The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Thanks for the update, Don. It sounds like both good and not so good news, but I know how much exercise alone can increase your health and well being. Something that I desperately need to get moving on lol.

Great job Don! I lost 40 lbs last year and have kept it off so I know how hard that is. Like you, I just changed what I ate and how much of it I ate. All of my health problems disappeared just like yours did, It really is amazing. Lifestyle changes are the only true way to accomplish it and it sounds like you've done it. Good luck with adding more exercise.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rainbow Super Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: TSC Member Brush by Eric Sorrentino - the "Luca Brasi" in Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Figaro Monsieur

Finally, a Pic!

It's going to be a warm one today, but we have had a few "cooler" days. So I wanted to go with a "warm" scent to try to usher in fall. Not much I can say about the CBL Raosted Oatmeal Stout that hasn't already been said! Scent is particularly nice and of course performance is spectacular!

I am loving the TSC Member Brush with Finest Badger. Said it before and I will say it again...glad I decided to put a badger in this handle...it is worth the extra cash I spent!

I love this aftershave! It pairs nicely with the soap. It's just warm and smells deliciously good. The amber, sandalwood, and oud really come out in the aftershave. It also has maybe the best fast feel of any aftershave that I have. Just a great shave all around!

I did try a little bit of skin stretching and it did turn out great. Just still trying to figure out the best ways to stretch!

I hope the Cadre has a wonderful Monday to start the day off right!

Good stuff, Don. And exercise is definitely the cure for many an ill. And it doesn't take elaborate workout routines or fancy gym memberships either. BTW, lots of Vitamin D deficiency going around (ask me how I know that - LOL).

I do like that brush, very classy.

vitamin D and cholesterol have a unique relationship in the body. A low vitamin D with higher LDL isn’t uncommon. The precursor to cholesterol is converted to vitamin d in the skin by sunlight, if it’s not becoming vitamin d it becomes cholesterol. This doesn’t mean a bunch of sunlight will lower your cholesterol, it’s just how they are connected. Study have pretty much shown vitamin d supplements don’t lower cholesterol, proving that low D isn’t the cause of high cholesterol. My read on it is that the low D-high cholesterol condition is more a symptom of a hitch in one of the normal pathways that happens to result in a higher cholesterol and lower vitamin D. Excersise and a little sun never hurts, i’m Sure your numbers will be improved soon enough.

I grabbed the Oatmeal Stout myself. It was a chilly morning and that scent just makes you feel warm.

Don, when I did my initial labs for my absent thyroid, my doctor told me to take a Vitamin D supplement as well. Weird.

FYI, I seem to remember a discussion of Figaro Monsieur aftershaves on that other forum. Apparently the 100ml bottle and the 400ml bottle are different formulas.

I have the 400ml bottle. It is great juice if you are looking for an old-school barbershop scent. I quite like it.

Catching up Don, fantastic Reads, and plateauing will happen but you are on the right track

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rainbow Super Stainless (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ghost Dragon Blood
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Holy Kaw - King of Oud

Back to no pic again...sorry.

Decided that I wanted that Ghost Dragon Blood experience again. I did forget how soft this soap is and probably loaded too much...but no worries. I just had a lot of lather to play with! I just love everything about this soap...the way it smells, the way it performs, and the way it feels. Just an excellent soap. Had to rush through the shave this morning but still ended up with a better than average shave. Very enjoyable.

The Danger Zone:

Still not feeling great. Basically have a cold but this one is kicking my but. Spent the last two days home from work and I am thinking I need to stay home today...but I'm soldiering on and if the boss looks at me and says "go." I won't argue. Anyway...when me head is little more clear...I will tell you all how goat yoga went!

Have a great Thursday Cadre!

Doh! Stand around the coffee area a lot dunking a tea bag and moaning. That should get you kicked home.

Doh! Stand around the coffee area a lot dunking a tea bag and moaning. That should get you kicked home.

Didn't even have to do that. Boss took one look at me and said, "go home." I finished deleting my emails and left promptly.

Back