The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Why does it feel like we're all hanging out in Don's living room and his wife sent him out for groceries?

What Don's not here? That's it if I can make it past the danger hounds I am telling his wife he used the good towels the other day!

What Don's not here? That's it if I can make it past the danger hounds I am telling his wife he used the good towels the other day!

Hey now! Don't break the Bro-Code and go and tattle on your friend to his wife. And besides everyone knows that Blueberry are the best Pop-Tarts. And the only way to eat them is toasted and with butter!

Razor: 1972 Gillette Psycho Tech
Blade: Voskhod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Soap - GHOST Dragon's Blood
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Wholly Kaw - King of Oud

It's my wife's favorite holiday and she loves getting all decked out for Halloween! I decided to sort of theme today...yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, A Cold Day in Hell 2 would likely have been a better fit for today...but I just did a week's worth of shaves so I decided to go a different route! And besides...I really like this soap! The Psycho Tech is a much better shaver than one would expect. Not going to say it's the most aggressive or the smoothest...but it's functional and consistent. I still like the King of Oud paired with GDB...it has a nice synergy with the soap. I would go on and on...but we all know that the CBL soap is really...really good! So I won't ramble on this morning.

I hope the Cadre was a wonderful Halloween if you celebrate. If you don't...then I hope you just have a an absolute wonderful day!

Solid SOTD Don. I wanted to use the Psycho today, but it's not an OC, and I had to finish out OCtober strong.

Looks like a good shave and an appropriate combo for today.

Late to the conversation, but yeah Brown Sugar is the best flavor for sure with Strawberry second and maybe S'Mores a solid third
1f60e.png

Ugh, I'm still kicking myself for passing up one of those razors at a decent price. They are crazy now. Still want one.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: Wild West Shaving Co.
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accoutrements - Lavender Por Homme

No Pic today gents...

I am between soaps right now...if that is even a thing...so I decided to grab one of the gazillion soaps or samples that have been given to me and haven't got around to yet. Since others around here love this soap maker and a couple of you have been shaving with it lately...I grabbed the Wild West Shaving Co. in the Sundance Kid scent. Scent wise this is nice...it's supposed to be lavender, lime, coconut, and peppermint. On first whiff...I definitely get the Lavender and the Peppermint. I nice classic scent that I really enjoy! I have the Fine aftershave and a tub of Sudsy Soapery in lavender and peppermint...so I am very familiar with the scent and like it a lot. But I didn't get the lime or coconut at all. No worries. We have all belabored the fact that WWSC does not have the best containers...so I won't go into that. But it was small and really didn't want to load the brush straight from the puck. The soap is definitely hard enough so I used it like a shave stick. Honestly, this soap performed much better than I expected. I am not willing to go out and say it's the best ever. But it is a solid performer. If I had to take a stab at a Tier and Box...I would say based off of my first shave it would reside somewhere between Tier 2 Box 5 and Tier 1 Box 4. It hit's all the bullets on what a good soap should be...I just don't think it excels in any one spot. I do suspect though that the post shave feel later on will be above average. Back to the scent...after I splashed on the Lavender Pour Homme I compared scents from the AS to the soap. So now I smell the lime and coconut. It's not pronounced at all and in fact, I think what it adds to the soap scent is that it tones down the sharpness of the Lavender and Peppermint. It was a pretty nice and uneventful shave in the end.

The Danger Zone:

LSU is coming off of their bye week and Alabama comes stopping into town. The game tomorrow is prime time on CBS if any of you care to watch. I am really hoping for a win here...and I know most don't give them a chance. But I know they can win the
game...but they will have to play their best game of the year and really execute. Really all I want though is an incredible game that goes down for the ages!

Glad it's a Friday and I am glad I can share it with the Cadre! I hope you guys have a wonderful Weekend!

Back