The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyse Claus Porto - Lime Lime Basil Glycerin Soap
Razor: Colonial Brass General
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 Blade (3rd Use)
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming in Collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche
Brush: TSC Member Brush, aka - the "Luca Brasi" by Eric Sorrentino
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

It's a new year and therefore time to bust out the favorites and the new techniques...well sort of. A while back I bought several pucks of the Musgo Real Glycerin Soap in the Lime-Basil flavor. Got them for a pretty good price. I remember Chris Lindsay of the CBL Master Soap Maker clan saying that he uses a glycerin based soap as a pre-shave. So why the hell not! The jury is out whether or not this really works...but I gave it a shot and I will keep doing using it for a while.

Today i decided to use my ABSOLUTE favorite scent until something better comes along. This is the pinnacle of scents for me. I just love the floral scents in this. The soap ain't no slouch either. That Icarus Base from Declaration Grooming is definitely in the Elite status of soaps. And I will say that even with the General being a little new to me and my inexperience with it...I was able to slice away with a fantastic shave. The Soap I think was what mainly contributed to it!

The General performed very well today. Still hashing out some technique on the neck...but it is coming along. I love the heft of the razor...but I really wish there was some kind of knurling on the handle. With a slick soap like what I used...I feel like I lose the grip quite often.

Three passes and just the ever slightest weeper on the neck. Nothing that a little witch hazel can't handle. Several Glugs of the aftershave of the same name and I smell like I am ready to watch football for the Day!

The Danger Zone:

Not much to say here...as the LSU game is about
to kick off! I just want to wish the cadre a Happy New Year and I hope that this year will be as great for you as it will be for me!

Geaux Tigers!!!

Chris and Doug’s idea to use Williams as preshave has really upped my shaves on non-shower prep days! It’s was a great suggestion.

Rub your fingers a little on an alum block for some extra grip on the Gen!

Very nice shave, Don. Chatillon Lux has really hit some home runs in the scent department.

Awesome setup there for a great shave Don. I know you love that Vide Poche. Ever grt a backup?

Nope...sure didn't. I looked for a while and about the only thing I found were a couple of listings on the Bay that were ridiculously priced! I am hoping that scent becomes available again in some form. Whether it is a soap from Declaration Grooming, or an aftershave or EdT from Chatillon Lux. I figured that if worse comes to worse...then I would see if Chris can make something similar. We will just have to see!

Blade: Schick Proline P-30 Blade (4th Use)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - The Shaving Cadre
Brush: TSC Member Brush, aka - the "Luca Brasi" by Eric Sorrentino
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: Ariana & Evans Post Shave Serum No. 3
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accoutrements - Fresh Vetiver

Yesterday I shaved around 11:00 AM, and I really thought that enough time had lapsed to let my skin rejuvenate and my whisker garden grow. I guess I was mistaken! Let's just say that today's shave is brought to you by a healthy dose of blade feel and sting. It's nothing that I haven't experienced before...but I guess yesterday's shave was a bit closer than I expected. No worries though...that what the post shave is for!

I was really thinking about doing a duplicate of what I did yesterday...I love that Vide Poche scent probably more than any other. But I decided I wanted something different to set the work year off right. I went with The Shaving Cadre scent in the CBL Soap. I really love the peppery scent that comes out in this. I don't know if it is the vetiver or the bitter undertones of the neroli...but either way I really like it.

Only a two pass shave for me this morning as the burn of the blade was approaching unbearable. Finished up by slathering the excess lather from the brush all over my face! Oh, this felt so good! Rinsed and splashed with a healthy dose of witch hazel. Let that dry and then I called an audible and used some A&E Shaving Serum. That usually does the trick. Just before logging on
to TSC...I splashed myself with a healthy dose of Fine Fresh Vetiver. And yup! Just what I was expecting...quite a bit of sting! I likely won't be shaving tomorrow...but man! My face right now is super smooth!

The Danger Zone:

Not much to say other than I want to start the new year right and I have decided to start doing some daily affirmations. They can't hurt at least. happy my LSU Tigers finished off the year with a win. Ended up with 10 wins on the year. At the beginning of the season, most of the experts said LSU would end up with six or seven wins. Feels good that the Tigers proved them wrong. They still need to work towards improving...because me...and every other LSU fan...wants to see them in the playoff picture in the next couple of years!

Yesterday's game was an exciting one...but mostly for all the wrong reasons. Despite turning the ball over a couple of times, committing over 140 yards in penalties, and (sorry Chad) some of the worst refereeing I have seen in a long time...LSU still came out with a win. I would have liked to seen them score more touchdowns than they did as opposed to field goals...but a win is a win!

I hope the Cadre starts off their year on the right foot!

Sorry about the irritation because of closeness of yesterdays shave Don. Similar for me today after the Rx and Kai blade yesterday. Something to be said for close and comfortable daily shaves verses ultra close ones that span more than 24 hours. Have a great day!

And Antepenultimate, ??

And Antepenultimate,
1f602.png
1f602.png

It's the one that comes before penultimate! Hey...that's what you get from a guy that took five semesters of Latin in College and has an English Lit degree!
1f60b.png

It's the one that comes before penultimate! Hey...that's what you get from a guy that took five semesters of Latin in College and has an English Lit degree!
1f60b.png
Yeah, I know what it is. I googled it. Your helping me get my 5 semesters in without the annoyance of attending a class ?

I'm just waiting to see what he uses for his Preantepenultimate aftershave!

Glad you got your win! We were out shopping for chairs and my wife pointed out your team was playing on the TV. They had a nice lead at the time.

Well Don I am all caught up. And I hate to say this but after watching the 3rd quarter of the holiday bowl. I am just done with football. That is until June when I attend camp. Didn't watch any games yesterday. Instead the wife and I just sat around and played board games and watched a movie with the kids.

Well Don I am all caught up. And I hate to say this but after watching the 3rd quarter of the holiday bowl. I am just done with football. That is until June when I attend camp. Didn't watch any games yesterday. Instead the wife and I just sat around and played board games and watched a movie with the kids.

I am with you on this...for the most part Chad. I was going to watch LSU no matter what. But I didn't watch the Sugar Bowl last night...and I sure as hell don't care about watching Alabama and Clemson go at it for the forth time. They are really good football teams that are in the middle of something special...but I don't want to watch it. Thanks for reading Chad!

I’m with you guys—pretty much “done” with football for the time being. I’m sure I’ll watch some of the NFL playoff games and the Super Bowl, but I won’t be tuning in for the National Championship. Kudos to the teams involved, just no interest here. There’s always next year...

Blade: Schick Proline P-30 Blade (5th Use)
Soap/Cream: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - Smoked Black Tea
Brush: Stirling Finest Badger 24mm Fan
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accoutrements - American Blend

After a day of rest from the last shave...I felt more confident today that I was going to have a great shave! I mean it's Friday, right? It's the day of the week most of us look forward to...well at least the end of Friday. I was GOING to have a great shave! I feel embarrassed for not having used LNHC in a while. Such a wonderful soap and is definitely in the Elite status of soaps for me. I'm starting to think that elite soaps are going to need their own rankings or ratings shortly. Beside it being one of the easiest soaps to lather...LNHC Artisan Shave Soap line has maybe the best post shave feel I have experienced. It's a toss up between LNHC and CBL Hemp Oil formulation. Very close. But I feel like I am preaching to the choir here.

Another, and likely my last, shave with the General. If I was only shaving my face...then this would be the perfect razor. Seriously, a two passer on the face alone gives me bbs results. But then again a lot of razors do also. It's the neck area that is giving me fits. I realize that it is my technique that is likely keeping me from absolutely loving the razor. I am likely using too much pressure...and I understand this. But I just can't see myself using this on a daily basis.

So yes...there was some irritation this morning and some nicks and weepers. Nothing serious...but not as pleasant of a shave as I would have liked. But all is well! Some glugs and splashes of Fine American Blend and the world just falls into place. I feel like I can solve world peace and cure cancer right now. I SMELL GREAT!!!

The Danger Zone:

A few weeks ago I went to an Orthopedist because I was having some hip pain. Well it turns out the hip pain also turned into lower back pain. I went for my Physical Therapy evaluation yesterday...and between the doctor and physical therapist it has been determined that I have age related degeneration of the lower spine. Well this sucks! But the nonchalant responses (however, they were not disrespectful) that I received from both doctor and therapist reveal that this is not only a common problem...but also an inevitable problem. I am guessing all those years in the military when I slung on a 100 pound sack on my back and hiked 25 miles probably is finally catching up to me. Talking with the Physical Therapist, she seems to think that I am in a good spot and that with stretching and strength exercises I can be pain free in short order. I asked her if I should think about yoga or something similar...she said that it would definitely help things along.

On a more positive note...the rains here finally stopped! The rivers and streams are swollen to about maximum capacity and it will probably be another week or more for them to get below flood stage again. But the rains have finally stopped. You could almost hear a collective sigh of relief of the residents of Denham Springs last night when the last rain drop fell. It may seem like a small thing for most...but where I live...there is a lot of anxiety when we get that much rain.

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful Friday and if I don't speak with you before...have a fantastic weekend!

Back