The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Don + Mardi Gras = priceless
Don doesn't do Mardi Gras anymore unless a relative comes in from out of town and really has to go.

The body just can't take that kind of abuse anymore. A lot of locals plan their family vacations to leave during Mardi Gras...

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5th Use)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Jack Frost
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Lavender Pour Homme

No Pic today gents...Again...and Again...and Again...and Again...and Again.

Again with the same shave. Not sure why...just did. Maybe I'm in a shaving slump...maybe I 'm just enjoying the shaves...which I am. It's interesting that I am one of these guys that really seeks out change in many ways. This isn't always a good attribute. But I think that is why our style of shaving really appeals to me. So many different variables to tinker with. And I would say the 90% of the time I get a pretty good shave...but 95% of the time the shave could be so much better. But I ramble.

The shave was solid today. Despite my feelings of the the Sudsy Soapery marketing strategies...this really is a pretty darn good soap. And I think it is the only non-tallow soap that I think is just as good as most tallow soaps. Strike that...it's probably better than most tallow soaps...save the absolute best. I know a lot of people didn't like the scent...but to me it is certainly in the same mold as Captains Choice North and other similar scents.

The Personna Platinum Chrome is really going strong! I will likely shave with it tomorrow and and shaves over the weekend and then toss it in the bin. But it's a solid blade of choice. I don't usually comment on blades...they all seem to perform about the same except those that are really not great. Chad knows what I mean...right Chad? But this blade I am using now is starting to impress me.

Three passes and a light cleanup...nothing super special...but my shave is solid and will get me through the day.

The Danger Zone:

Well...it got below freezing last night so I think winter is officially in Southern Louisiana...it's about time. Today is a high of about 50...but then this weekend we are back up to near 70 again. We will likely get a week or two thrown in here somewhere that the temps will be in the 80s. Yup...that is a Louisiana winter. Jacket one day and shorts the next. I really wish it would get cold and stay cold. Let the seasons be the seasons. Instead we go from Summer and then Summer's big brother back to Summer again. We will move into fall...then winter...back to fall...spring will show up...then back to winter...and then spring...well you guys get the idea. Either way...I am glad it is cooler the the 100 degrees we get in the summer.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Thursday...it is Thursday isn't it? Man...I cannot wait until Friday after work...nothing special...just ready for the weekend. Have a great one Cadre!

Oh...I almost forgot...still time to get in on my PIF...you can find it here: https://www.theshavingcadre.com/post/its-not-a-pif-without-socks-and-cream-and-balm-and-aftershave-9907621?pid=1306114785

Careful Don. Statements like "the blade doesn't really matter" is how you end of with a bad blade series and then the horrible Graham Field balde! KJ send this man a blade.

I agree with you on the performance of Sudsy Soapery. It doesn't hurt that Citrus & Bay is one of my favorite scents.

Just catching up. Great shaves Don! I know I’m going back a few shaves, but that Oz soap sounds really interesting. Also, Chad’s right with that blade talk. You better be careful ???

Just catching up. Great shaves Don! I know I’m going back a few shaves, but that Oz soap sounds really interesting. Also, Chad’s right with that blade talk. You better be careful
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

I am way past due on my official review of Oz Shaving Co. Foxville. So I will try to get one ups as soon as I can. Even if it is just a written review. If you check in a week or so...there will be samples of Foxville on the Soap Sample Swap.

I don’t believe in “shave ruts” you are just in a comfort zone. Stay warm and be glad you aren’t in Ohio!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Jack Frost
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Chiseled Face - Cedar and Spice

No Pic today gents...Again...and Again...and Again...and Again...and Again...and Again

Riding with the same soap today. I don't have much left in the tub so I may just try to see if i can finish it before Christmas. I changed out the blade to a Wilkinson Sword. I couldn't telly you if this was British, Indian, or German. It was a really smooth shave until I looked up from my third pass and realized I had several weepers. Didn't even feel them at all. Nothing that a little witch hazel and aftershave can't handle. Splashed on some Cedar and Spice because I am ready for the holiday season! Now I smell like winter!

The Danger Zone:

My mother is staying with the me and the wife for a few weeks. She sold her house and is buying another but the closing on the one she is buying isn't until the 14th of December. So I had to move out of my bathroom for a while and had to relocate my den temporarily. That is another reason for using the same soap. It's just not as convenient to use different ones all the time. But no biggie...I'll make this work.

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful
week building up to Turkey Day!

Nice shave Don—enjoy the company. Although I am the first to admit that having an extended guest can be difficult, even if (and sometimes especially if) it’s your mother.

Back