The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Mom's moving out? That explains the feeling that you are on the cusp of a life changing change in direction. Then again Clark Griswold thing explains it too.
Exactly!
1f60e.png

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rapira Swedish Steel (7th use)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: TSC Member Brush - The "Luca Brasi" - in Finest Badger by Eric Sorrentino
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Figaro - Monsieur

So I haven't kept up with the last few shaves of mine. A lot going on here at home. Nothing bad or anything...just family stuff! But I'm on my 7th shave with the Rapira Swedish Steel and I have to say...while I like the blade plenty...I won't be shaving beyond a week with this blade. Between my 6th and 7th shaves...this blade became duller than a butter knife cutting sheet metal. I will not be using this blade again. But in general the rapira Swedish Steel is a good blade.

Can't really say enough about CBL Roated Oatmeal Stout other than the only way I think you could improve upon it is with the addition of Hemp Oil. A coiple glugs of the Figaro Monsieur and as another member around here says...everything is right as rain!

Hoping the cadre is having a wonderful weekend!

I think the furthest I’ve pushed a blade has been 5 shaves. Probably could’ve kept going, but I didn’t feel the need to. They’re cheap enough to change out every 3-4 shaves.

Hey, looking forward to the shave video starring extra family members!

Razor: Colonial Brass General
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 Blade (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery in Collaboration w/ Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Sudsy Soapery in Collaboration w/ Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre

A lot if new stuff going on today. I am using the Colonial Brass General that Josh @dagwoodz has graciously lent for a pass around and that Dave of the Daniel Boone variety (I think Daniel Boone is from Kentucky...right?) is donating his efforts to organizing. Thanks guys! I am also using the Schick Proline P-30 blades that accompany them. In addition to the new to me razor and blade...I am using for the first time my exchange gift from that other (and very generous) Don @Quijote who likes to chase windmills...I am using the Sudsy Soapery in Collaboration w/ Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre soap and after shave. I am not going to get into serious details right now...I will have time for that later.

The General is actually more tame than I was expecting. I really went into today's shave with some serious caution. But once I started shaving I realized that this razor blade combo, while not ultra mild, isn't super aggressive either. I would call it medium aggressive...? I like the width of the head but it does require a little adjustment of angles. Nothing too serious...just something that I have to figure out.

The soap is really nice. Out of the tub I do get a very light floral scent with a light citrus scent. In the background I smell something woody. This is not a very strong scent...but it doesn't fade away either. The scent is always present during the shave. It might increase in strength as you lather...but really...not that much. This is actually perfect for those that have wives with sensitive noses or if you are just in the mood for something light. I would rate the SoS at about a 1.5 out of 5...maybe 2-2.5 while lathering. Based off of scent alone...I actually think this is a keeper, and will enter into my weekly rota
tion for a while...maybe even a couple times a week during the spring. From the Sudsy Soapery website...

This traditional chypre fragrance features an unexpected twist. The notes of lemon, ruby red grapefruit, natural rose essential oil, labdanum and oakmoss form the chypre structure, but a note of Nepalese palmarosa provides a bridge between the green oakmoss notes and the citrus top notes. Additionally, a dash of zesty ginger root shavings add a zesty undertone to the citrus to add a new twist to a traditional scent structure.

To be honest...I am not even sure what chypre is or how to pronounce it. But good old Wikipedia says it is...

Chypre is the name of a family (or concept) of perfumes that are characterised by an accord composed of citrus topnotes, a middle centered on cistus labdanum, and a mossy-animalic set of basenotes derived from oakmoss. Chypre perfumes fall into numerous classes according to their modifier notes, which include but are not limited to leather, florals, fruits, and amber.

Good to know...I guess.

The Aftershave...HOLY COW MENTHOL!!!! Yeah...there was menthol in that AS like I have never felt before! It was a sting and an freeze and man did it last a while. I am not opposed to some menthol...or even a lot...but I was not expecting that. This is a witch hazel based AS with a lot of good skin food in it. Sadly, I don't get the nice scent of what the AS and soap set are about until after the menthol tones down a bit. By then...the scent kind of disappears. When the wife wakes up, I will check with her to see if the scent is still there and I just can't smell it.

The Danger Zone:

Well Christmas has come and gone and I am always a little sad. I am glad that some semblance of order begins to be restored...but just seems like day to day life falls flat a little. I guess we are all just hyped up for the holidays and then...everything is normal again. Oh well...it's a short week of work and there are College Football bowl games on. I guess I can pass the time watching some games!

Hope the Cadre had a wonderful holiday season and hope that today is just an AWESOME day!

Back