The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Great shave Don, glad the soap at least was a hit!

I’m right there with you on blooming soaps. I only did it off and on before, usually just on my triple milled, but now I’m doing it almost every shave. It’s not necessary, but no reason not to make thing easier for ourselves (sans carts of course!).

Great review and first impression, Don! I've also bypassed Uncle John's soaps numerous times, just not all that interested. But your review has me re-thinking that logic...

It does lather and shave really really well and like Don said I too saw super residual from it. The scent to me and my wife both after dry down was way on the powdery side of things. I would try another from Uncle Jon's though if i needed soap and they had a scent that stirred me up a bit.

Great review and first impression, Don! I've also bypassed Uncle John's soaps numerous times, just not all that interested. But your review has me re-thinking that logic...

The soap is legit. It's pretty good...better than a lot. Just need to find a scent that you like. But I will say that looking at the site...there are plenty of soaps to be had.
It does lather and shave really really well and like Don said I too saw super residual from it. The scent to me and my wife both after dry down was way on the powdery side of things. I would try another from Uncle Jon's though if i needed soap and they had a scent that stirred me up a bit.

To be honest TJ...I am finding much the same as you. I'm not sure I would call it powdery...but it does dry down into something...I'm not fond of. Just before work I went ahead and sprayed on some English Laundry Arrogant which has a nice light fruity summery type scent with no issues in the projection department. But several hours later...all I smell is the soap and aftershave. Shave was good...scent not so much. Unfortunately...this will likely go to a much deserving home.

While I sit here at work waiting for the magic tone to blow the announcement that the work day has ended and the weekend has begun, I guess I can add a bit to THE DANGER ZONE:

Good things are happening at the Danger Home. Yesterday I had something delivered that will make my life immensely easier. It is shaving related...just not the shaving you are thinking of...

Don't mind the clutter in the garage. The wife and I are going out this weekend to find a shed for some of the crap we store in the garage. But yeah...got me a Toro Timecutter 4225 Zero Turn Mower! I don't have a huge yard...but it is big enough. This will cut my mowing time by more than half. Plus I mow one of my neighbor's yard fairly often...so this again will help out. Very excited to get out and play with it. Now if it would ever stop raining...I could cut my rain forest that is supposed to be my yard!

I'm getting tire put on the truck tomorrow. Normally this is an expense that I would cringe at. But I found a pretty good deal on some tires that I really like. They are 70,000 mile rated...so these will likely be the last tires I buy for the truck.

All in all...things are going pretty well at the Danger Home...better than the past two years that is. Anyway...just thought I would share! If I haven't said it already (I did...but I want to say it again) , have a wonderful weekend Cadre!

I was reading something about zero turns that if you have a grade steeper than 10 degrees, then you are supposed to mow up the grade in reverse. Now that would be some funny stuff!

If the yard wherever we move to is bigger than the footprint of the house we're in, we'll be getting a riding mower as well, probably a zero turn at that. Those are fun to drive once you've got the hang of how to do it!

If the yard wherever we move to is bigger than the footprint of the house we're in, we'll be getting a riding mower as well, probably a zero turn at that. Those are fun to drive once you've got the hang of how to do it!

I used to think people who bought zero turns for residential were wasting money. But after using my Father-in-law's Zero Turn...I have changed my mind. I definitely didn't get the biggest one..and don't need one...but this little guy really does cut my mowing in more than half the time...from mowing to trimming and edging and blowing.

I’ve got about a 5 thousand square foot of a lot in all. It’s pushing the edge of the capabilities of my little green electric mower. During the heaviest growing months, if I don’t mow weekly, I can’t go more than a handful of turns without needing to empty the bag, lol.

I’ve got about a 5 thousand square foot of a lot in all. It’s pushing the edge of the capabilities of my little green electric mower. During the heaviest growing months, if I don’t mow weekly, I can’t go more than a handful of turns without needing to empty the bag, lol.

Sounds like you need a truck load of river pebble and few gallons of Roundup more than a mower!?

Sounds like you need a truck load of river pebble and few gallons of Roundup more than a mower!?

Lol there are days I’m tempted to go the drought resistant route...but we enjoy our garden and fruit trees too much. Soon will be the first time our lemon and peach trees have a crop since we moved in almost 2 years ago. The fig produces like a champ already!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Polsilver SI (4th Use)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Coconut Sandalwood
Brush: TSC Member Brush "Luca Brasi" with Finest Badger
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - Platinum
The Ultimate Aftershave : Fine Accouterments - Platinum EdT

No Pic...sorry ladies and gents.

This pic was from last night. The wife and I went out with her parents and her best friend to eat (more about that below) and I wanted to look nice and smell nice. I have been testing new soaps and trying out samples so much lately, that last night I wanted to do my own thing. So I pulled out the Mystic Water Coconut Sandalwood. Sadly this tub is starting to go the way of the dodo...extinct. I have plenty left, but there is a rather pronounced clearing at the bottom of the tub. Sad indeed. But like a charm...this wonderful soap cast me in a lather spell and before you know it...I was clean shaved with a very close comfortable shave. My face feeling very moisturized and I was feeling great! Fine Platinum seems to be the scent du jour lately and I find that it pairs beautifully with the coconut sandalwood. The perfect summer pairing.

After I ordered and received my TSC member brush...I had second thoughts about the badger knot I had Eric put in it. But after the last few shaves with it...I am super happy I did indeed have a badger inserted. This brush is shaping up to be one of my favorites. It has shed a few hairs...but that is to be expected. But I am really loving the feel for this brush and the way it performs. So happy I picked the badger. In fact...if you are ready to get another or your first brush from Mr. Sorrentino...then consider a badger.

The Danger Zone:

The wife's birthday was on the 14th..and the past couple years her birthday hasn't been a pleasant one. I won't drag
out the details as many of yo already know the story...but two years ago on her birthday, we were stuck in a shelter after a cataclysmic flood devastated the area in which we live. Our home was lost and it was indeed the lowest point of our lives. So her birthday, understandably, was not a good one. Last year was better...but not great. This year the memories of that frightful event have softened just a bit.

Anyway...Her mom and dad and her best friend and the two of us went to one of our favorite restaurants. The night was wonderful and I really wish I would have taken a pic of what I ate last night...because in addition to it being delicious...it was beautiful. Basically it was two fillet medallions cooked in an herb and butter compound with crispy roasted potatoes, and haricot verts (green beans). All drizzled in a home made Worcestershire Sauce. The steak was cooked medium rare and I only needed to use a fork to cut it...it was butter smooth and tender. I pride myself in grilling a fantastic steak...but this was beyond anything I could make myself. Just delicious.

I did partake in some things that I probably shouldn't have. I had a little bread (believe me...just a little) and I ate the potatoes on my dish. I also had a couple bites of my wife's Ricotta Pie with raspberry drizzle. But all is well as I checked myself this morning and I wasn't knocked out of ketosis. So it won't take me days to get back in. I capped this fine meal with a small barrel bourbon made specifically for the restaurant where we went.

All in all it was a good night and I got to see my wife smile and laugh...which is worth the price of admission.

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!

Wow Don knows how to par-tay!

Sounds like a wonderful celebration, so glad that you’re in a much better place this year.

Great shave too!

I don’t normally care for red meat, but a nice tender filet is a thing of great meals. Glad you all had a good time this year.

Back