The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Waaaaaait a minute. Between soaps? I just saw you got some new soaps in yesterday that we need reviews for. Back to the den Don for shave #2!

Waaaaaait a minute. Between soaps? I just saw you got some new soaps in yesterday that we need reviews for. Back to the den Don for shave #2!
Between Soaps? There was like uncountable options in that box i PiF'd him.

Good lord guys...what I meant was between soap purchases! I know I still have a lot of soap and soap samples to get to!

Good stuff Don. It might have been mentioned but I believe WWSC has addressed the container complaint.

Also GO LSU!

WWSC soaps are indeed good soaps. I found that my old pucks have dried enough that I can shake them out of the old container and use like a stick, the new container is the 3oz tub I have used. The smaller 3oz container isn't perfect but its definitely serviceable. I recently got two of the newer WWSC and am very happy with them. The scents are not so weak I can't smell them and they smell good. Like many artisan soaps I swear I smell a common scent component in all pucks (kind of sweet).

I've got a few pucks of WWSC. I haven't brought them out as much just because of the container issue, but I could see using it as a shave stick working well. I'll have to give it a shot.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (3rd Use)
Soap/Cream: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville

Sorry, No Pic today gents

I am running short of time this morning and was going to do something else as far as a soap and aftershave go...but I decided to go ahead with the Foxville set from Oz Shaving Company. I won't comment too much on the shave as this was my first time using it, but just to let you know that it was a fabulous one! BBS on the face area and smoother than I usually can get on my neck. This is a seasonal scent by Oz and it is definitely a scent that I like. Oz Shaving Company describes it as:

It has a dark base of oak and clove, warm mid-notes of pepper and allspice, and top notes of lime and anise.

To be honest...this doesn't smell a whole lot different than some Bay Rum scents I have experienced. But a little more woodsy. Clove is definitely the predominant scent in this. But the other notes, kind of work together to give this scent a bit of warmth to it. I'm not sure I c
an pick out individually the pepper, allspice, lime, or anise. But you can tell that something else is working with the wood and clove. I like this scent...I like this scent a lot! Out of the tub the scent is strong. I would say it was a 3.5-4 out of five. Lathered it does not tone down at all. In fact the scent stays with you throughout the shave and beyond. I might even venture that the scent of the soap might be stronger or out last the aftershave. Time will tell.

For those of you who are interested in the ingredients...here they are:

Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Water, Glycerine, Coconut Milk, Potassium Hydroxide, Palm Kernel Flakes, Sodium Hydroxide, Mango Seed Butter, Lanolin, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Myristyl Myristate, Safflower Oil, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Lactate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tussah Silk

I have more to come with subsequent shaves...but for now I have to run! I hope the Cadre has a wonderful Monday and that it sets the tone for an incredible week!

Nice! I used my first Oz Shaving sample in todays video. Yellow Brick. Very nice scent as well. Once I get through the samples, I'll be buying more of this soap.

Nice! I used my first Oz Shaving sample in todays video. Yellow Brick. Very nice scent as well. Once I get through the samples, I'll be buying more of this soap.
I need a few more shaves with it and the rest of the day to determine the post shave feel/moisturizing...but I am likely in the same boat as you!

Been waiting to hear about the aftershaves before committing to oil can soap and splash. Nice first thoughts Don and will get to KJ's video in a bit or with coffee in the morning.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville

No Pic today gents...Again

Didn't shave yesterday...not because I was running late or anything...but just because. Went with my second shave with Foxville from Oz Shaving Co. In the last shave I expressed how much I like this scent...so I won't go into that today. My first shave the lather was a bit thick and voluminous were as this morning's shave was a bit more light and thin. This was done on purpose. I will have to say the light and thin version provided and amazingly slick shave. Both shaves were plenty slick...so don't get me wrong. But today's was even more so. This soap contains tussah silk in it and if I had to guess...that is one of the reasons for the slickness. Speaking of the ingredients...here is a list of them:

Stearic Acid, Beef Tallow, Water, Glycerine, Coconut Milk, Potassium Hydroxide, Palm Kernel Flakes, Sodium Hydroxide, Mango Seed Butter, Lanolin, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Myristyl Myristate, Safflower Oil, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Lactate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Tussah Silk

I'm not going to say that this is the shortest list of ingredients...but compared to others...I think it is relatively short.

The soap is pretty easy to lather. I bloomed it last time and just used a damp brush this morning. The consistency out of the tub is firmer than most soaps out there right now.

I am going to reserve my official opinion about moisturizing and post shave feel for later. But this is a hard one to describe. I don't fee
l like my face is dry by any means. But my face feels..."smooth." Not in the sense that I had a BBS shave...but more in the sense that whatever is in the soap kind of "buffs out" any blemishes. I will have to work on a better description later. But the soap is plenty moisturizing...but the post shave feel is just a bit different. Good...but different.

A splash of the aftershave of the same scent and it's a great day! I know KJ used an Oz aftershave the other day and he felt like it was sticky for a time. I personally don't get that at all. If anything...the one I sued was a bit heavy on the alcohol side. So I don't know if it is just differences in preferences, or maybe it's a different formulation, or if it is a quality control thing. But all in all, I like the aftershave.

The Danger Zone:

I won't go into great length here, mostly because I want to get to the other journals and threads before I shovel off to work. I had yesterday off for election day. Every other year, state employees who work in Baton Rouge get November 6th off for election day. I always found this odd...because there are state workers throughout the state...why don't they get the day off? Oh well, I guess I won't complain.

I went ahead and voted in the morning. I won't go into anything overtly political here...so don't worry. But the people at the poling station said that even at that early time, they were having more people come and vote in as long as they could remember. I found this odd as this is just a midterm election. And in my district...we only had our state's Secretary of State and federally had out district's Representative on the ballot. The only other things I could vote on were some constitutional amendments and some local ordinances. I did some stuff throughout the day and then cam home and turned on the news. It was the same all across the country. Very good turnouts. While there are things that have happened lately in the current political environment that really has just turned my stomach, and what some of the candidates and electorate are doing right now I completely disagree with...it is really nice to see people come out and droves and participate in the political process.

Alright...stepping off the soapbox for now. I hope the cadre has a fantastic Hump Day!

Back