The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Is this a Keto thing? Like honestly NEVER thought people drank it like milk.
I used to always sneak in a drink of it, since I was a kid, but only had a little cause I thought it was bad for you. But yes, drinking it regularly like that is a keto thing. I don’t pour a glass of it or anything, but if I’m needing a little snack or a treet, I’ll just go have a few glugs from the carton in the fridge.

My life changed when I discovered that on Keto, pork rinds and heavy whipping cream were health foods!

I used to always sneak in a drink of it, since I was a kid, but only had a little cause I thought it was bad for you. But yes, drinking it regularly like that is a keto thing. I don’t pour a glass of it or anything, but if I’m needing a little snack or a treet, I’ll just go have a few glugs from the carton in the fridge.

My life changed when I discovered that on Keto, pork rinds and heavy whipping cream were health foods!

Well sorry for de-railing your journal Don. But in response to KJ, I love me some pork rinds and always have. And let's just say that carton of HWC might just have to take a swig of it and see what I think.

Is this a Keto thing? Like honestly NEVER thought people drank it like milk.

Sort of...HWC has good fat and no carbs (or very little). But I do know some who don't do Keto and still drink heavy whipping cream .

Good reads and pics Don! Can’t believe I got a couple days behind, but I’m caught up now.

Oh ... and keep one eye on those hounds ? We have 2 doxies and an olde english bulldog. They allow me to feed and walk them, but I know where their loyalty is.

Good stuff man. Love the reviews of the soaps. Granted this whole pepper challenge thing is a bit too much for my liking! HAHAHAH you guys are nuts.

Good stuff man. Love the reviews of the soaps. Granted this whole pepper challenge thing is a bit too much for my liking! HAHAHAH you guys are nuts.

Thanks for Reading Tom! And yes...they are nuts! I'm just stupid. Still paying the consequences even today!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter - Lonestar
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Noble Otter - Lonestar

No Pic Today...

I had a considerable amount of growth on my face from over the weekend. I think I skipped Friday too. Anyway, I started with a new blade today. Voskhod DE blades are not the sharpest...but man I think they are smooth! I decided to pull out my Noble Otter Lonestar soap and matching aftershave. I really need to pick up another scent or two of this soap, because man...it really teeters between Elite and top honors of Tier 1. It's really good stuff in other words. I may have loaded too much on my brush because I ended up voluminous amounts of soap on my brush. And really thick at that. Adding water to my face each pass took care of the overly thick part of the lather and by my second pass, this stuff was slicker than snot on a door knob in the humid Louisiana Summer! (Take my word for it...that's slick!) I went ahead with a four pass shave today (North to South x2, East to West and West to East, and South to North) with extensive cleanup! Noble Otter has one of the best residual slickness feelings in any soap I have tried, so extensive cleanup went off without a hitch! One of my smoother shaves to date...not perfect...but very smooth. We will call this a BBS minus. Either way...it was a great shave. A splash of witch hazel and several "GLUGS" of the Lonestar Aftershave...and man...my face is feeling terrific! All is well in the shaving world today!

The DANGER ZONE!!!

Not much to report over the weekend. I picked the wife up from the airport and the Danger Hounds are happy. The resistance in the Danger household has been subdued. Watched a good bit of College Football over the weekend and did some running around yesterday. All in all it was a relaxing weekend. The In-Laws had a TV that was only a little over two years old. Well the picture had been getting progressively darker and more blue. The In-Laws are retired and on a fixed income with some medical procedures coming up. They didn't really have the money to go buy another TV and so were waiting for the Black Friday sales coming up in a couple of months. Anyway...the wife and I have been fortunate and blessed with some raises and p
romotions recently and her parents have done a lot for us in the past couple of years. So we went to Costco and found a reasonably priced TV that was bigger than there last and bought them one. Told them it was for their anniversary that is coming up. It's one thing to see and hear someone thank you for a gift or a deed. It's another thing to see and hear real gratitude and appreciation in someone's voice and smile. Needless to say...the in-laws were super happy with their TV last night!

Soap/Cream: Noble Otter - Lonestar....I really need to pick up another scent or two of this soap....

Don, I can't recall, but have you tried Noble Otter's "The Trail"? Out of the 4 Noble Otter soaps that I've used thus far, I find that "The Trail" is my favorite - I actually like it better (by a small margin) than "Lonestar" (which is awesome). And I recently saw that Noble Otter has a new soap collaboration available called, "TEXAUS".

And good on ya for the TV purchase for your in-laws!!
1f44d.png

Well Don nice read and shave. Also great gesture for the inlaws. Sounds like it was much appreciated!

Sounds like a great weekend Don. Glad the missus is back safely. Well done with the inlaws!

Nice shave and stellar marks for taking care of family Don !!
Well Don nice read and shave. Also great gesture for the inlaws. Sounds like it was much appreciated!
Sounds like a great weekend Don. Glad the missus is back safely. Well done with the inlaws!
Great shave Don! And good on you for helping out the in-laws.
Don, you're a peach!

Thanks guys for reading!

Don, I can't recall, but have you tried Noble Otter's "The Trail"? Out of the 4 Noble Otter soaps that I've used thus far, I find that "The Trail" is my favorite - I actually like it better (by a small margin) than "Lonestar" (which is awesome). And I recently saw that Noble Otter has a new soap collaboration available called, "TEXAUS".

And good on ya for the TV purchase for your in-laws!!
1f44d.png

I have not tried Trail yet. When I picked up Lonestar it was between that one and Trail. Seems like something I would like...especially moving into cooler months! I have actually only tried one other Noble Otter soap...and that was the BarrBarr. I wasn't that impressed with the scent so I gave it away to someone around these parts (though I forget who). I have a couple orders in the future of shaving soaps and aftershaves...so I might pick up another scent...or two!

Thanks guys for reading!
I have not tried Trail yet. When I picked up Lonestar it was between that one and Trail. Seems like something I would like...especially moving into cooler months! I have actually only tried one other Noble Otter soap...and that was the BarrBarr. I wasn't that impressed with the scent so I gave it away to someone around these parts (though I forget who). I have a couple orders in the future of shaving soaps and aftershaves...so I might pick up another scent...or two!
I was the happy pif winner of Barrbarr

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: Noble Otter - Lonestar
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Noble Otter - Lonestar

No Pic Today...Again...

I liked yesterday's shave so much that I decided to do it again! Only three standard passes today with a little cleanup. Not as close as yesterday...but close enough. I'm thinking Noble Otter might get a bump in rating from me because it is just really performing well for me. Which makes me think I need to revisit all my soaps and decide what is what. I am thinking about revising my grading system (not that I was consistent or anything) and developing a point system similar to Josh's. Go back and keep a spread sheet for reference and do a video review for each one! We will see....but I am leaning toward this.

Hope you gents have a wonderful Tuesday!

Back