The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Good shave Don; fun trails of new things! Still have New Years to look forward to! I get what you mean though, all that build up and it’s over in a snap.

Nice shave Don! I feel the same way the day after Christmas. A little sad that it’s all over. It does feel like things seem to fall flat. I guess that’s why they say the time leading up is the most wonderful time of the year!

Sounds like you got a pretty good blast of menthol from that AS. I received a bottle of Stirling witch hazel and aloe in Glacial Wintergreen. The description says it’s like being punched in the face by a snowman. I’m a little scared...lol

Razor: Colonial Brass General
Blade: Schick Proline P-30 Blade (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery in Collaboration w/ Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre
Brush: TSC Member Brush, aka - the "Luca Brasi" by Eric Sorrentino
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Sudsy Soapery in Collaboration w/ Chatillon Lux - Lemon Rose Chypre

Same setup as last time with the exception that I swapped the Stirling Synthetic with the "Luca Brasi." So I really like Sudsy Soapery's soap formulation, both with tallow and without. It is a better than solid soap and at one time the non-tallow version was in my elite status of soaps. They give you 5.5 ounces of soap for a price that other artisans are only giving you 3 to 4.5 ounces. The tubs are packed full! I just wish the soap maker would use a wide mouth 6 ounce tub like many other soap makers do! The mouth on this tub is smaller than others...not super small...but when the tub is full...it makes it harder to lather from. Oh well...minor issues in the scheme of things.

Another shave with the General. I am digging it...but I swear that the Schick Proline blade on it's second use is sharper than the first. Face and cheeks was a solid shave...better than solid even. But I really need to learn the different angles of my neck with this razor. Too many nicks and weepers this morning. Most of them are just tiny ones that went away after rinsing and witch hazel. But I caught myself on the tip of the Adam's Apple that just won't stop bleeding. After moving out of the bathroom and then back into it because of guests over the past month, I have seemed to have lost my styptic pencil. Toilet paper it is...I can't believe I am resorting to such barbaric methods.

Even with more surface fluids than I like this morning...it seems that I got a better than DFS. I'll call this a win! The scent on this soap and aftershave is ever so slight...I am really digging it. A bit more sophisticated that I usually wea
r...and it's really nice. A nice citrus, woody, and floral scent. It really is a nice all year scent too!

The Danger Zone:

Looking forward to more time off. A four day weekend is at hand. But we have received about 8 inches of rain over the past 36 hours or so and the rivers around here are past flood stages. Rain will continue over the next several days and the rivers in my area are expected to rise even further. While I don't think anything major will happen...people around my parts are getting VERY nervous that there will be a repeat of August 2016. If that happens...the wife and I have decided that we will pack our bags and move elsewhere. I don't think we are going to get to that catastrophic of an event...but like I said...people around here are getting nervous.

I hope this Friday before the New Year is a most enjoyable one for the Cadre! This year has definitely been a special one around here. And I am happy to be at least a small part of it. A very small part...but I am happy nonetheless!

Let’s hope that 2016 never repeats itself for you!

Good shave. One of your videos will have to show us how to rock the TP look. ?

Using TP?! Oh the horror! ? Nice shave Dave! We’ve had some pretty wicked storms blow through here the last couple of days also. I’ve been trying to shoo them North so they would pass on by ya.

TP Don? TP? Cmon man you’re better than that ???. Just kidding, I’ve also had to resort to barbaric methods of our forefathers from time to time.

Hope the rains slow down for you. We got a bad storm here Thursday into Friday, luckily it warmed up right before. Otherwise we probably would’ve gotten about 2 feet of snow!

Back