wait? That's not very smooth. I am pretty smooth...closer to one of Dave's dolphins than not.

The Danger Zone:

Okay...another gene lesson I guess...

One of the most useful things that I found about my DNA is that I have several expressions that may be associated with Vitamin D deficiencies. Here are some of the ones I have:

vitamin D binding protein - rs7041(G;T)
CYP2R1 - rs12794714(A;A)
vitamin D binding protein - rs2282679(A;C)

So as you can see...I not only have one DNA sequence that might increase my risk of Vitamin D deficiency...but I have three. All of this is just a risk of deficiency and does not mean that I have or will have. But guess what? The last time I went to the doc I asked her to test my vitamin D levels. And it turns out that I not only have a deficiency...but I have a pretty severe deficiency. So what do you need it for? You need vitamin D for calcium absorption (think bone health). A deficiency has been linked to different cancers, heart disease, depression, possible weight gain. And there are a multitude of other functions. Anyway...I am on a prescription supplement and I am also taking Cod Liver Oil which contains a healthy amount of Vitamin D3. I am not real happy with the prescription supplement I am on becasue I have read some things about this course of action that I need to discus with the doc. But I don't plan on changing it up until I see her in April.

Anyway...physical therapy is going well...I think it is actually helping. But really...other than the muscle manipulation that the therapist is doing...everything I am doing can be done from home. I still have about four more sessions left so I will keep on it. But I am thinking that at the end of the month I might just do the exercises from home.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Friday and a great start to the weekend!

Don glad the PT is helping your situation.
Interesting insight from the DNA testing. I want to do it too. The inner conspiracist in me wont allow it because what it potentially reveal to insurance companies and the government.

Really should have have nothing to fear but I don’t like a access to my information. And why I did some consulting work for a private intelligence company I was shocked what they learn about you.

Interesting though about your Vit D. I am a huge fan of Carlson’s fish oil products. Some of the purest.

Relaxing shave for the win! The hounds knew just what ya needed.

That is some really interesting stuff with the DNA also. I am listening to the Attia podcasts trying to get caught up. It’s nice ro have the option of exercising at home.

Good to see an update Don! I hope the supplements make a difference for you. We need you to stick around a while!
1f60b.png

Nice shave Don!

Just curious, what's the difference between a prescription supplement and OTC? I've never heard of prescription strength vitamin supplements. I'm assuming it's the actual amount of the vitamin?

Nice shave Don!

Just curious, what's the difference between a prescription supplement and OTC? I've never heard of prescription strength vitamin supplements. I'm assuming it's the actual amount of the vitamin?

That's a good question. The prescription vitamin D I'm taking is 50,000 International Units (IU) of vitamin D2 taken once a week. Most retail supplements of Vitamin D2 or D3 range anywhere from 450 IUs to 5000 IUs. So I am assuming it has to do with dosage...but I am not entirely sure. The one good thing about prescription drugs or vitamins is that they are regulated by the FDA so you know exactly what it contains. OTC supplements you can't always be sure.

So I'm taking the D2 which I have read from several sources that D2 may be less effective when supplementing. D2 is plant based and D3 is animal based...I believe.

Wow that’s a big dosage difference! Makes sense with the regulation though. At least you know you’re getting what you need!

We will see in April if it made any difference or not. From what I'm reading...the D2 treatment will only see marginal improvement. If that is the case, then I'm going to see if we can try a different strategy .

Relaxing shave for the win! The hounds knew just what ya needed.

That is some really interesting stuff with the DNA also. I am listening to the Attia podcasts trying to get caught up. It’s nice ro have the option of exercising at home.

Are you enjoying the podcasts? I am finding that the Peter Attia Drive is incredibly addicting. Even if I don't understand some of it!

Don glad the PT is helping your situation. \nInteresting insight from the DNA testing. I want to do it too. The inner conspiracist in me wont allow it because what it potentially reveal to insurance companies and the government.\n\nReally should have have nothing to fear but I don’t like a access to my information. And why I did some consulting work for a private intelligence company I was shocked what they learn about you. \n\nInteresting though about your Vit D. I am a huge fan of Carlson’s fish oil products. Some of the purest.
\n\nI understand your skepticism. I worked in various forms of the intelligence community for 17 years. I know what various agencies can collect or the companies they contract. I used to spend a considerable amount of time and some money to do my best to keep my info off the net or out of people\'s hands. In the end it was really exhausting and I now just try to minimize what I can. I was hesitant at first about my DNA and decided that the knowledge I can gain about myself and my helthh were worth the risk. \n\nI am trying to finish up the bottle of Whole Foods brand cod liver oil capsules that I have and then I am likely to get a bottle of Carlson\'s. Just about every purity review says Carlson\'s is one of the best!

Back