The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rainbow Super Stainless (3rd Use)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Frankincense and Orange
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accoutrements - L'Orange Noir

And no pics again...sorry.

Went with a soap that Chris sent to me a while back and is definitely a favorite scent of mine. The Spice and the Orange pair very well with the Orange Dirt aftershave as well. This is a hemp oil formula of Chris' and I am just in love with it. Not only does it perform well...it just feels good to have it on my face! Didn't do a lot of chasing today...but ended up with a very solid DFS.

The Danger Zone:

Feeling better today but still congested and snotty. Decided to stay home from work again so as to not spread the bugs at work. It's a nice weekend to sit down and watch some football. Some really
good games going on this weekend. Hope you all enjoy!

Razor: Gillette Big Fellow
Blade: Super-Max Platinum (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: The Club (Ariana & Evans) - Cold Day in Hell 2
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavemac Two Band Silver Tip Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : The Club (Ariana & Evans) - Cold Day in Hell 2

I had been looking forward to this shave for a while now. Saturday I received in the mail my order of Ariana & Evans - Cold Day in Hell 2. Why two you ask? Well...evidently there was a one. Anyway...the one thing about A&E scents is that there is absolutely nothing simple about any of them. Sometimes simple is better...A&E seems to know what they are doing with complex. Anyway...The scent notes for this soap are as follows: anise, black pepper, lavender, jasmine, midnight lotus, coffee, cannabis, juniper, vanilla, oakmoss and sandalwood. "A very dark Fougere." As you can see there is a lot going on here. I'm not sure exactly which one is forward, but I get the sweet florals, the muddy earth, and the dark. Out of the tub I think the SoS is about a 3.5. The interesting thing about this scent is that out of the tub, it's almost as if I can smell each individual scent.

I won't go much into the performance of the soap today...rest assured this stuff lathers very well...it shaves very well...and post shave properties are really nice. But more of that in the days to come. The scent, however, when lathered, seems to lose its individuality of scents and they all start to work together. It's strange...but very pleasant! The end result isn't as strong as out of the tub...but the SoS when lathering is a solid 2.5 upward of 3. All in all...I would buy this soap for the scent alone.

Pulled out the Gillette Big Fellow as I
need to participate in a few days of OCtober. I love almost everything about this razor. It just looks like a man's razor and feels like a man's razor. I have the gumwood case and the blade bank as well. It is by far my favorite razor in my den. maybe not my best shaver though.... Honestly...I need to work on using a lighter touch with it.

The shave itself was a solid one. DFS and a little more. The soap has great qualities to it...but I will get into that in subsequent shaves. I did a video this morning but I will have to edit and upload it later this evening. I finished off my shave with the Aftershave Splash of the same scent and man...am I ready for the day!

The Danger Zone:

Still a bit of a stuffed nose but no where close to how sick I was last week. The wife caught the cold too...or maybe she gave it to me...but her recovery time seems to be taking much longer than mine. I will be busy at work this week since I was out most of last week. The temps finally dropped here in Louisiana and this morning I woke up to 45 degrees! I'm loving it. Hopefully the weather will sick around a while...in Louisiana our falls and winters tend to be roller coaster rides. One week it will be cold or colder...then make into the upper 80s the next. It wreaks havoc on sinuses.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Monday...and crush it to get the week started!

....The temps finally dropped here in Louisiana and this morning I woke up to 45 degrees! I'm loving it. Hopefully the weather will sick around a while...
And hopefully the power downtown will stick around as well.
1f60e.png

Glad you liked the scent. It had a lot of notes that don't jive with me, so I passed on it. Almost wanted to get it just for the label though. I dig that one.

Glad the set didn’t disappoint! Is it mentholated? I would have expected that from the name.

Continued prayers that the sickness would pass quickly from your home.

CA has been seeing some nice chilly nights/mornings too, despite the 80s highs. Now if that rain will just move in...

Glad the set didn’t disappoint! Is it mentholated? I would have expected that from the name.

Continued prayers that the sickness would pass quickly from your home.

CA has been seeing some nice chilly nights/mornings too, despite the 80s highs. Now if that rain will just move in...

Nope...not mentholated. And you are right...I would have thought it would be too...but it isn't.

Razor: Grand Shave King Self Lubricating Razor
Blade: Super-Max Platinum (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: The Club (Ariana & Evans) - Cold Day in Hell 2
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : The Club (Ariana & Evans) - Cold Day in Hell 2

Decided to pull out my Grand Shave King "Self Lubricating" razor. I'm not sure how much self lubricating it does...but as far as novelty razors go...this one does a pretty good job. It is by far the mildest razor I have in my den. Still, I managed to get a really good shave today. Three passes and a cleanup. I am working towards a full on review of A Cold Day in Hell 2 (ACDiH2). Today I bowl lathered and I had a much better lather than I did yesterday. Not that I had a better lather yesterday at all. But this soap like the bowl.

I am still at a loss on how to describe this scent accurately. I like it a lot but I'm trying to figure it out. The post shave feel yesterday was among the best in any soap I have tried. It's really good! I noticed today that the residual slickness is way up there too. My full on review is going to be a difficult one...I have to decide if this is an elite soap or not...evidence is piling up in the "is" department. I did another video this morning...I will have it up later tonight!

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful day today!

Back