The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I'm fascinated with that Mississippi River model! And speaking of the LA coast, I once flew with a guy who was born and raised in the New Iberia area, and he was quite opinionated on that issue. He was talking about how the canal that was dug many years ago, really messed things up in terms of the coast's natural energy absorption capabilities for hurricanes. He went into great detail about all the changes over the years and it was quite interesting actually.

I'm fascinated with that Mississippi River model! And speaking of the LA coast, I once flew with a guy who was born and raised in the New Iberia area, and he was quite opinionated on that issue. He was talking about how the canal that was dug many years ago, really messed things up in terms of the coast's natural energy absorption capabilities for hurricanes. He went into great detail about all the changes over the years and it was quite interesting actually.

He is not wrong! The nutshell is that when Federal, State, and Local Governments started building levees...it was the beginning of the end of the Louisiana coast. Essentially, all the sediment that was flowing through various rivers, bayous, and streams to build new land and barriers is now being funneled through the Mississippi River and falls off a shelf at the mouth and is filling up an abyss.

So instead of the coast growing and and barriers being built...they are eroding and the coast line keeps moving north.

Why is this important?

There are a lot of reasons...but the most notable is the protection of now vulnerable places in Louisiana. But what people don't realize is that the Louisiana coast protects numerous oil and gas interests. Think on this...approximately 30% of all oil and gas in the US (whether it originates from Louisiana or not) passes through the Louisiana coast. You take that away and there are some serious economical consequences that take place.

The River Model was AWESOME! I really want to do it justice but I need some time to compile. I have a TON of pics...but none of them will really do it justice.

I have to say Don, normally I do not have a dog in the fight of any SEC matchups. About six or more years ago, my daughter got interested in Auburn football due to a guy she was dating at the time. Since that time, I have sort of become an Auburn fan, so needless to say, we were a bit disappointed Saturday. I do have several good colleagues at LSU, and they have always been one of my favorite SEC teams. But I have to tell you that Saturday we were rooting for the other guys.

I have to say Don, normally I do not have a dog in the fight of any SEC matchups. About six or more years ago, my daughter got interested in Auburn football due to a guy she was dating at the time. Since that time, I have sort of become an Auburn fan, so needless to say, we were a bit disappointed Saturday. I do have several good colleagues at LSU, and they have always been one of my favorite SEC teams. But I have to tell you that Saturday we were rooting for the other guys.

I won't hold it against you Walt! At least not too much. I don't think many people gave LSU much of a chance...even here in Bayou Country. the LSU - Auburn game is ALWAYS epic...every single year! I am just glad that we were victorious this year. The home team in that series is always the dominate favorite. And LSU just defied the stats. Last year LSU wasn't given a chance and overcame a 21 point deficit to win the game. But that was at home. This year...LSU overcame an 11 point deficit...but in the enemy's house. It feels good...but there is a long season ahead! Am I gloating? You bet I am.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium Coated (3rd Use)
Soap/Cream: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper

No Pic This Morning Gents

I was only in the hotel room for one night and one morning...but it's nice to be back at home in a real bathroom with familiar surroundings and your assortment of shaving software. I went into the den this morning and appreciated the variety I had. On the road I used the Lime TOBS in a tube that TJ gave me, I will say that TOBS actually performs better than I remember. A really good performer as far as the shave goes...but definitely drying after the fact. I'm going to keep this tube of Lime for such travel occasions.

I had been using Chris' CBL Premium Soap Ghost Lime and decided that I wanted to compare it with Tangerine Creeper. The more I compare these two soaps...the more I realize that I don't think they are all that different. CBL has TC beat hands down on post shave feel and moisturizing properties. That's not even debatable. But both are super slick and the TC might actually take this category. But I think everything else...cushion, protection, latherability, ease of lather, and whatever other category you want to throw in there. So what I really wanted to compare these soaps for was the cooling effect.

First off, I will say that I like the degree of cooling on both of these soaps. There is a time and a place for each. The CBL is there and you can definitely tell it. But it is not as intense as the TC. That being said...the Ghost Lime cooling effect actually hits you faster than TC. Not saying it will knock your socks off, but it does come up on you sooner than that the other soap. The cooling effect on TC really does "creep" up you. And then it continues to grow until there is an intense cooling sensation.

Both are terrific soaps...and I consider both high Tier One. I will give the edge here to the CBL Ghost Lime, mo
stly because it has qualities that I value more in a soap. But both really seem to have their own place in this wonderful shaving universe of ours. Now of Chris can stop wasting time and get us a Ghost Lime Aftershave...we will be in business!
1f60b.png

The Danger Zone:

I won't bore you with work details as I normally do...but...I had an interesting experience shaving while out of town. When packing, I meant to grab my TV Special Super Speed as it is a thoughtless shave and something that gets the job done. While at the hotel I started to unpack my toiletries to get ready to shave and discovered that I packed my Gillette Slim that I don't use because there is something wrong with it. Either the blade won't sit right in the razor or the bar is out of alignment. Either way...the blade sits wonky in the razor. I really needed to shave...so I went ahead and threw a blade in it and began to shave. Paying very close attention to pressure...I actually came out with relatively decent shave. A little on the rough side...but sufficient nonetheless!

I hope you all have a wonderful Friday...mine is going to be a busy one, but I am really looking forward to the weekend! If you haven't made your picks for the College Football game I'm hosting...be sure to get them in.

Have a wonderful day CADRE!

Nice read Don. I agree the TOBS is a bit drying. Best 2 creams on the market at least for me are AOS and Stone cottage.

Nice read Don. I agree the TOBS is a bit drying. Best 2 creams on the market at least for me are AOS and Stone cottage.

It is drying a bit...but nothing that can't be overcome or used occasionally. I really do like the performance of it though. You know...I have never used either. I will have to give the AoS cream a shot. I hear great things about Stone Cottage, but likely won't use them.

Glad the stowaway razor worked out for you. Nice comparison of the two sneaky cooling soaps.

It is drying a bit...but nothing that can't be overcome or used occasionally. I really do like the performance of it though. You know...I have never used either. I will have to give the AoS cream a shot. I hear great things about Stone Cottage, but likely won't use them.

I only did because i really like Patchouli and they made a cream Patchouli scented.

Glad you had safe travels!

TOBS does make a decent cream. It’s a bit synthetic feeling, but is perfectly adequate for any style of shaving.

Thanks for the soap comparison Don, Chris really did his homework in his current formulation.

Caught up Don! Nice bunch of shaves...and great comparison between THB Tangerine Creeper and CBL's Ghost Lime.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap
Brush: TSC Member Brush by Eric Sorrentino the "Luca Brasi" with Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : WhollyKaw - King of Oud

No Pic This Morning Gents

Today's theme is feeling...Feeling and Emotions...so enter the Danger Zone at your own risk!

I didn't have time to talk about my shave this morning. I HAD to be to work on time because I interviews again today. Over the weekend I received my GHOST Dragon's Blood CBL soap as well as my tub of Roasted Oatmeal Stout. In typical CBLindsay fashion...he included extras and a nice hand written note. Can't complain about good customer service. I think myself, and others, have gone on about the performance of the CBL Premium Shave Soap, so I won't go into depth on that. I will say though, that the more I use these soaps, the more I am really in love with them. I know I am a little biased because of our relationship with the soap maker, but it is the God's honest truth. I really like this soap a lot!

What I want to talk about is the scent and feel of this soap.
FIRE & ICE come together for an experience you won’t forget. The warm scent of Dragon’s Blood with a surprising and lasting chill.GHOST Dragon’s Blood is a mysterious, sweet, earthy aroma. Notes of amber, patchouli, rose and sandalwood blend with nuances of jasmine and citrus to bring out subtle spice undertones. Hints of Vanilla and powder complete this classic scent.
This is very much in the wheelhouse of burning incense...but it really is so much better. Sweet and spicy...but spicy like Nag Champa or Sandalwood. It is delicious in a way that I don't want to eat it...but is still delectable nonetheless! It feels warm to me...not a feeling in a physical sense...but more in an emotional sense. I know this all esoteric...and unbelievably subjective...but it is a scent that is hard to describe. I love this scent...and it is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I would love this scent on it's own...but it being GHOST Dragon's Blood takes it up another notch or two...or more! The cooling agent and how it slowly freezes you while you are experiencing the warm, almost sensual scent...is really divine. This soap is very much an experience...and not just a shave or a scent. I understand that this is a very weird summary of what I experienced this morning...but this is a very interesting soap! I don't know if Chris will continue making this scent...but if you haven't tried it...get one now!

The DANGER ZONE!!!

Well, the wife is out of town until Friday evening so I am playing bachelor with the Danger Hounds. I catch them looking at me out the corner of their eyes. They are plotting. While I don't believe they will do anything overt...I know they only tolerate me and are counting the hours until their mama is home.

Last week was a stressful one because of work. This is a new experience for me, because I just don't get stressed over work. But dealing with some of the people that I had to deal with really raised my hackles. There was one incident that almost evoked a fight or flight response that would not have worked out well for the other guy. I'm not boasting here. I'm stating my natural ability to react. If you are wondering, "What the hell is this guy talking about?" I'm talking about PTSD. And the next thing I did...I was very proud of what I have accomplished in my life since my time in Afghanistan. With great restraint...I choked down this feeling and sat there...and smiled. Knowing damn well that I have been threatened by more dangerous people than this guy. I would have never thought that I would have been put in a position doing what I do that would arouse these feelings and emotions. But I was...and I am happy to say that I acted appropriately and professionally.

Not sure why I am sharing all of this with you all...but I am. I just want to say that I appreciate all the supportive responses that I know I will get from the cadre. You all are my brothers...even if we have never met. Thanks for reading my journal all!

I hope this week rolls out much better for you. Sorry it was so stressful last week!

Great description of your perception on the CBL GDB. It helps!

Don, I have both Ghost and regular Dragon’s Blood and both have their place. I enjoy it with the cooling and without. Since this is a warm scent, the creeping cool fits amazingly well with it. It’s crazy, but it is a perfect fit.

Back