The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Nice shave and read, Don. That scent sounds intriguing. Someday I'm going to end up pulling the trigger on a 4 figure order just to catch up with all the new stuff I read about in the journals lol.

Nice shave and read, Don. That scent sounds intriguing. Someday I'm going to end up pulling the trigger on a 4 figure order just to catch up with all the new stuff I read about in the journals lol.

Thanks Eric for reading!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Sharp Star Platinum Coated (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Strop Shoppe - Instinct
Brush: TSC Member Brush by Eric Sorrentino - the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine American Blend

No Pic Today...Again...and Again...and Again

Looking through the supply of soaps that I have...I decided to dig to the bottom of the pile. Something was calling my name...I could barely hear it...but that voice was there. I pulled out some soaps that I had forgotten about, and others that maybe I wish I had forgotten about. But then I saw it...my tub of Strop Shoppe Instinct. Now, this might not be my favorite scent of the now closed artisan. But it is a scent I like. And sadly if you want a tub of any Strop Shoppe scent, you either must get really lucky, or pay an egregious price! At any rate...it's what I have and I like how it performs. Strop Shoppe may have been well before it's time. I'm not sure why they closed their doors...but it seems they did it at the same time that artisan soaps just BOOMED! Either way...we are left wondering what might have been. I have never found a definitive scent profile for Instinct, not that I have looked real hard, but it is a nice fresh clean scent. No doubt that this container is starting to lose its strength of scent, but the scent was never all that strong in the first place. Instinct holds a slight powdery scent and a little bit of a non-descriptive cologne scent...think Aqua di Gio, just not as sweet. Either way...it's a very nice subdued scent that you can likely pair with just about anything.

The shave went well. I really concentrated on no pressure and it yielded a really great shave. Three passes and a cleanup for a a better than DFS and BBS in many of my areas. The lather, despite the lack of a long list of ingredients, builds a wonderful and very stable lather. Really good slickness and great cushion or protection. Residual slickness is way up there...not the best, but close. Post shave feel is very interes
ting. I feel like may face was a bit dry after the shave...but as time passes...I can feel that it is adequately moisturized!

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful Friday (it is Friday...right?) and an even better weekend!

Nice Don. And there’s one of the Strop Shoppe scents I don’t have
1f61b.png

From the Strop Shoppe website:

Instinct is a masculine blend of cedarwood and sandalwood with rich musk notes.

From the Strop Shoppe website:

Instinct is a masculine blend of cedarwood and sandalwood with rich musk notes.

Well I feel stupid! Guess I never really looked for the website since just forums and blogs come up first.

Anyway...yeah...I don't get that at all. Maybe light notes of Sandalwood...but definitely not cedarwood.

Great shave, Don. I'm going to have to dig out my Strop Shoppe soaps sometime soon.

Well Don nice read from Friday. No comment from me about LSU, that was a rough one. Hope you have since recovered. They have already surpassed expectations and I suspect the season will be a success I see a few more wins in the future for sure!

I only need one tub of Strop Shoppe in my den at all times: Russian Tea - granted the CBL iteration is pretty solid. Glad I got my tub (wish I had a backup) before the price hike. It's like a collectible car.

So it's a non-shave entry today guys...and I know that I have been absent in the journal this past week. To be honest...we coming close to time change again for the fall and the mornings leading up to the change for some reason get my biological time clock all messed up and I have been oversleeping! So less time to chat in the morning. Then in the evenings I have been spending time with the missus and helping put up Halloween Decorations and some other house hold things. Either way...I'll get back to posting my shaves this week.

I went to the Doctor's office to review my blood work results on Friday. I had sort of a kick to the head this week. Nothing super serious...but some things of concern. Without getting into the specifics of all my labs...I just want to discuss the trend. As you all know...last January I started a Ketogenic Way of Eating. I and I have had tremendous success with it. I have lost 65 pounds, and have improved my health tremendously! I cured the Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver I had...COMPLETELY! I was on the cusp of becoming a Type II Diabetic and was able to pull myself from the ledge. My Blood Sugars and Insulin Levels as well as other Diabetic markers have done a complete 180! These are the really important things to me.

In the beginning I lost 45 pounds in two months. Then it was another 15 over the next two months. But then the weight loss slowed drastically and has really kind of stopped altogether. Just only five pounds over the next four to five months. But really no worries...because my waist line has been getting smaller. I was originally wearing 46 or 48 waisted pants. Today I am wearing 38s. It really is amazing!

So on to the labs...My first set of blood work back in April showed dramatic improvement and my markers were really incredible. My next set in July were still good...but some of the things kind of went in the wrong direction. Everything was in the normal range...just not as good as before. Then just recently...while everything except just a couple of markers were still in the normal ranges...the went again in the wrong direction. I call this a trend. Now I don't take a lot of stock into some of the same things that others think are detrimental. For example LDL cholesterol. Research indicates that Total LDL is not a good marker of health. But LDL particle size is more important. Plus there are some ratios of the different types of cholesterol that are indicators. So doing all the calculations, none of these things were good either. Yup...it's time to figure out what is happening.

The doc and I discussed it and her and I have come up with a plan. So what do we think was the catalyst of my downward spiral? Exercise! Back when I first started this way of eating the weather was cooler and I was walking everyday at lunch time. As the weather became warmer and then just outright hot...my exercise tapered off into nothing. So I am conducting an experiment. I am pretty much going to keep on keeping on with what I am doing. But I am going to increase my activity significantly. Temps here in Louisiana for the most part have cooled quite a bit...so walking at lunch is on the table again. I have my bike all fixed up...so rides in the evening will be more consistent. I am also going to incorporate some body weight and core exercises into my routines. When I go back to get my blood work done in March/April we will see if the exercise has brought my levels back down. The doc is excited to see what happens also. I know it's not a double blind randomized scientific study. But it will be anecdotal evidence to how important exercise either is...or isn't.

There was one aspect of my blood work that was very alarming. I am Vitamin D deficient. Like significantly deficient! Living in Louisiana where the sun shines ALWAYS! I would have never guessed I would be lacking Vitamin D. So the doc but me on a prescription supplement for six months and we will re-evaluate in the spring!

Well...sorry for the long post gents...and if you have come this far...then thanks for reading. I guess you find me somewhat interesting...although I don't know why.

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful Sunday!

Great update Don!

You're getting rest and keeping the DangerWife appeased, that’s great!

You've been on quite an inspiring journey for many. Down 8 whole pant sizes? That’s insane! Sorry it hasn’t all worked out the way you hoped. I hope the new strategy will change that. Definitely keep us posted!

Great update Don!

You're getting rest and keeping the DangerWife appeased, that’s great!

You've been on quite an inspiring journey for many. Down 8 whole pant sizes? That’s insane! Sorry it hasn’t all worked out the way you hoped. I hope the new strategy will change that. Definitely keep us posted!

Thanks Chris! It has definitely been a life changing experience for me. There have been so many benefits that I can't list them all. Just the other day I had my mom tell me that my skin color is so much better than it was a year ago. I kind of dismissed it...you know...being my mom. But then a friend I hadn't seen in a couple of months said the exact same thing! It's just crazy. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Back