The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I know you know the statement "it takes a bigger man to not fight". Well there's truth to that and more truth to that when someone has experienced what you have and need to restrain yourself more so then others. Good for you brother !! You proved yourself the better man !!!

I hope this week rolls out much better for you. Sorry it was so stressful last week!

Great description of your perception on the CBL GDB. It helps!

Thanks Chris!
Don, I have both Ghost and regular Dragon’s Blood and both have their place. I enjoy it with the cooling and without. Since this is a warm scent, the creeping cool fits amazingly well with it. It’s crazy, but it is a perfect fit.

I'll likely get a regular Dragon's Blood also. That scent is really just intoxicating!

I know you know the statement "it takes a bigger man to not fight". Well there's truth to that and more truth to that when someone has experienced what you have and need to restrain yourself more so then others. Good for you brother !! You proved yourself the better man !!!

Thanks Dave! That statement has a lot of truth to it. Unfortunately, restraint in certain situations is a luxury I can't afford sometimes.

Sorry Don, I bailed when you said feelings ... JK But I almost bailed at sensual. Great job with the self restraint. It does take a bigger man.

Man, all these good reviews of CBL soap—particularly Ghost DB—are giving me itchy fingers!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Don. It definitely takes the better man to stay civil when pressed. Keeping a level head is difficult, but it breeds respect—both from others and for yourself. Strong work today.

I just hope the end result of your investigation is that guy’s balls nailed to the wall!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Toasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: Stirling 24 mm Fan Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel Formula
The Ultimate Aftershave : Figaro Monsieur

Sorry...No Pic Again

I went ahead and used the CBL Toasted Oatmeal Stout. This sent is to die for and to me smells like bitter toffee! Not that it smells bitter...but it smells like bitter toffee. The performance on this is stellar...as expected. I know Chris says that the Hemp Oil shouldn't make much of a difference in the soaps that have it versus the ones that don't. But I am going to disagree. Let me be fair here...both versions of his soap are excellent, way above average and middle to to top tier one. But I think the soaps that have the hemp oil are more moisturizing and have better residual slickness. The Toasted Oatmeal Stout is a better soap than almost anything I have in my den...but is just a notch below (and it isn't much of a notch at all) to his other soaps that have hemp oil in it. I do realize though that we are splitting hairs here! A three pass shave yielded a very nice DFS!

Some serious glugs of Figaro Monsieur and everything in the world just fell into place. If you love warm scents of sandalwood, oud, amber, and tobacco, do your self a favor and pick up some of this aftershave. It has a great feeling and paired incredibly well with the Toasted Oatmeal Stout!

The DANGER ZONE!!!

Okay guys...I was probably a little too honest yesterday and may need to real myself in. I tend to be a little impulsive and do things without thinking from time to time. Thank you for the nice comments. I will say that what I was talking about came across as me either fighting or not. It wasn't really about that. fight or flight reactions come at a moments notice and is an involuntary reaction to a si
tuation you feel threatened in. It's what has kept me alive in some very precarious situations. It has taken me many years and a lot of love and support from my wife to get to a point in my life that I am able to have some of the feeling and emotions under control. It is really hard to explain. Reading this again...I still don't think I got my point across. But just know...this wasn't about fighting. It was mastering something that got twisted in me somewhere along the line.

On a positive note...I went to Trader Joe's yesterday and realized they have so much in the way of foods that I can eat on my "way of eating" that will make my life so much easier...and cheaper than other places. Raw Milk Cheddar Cheese, Pre-Cooked Pork Belly, Coconut Cream in large cans, Wild Caught Sardines that are much cheaper than else where, and Smoked Trout Fillets. Not to mention a whole mess of grass fed beef!

Anyway...I hope the cadre has a wonderful Tuesday!

Don all caught up. I agree with both you assessments on the last CBL soaps. As to the PTSD all I can say is thanks for your sacrifice. PTSD is real and it sounds like you have done and are doing the things necessary to handle it. I have seen PTSD ruin lives of loved ones and friends. It is not something to just take care of on your own.

Nice shave and read Don. Just to clarify I knew it wasn't a chance of fisticuffs. Fighting can be physical or verbal. I was commending you on having your emotions in check. Have a good day !!

Don, I agree that the hemp oil base is different, and absolutely spectacular! The best of the bunch. Absolutely Elite!

I think the Guinness base is almost as good, but not quite. Still absolutely Elite.

The regular base is Tier 1. Not quite as rich and creamy as the other two bases. But still one of the best!

Great stuff, Don. I liked the comparison between the CBL and HB soaps. It's awesome that you were able to keep your reign it in when the fight or flight reaction came on. I've worked with a lot of people that struggle with PTSD over the last few years, and have seen a wide variety of reactions when they are in the middle of a confrontation.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - The Shaving Cadre
Brush: TSC Member Brush by Eric Sorrentino the "Luca Brasi" with Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel Formula
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accoutrements - Fresh Vetiver

Yay! There is finally a pick!

Today's shave is a continuation of using and testing out the CBL Premium Shave Soap. This morning is the vaunted scent..."The Shaving Cadre." we all know that this scent is Neroli, Lime, and Vetiver. Out of the tub I smell a bit of sweetness which is the Neroli and I definitely smell the Vetiver. Not so much with the lime. But I have my thoughts on this. I am guessing the neroli swallows up the lime scent, however, I bet if the lime wasn't added to a soap and you compared the two...there would be a difference. Just a thought. Anyway...I like the scent...probably not as much as the Dragon's Blood or the Toasted Oatmeal Stout...but I like well enough to put it in a rotation. It is my new favorite vetiver scent. But I do have a criticism...when lathering the neroli goes away and all that is left is the vetiver. I do wish the sweetness would stay a bit longer...but such as it is. But I can't knock performance one bit! Everything that you like in a soap is there. I
still think I like the formulations that have hemp oil in them better...but that's just my personal preference!

The DANGER ZONE!!!

Not much to report today. My wife is still in DC hob-knobing with the muckity-mucks! She had cocktails at Trump Tower with people she was shmoozing with and indeed confirmed that there are gold toilets (oops...that might be TMI...). Either way...she is living it up...and I am...well I am fending off the ravenous and blood thirsty Danger Hounds! They still won't make eye contact. But only gaze at me through the side of their eyes. They watch my every move and and I sense them plotting against me while I sleep. If it wasn't for the fact that I keep their tender morsels under lock and key...I am sure they would have already taken me down! Maybe I need to send in reinforcements...maybe a cry for help...a signal if you wish...to the Safety Cats that keep the evil at bay in Sir Rich's home in the far away land of Ohio!

Boy...maybe there is something in that Hemp Oil that Chris uses in his soaps!

It's HUMP DAY!!!! And I hope the Cadre has an absolutely wonderful day!

I know we have seen pics of the danger hounds but I still say they must be 2 small yorkies.

I had the same thoughts on the scent of TSC, Don.

Enjoy your ‘me time’!

The Danger Hounds are dachshunds, right? I grew up with weenie dogs and we currently have one (my parents have three!). One thing I know for certain, they all love their momma. Watch your back, Don.
1f609.png

Anyone else notice Don has the house to himself and hasn't posted a single video??

Back