The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Awesome stuff with the CBL soap Don...it's awesome that the scent agrees with you so well!

Great shave and entry Don. Thanks for doing even though you were rushed. Hope Allie feels better. My last Staffy was named Allie.......miss her
Yeah...the Danger hound was back to her normal self when I got home from work. We give her Trifexis once a month...it's a Heart Worm plus flea and tick medication all in one. It's never settled well with her, but she has never did the amount of vomiting she did the other night. I think the wife and I will be looking into other heart worm meds for the Allie Monster.

And I understand about your Allie...we lost one of our dachshunds almost a year ago...she was 12...but it still hurt. Can't help but think of her from time to time.

Sounds like another promising scent from CBL!

And I know what you mean about the rugs....sigh.
This sent is amazing. It's not the same as either of them...but it is in the same wheel house as Victory Shaving Co.'s Pilot and the Chatillon Lux/Declaration Grooming Vide Poche. Very nice florals with sandalwood.

OH boy I was behind. I open the journal and what do I see. A GOAT! I had to make sure I was in the Danger Journal and not on @cblindsay farm!
A farm you say! I am starting to have a better appreciation for this Chris guy!

Great read and shave Don!
Thanks Craig!

+1

At least for my dogs, it’s because of the less-slippery surface, while they lose their innards.

Good shave though!
Yeah, I think you might be right about the rugs. I think someone once told me they do it because it is most like grass.

Awesome stuff with the CBL soap Don...it's awesome that the scent agrees with you so well!

It really does. If you would have told me five years ago that i would be wearing scents that have Jasmine, Honeysuckle, Lilac, and Rose in it...I would have laughed at you!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless - Green (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: CBL (w/Hemp Oil) - Sandalwood, Jasmine, Leather, Cedar, Rose
Brush: TSC Member Brush - the "Luca Brasi" by Eric Sorrentino
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

Didn't set up the photo lab...so no pic today!

This Scent is INTOXICATING!!! I have been on the search for reasonably priced tubs of the Chatillon Lux/Declaration Grooming collaboration of Vide Poche...but I have only been able to find ridiculously priced eBay items and really nothing on the BSTs. I haven't been looking as hard as I should though. Enter in Chris' soap he gave to me...My search is over! I believe that I like this scent better. It is definitely in the same wheelhouse...but it's not the same. I believe the sandalwood and leather add a ruggedness to the delicate florals. The cedar brings it all back down to earth. I think I mentioned this all yesterday...but it's so nice, it's worth saying twice! (I know I ripped this off of someone...but I can't remember who...is it okay to blind credit someone?)

I went in today with a dryer brush and I didn't bloom the soap. It is soft enough so I don't think blooming is necessary anyway. But this did the trick. Chris' soap is easy to load and easy to lather. Speaking of the lather...I got mine nice and thick...almost gel like...and then I added more water and got a super slick soap! I am curious to see if the addition of hemp oil in this rendition of Chris' soap makes any difference at all. I have a tub of the CBL Ghost Lime on the way...so I should be able to tell soon. But I will say, while this soap isn't quite as moisturizing as Declaration Grooming Icarus Base or LNHC (but really what else is?)...it is definitely up there with the best. Post shave feel was way above average and better than I expected. I had that nice fresh feeling for most of the day, yesterday. We will see what today brings!

Three quick passes and some nice cleanup with just the residual slickness and I was...how does Dave of the nursing variety put it...as smooth as dolphin skin? Well maybe not that smooth...but pretty darn close.

I have said it elsewhere, but I am so happy that I got the TSC brush made with a badger. This is quickly becoming my favorite brush of all. It is just really soft, but not floppy...this is the making of a fine relationship.

I finished off my sha
ve with a few glugs of Vide Poche aftershave. It's the closest thing I have to this scent profile...and it works. But I need to see if I can find a better match. The Avon Leather worked well yesterday...but just wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Anyway...it's HUMP DAY!!! And I hope the Cadre has a great one!

Don, I'm not sure who said that around here, but it originally came from a song about New York. The city so good they named it twice.

Great shave and read Don!

It nice when you find a scent you like and the performance is there too!

Well Don, I have not purchased a soap since I started making soap, but I will have to get a tub of TSC once it is made and online. Chris L was instrumental in getting me started down the soap making path, and he even shared with me the ancient soap making text that he refers to. Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way of my experimentation, and Chris' knowledge is now considered a trade secret.
1f607.png

Well Don, I have not purchased a soap since I started making soap, but I will have to get a tub of TSC once it is made and online. Chris L was instrumental in getting me started down the soap making path, and he even shared with me the ancient soap making text that he refers to. Unfortunately, life has gotten in the way of my experimentation, and Chris' knowledge is now considered a trade secret.
1f607.png

Hey! I hear your soap is no slouch!

I am curious about the title of this ancient soap making text.

I'd give you the title Doug, but it is in Aramaic. Just Kidding. Actually it is not that ancient, but compared to today's writings, it appears ancient, at least to me.

The title of the text is American Soaps. A complete Treatise on the Manufacture of Soap. The Author is Henry Gathmann who was also editor of the American Soap Journal. The book was published in 1893.

I'd give you the title Doug, but it is in Aramaic. Just Kidding. Actually it is not that ancient, but compared to today's writings, it appears ancient, at least to me.

The title of the text is American Soaps. A complete Treatise on the Manufacture of Soap. The Author is Henry Gathmann who was also editor of the American Soap Journal. The book was published in 1893.
Thanks. 125 years does seem kind of ancient to me too.

One more comment regarding the various Rockwell plates. Let me preface this by saying that I have never shaved with the Rockwell system, but I did purchase one for my son a couple of Christmases back soon after they launched the stainless version. My go to DE has for a long time been the ATT system, which only has 3 plates and 3 aggressiveness levels, M, R and H. These plates are available in open or closed comb. I opted for the open comb, and I have settled on the H2 plate which is their most aggressive. ATT sells their 5 piece set for $299, comes with your choice of handles, 3 plates and a cap. For $99.00, the Rockwell came with a handle, three plates with 6 aggressiveness options contained within, and a cap. For me it was sort of a no brainer. The Rockwell cost 1/3 the price of the ATT system, and provided twice the flexibility to find an aggressiveness that suites your beard/style. When getting back into DE shaving, the biggest challenge that I has was that I was not sure what aggressiveness level would suit me. Had the Rockwell system been available then, I certainly would have purchased it for myself. I am not equating the quality of manufacture between the ATT and Rockwell systems. ATT wins that battle hands down in my opinion. But the Rockwell system is well made, even if it does appear a little unorthodox due to the two sided bases.

My son is not a shave nut, and he probably only shaves once or twice a week. But, he does have a very full and thick beard. Previous to Rockwell, I had gifted him the Merkur Futur, which was his first experience with a DE. As stated above, I was not sure what aggressiveness to get when I came back to the DE, so I certainly could not make assumptions for my son. Once he shaved with the Futur, he has been a DE guy ever since. In his particular case, I think he likes it because it really is way more economical than cartridge shaving, and he gets better results. Especially since dad gave him the razors, and an Astra SP 100 pack. He texted me the other day and wanted to know if I had any soap, so one of the 4 oz. Beta 1.2.1 pucks has his name on it. I have no idea how long it will take him to go through the Astra blades, but I can tell you, the next 100 pack is on him.

How nice to have a dad that makes shave soap..... LOL

Thanks for the insight Walt.

Back