The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I think it would be a better telling if you said you’d had enough of decorating and decided to put your foot down. ?

Glad you’re OK!

I went through my ceiling earlier this year. I know exactly what you mean about a hit to the pride. I can't even think about it without hanging my head in shame.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Chroma Diamante Stainless (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Figaro - Monsieur

Okay, despite that the blade not being as good as I would like I still had a pretty decent shave. I think however, that two shaves out of the Chroma Diamante is going to be enough for me. But the CBL Roasted Oatmeal Stout is a dream! I am very happy I picked up a tub before it all got sold. Definitely one of my favorites. I think it pairs well with Figaro Monsieur. Splashed some of that on LIBERALLY!!! A few "glugs" here and there and I am ready to tackle anything the day brings. Well, at least I will smell good! I tried something different this morning. I did a cold water shave. Normally my tap water with cold fully open is warm enough to make a good cup of tea...but since it's been cooler lately...the faucet yields a fairly cold temperature of water. The results? Not really sure it is any better than the warm water shave...but I will try this out a couple more times.

The Danger Zone:

So to go along with my cold water shave...I have been reading a bit about cold water showers. There are supposedly a lot of really good health benefits and is considered one of the best and simplest (not to mention cheapest as it might actually save you money...albeit a very small amount) bio-hacks. The alleged health benefits range from healt
hier skin to improved mitochondrial health to fat burning. There are many more...but you will have to read up on it yourself! Anyway...at the end of my warm showers...I have been standing under the shower water and slowly decreasing the temperature. As it gets colder I make sure to take deeper breaths and improve oxygen exchange. After a certain temperature though...this becomes more of an involuntary reaction. Anyway...I gradually work toward a very cold shower and then stand in the cold water a little bit longer than yesterday. I am eventually building up to at least five minutes in the cold water. So that is what is happening in the Danger Zone!

I hope the cadre is having an absolutely wonderful week so far!

Cold water shaving, and cold water showers??? Nope, nope and nope.
1f60e.png

Good stuff Don. Cold showers................had enough of those when doing relief work in Puerto Rico. Not going to be doing it on purpose at all, although in the heat there roofing it felt good at the end of the day to get my body temp back down to normal. Have a great day !

You are a braver man than I. Cold showers - maybe in the summertime but since winter is coming. 30s temps... that warm, hot water is a godsend in the mornings.

The cold shaves have been giving me less irritation. So more comfortable, not necessarily closer.

As far as cold showers being beneficial to my health there are many more steps I should do first.

I’ll bet cold showers are fat burning, lol...all that shivering has to do a little something! ?

Thanks for taking one for science!

I actually clean my body in warm-hot water in shower. When it is time to rinse though I switch to cold water. I have been doing my showers this way for years.

"It's 70 degrees out, how did he get hypothermia again?"

It would have to be some life changing health benefits for me to start talking cold showers.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...I know you guys would scoff at that. As far as the cold shave goes...I'm sort of "meh" about that. The cold shower...like I said...I'm not taking a 20 minute shower in the cold water. It's only the last few minutes. I know that it has only been a couple days with it...but so far I am a believer. The immediate things I see is that I have more energy in the morning and my mood is significantly improved. It could be a placebo effect...but I'll continue to do it and see how it goes.

Cold Water therapy has been around for years in various uses. Athletes use ice baths to accelerate healing after games and practices.

Here is a study from Pub Med...

This one is a little week since it only lasted 30 days and shows only statistical findings:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5025014/

I'll try to post more studies later.

I know I busted your chops a bit Don, but I actually am interested in this cold shower theory. I’ve known other people that take luke warm/cold showers but always said they did it to initually to conserve hot water. Then they were just used to it and continued to do it constantly.

Back