The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Nice shave. The Zorrik blades sound great.

I hope that you get your tooth fixed quickly and that it isn't too expensive.

That last 1 you bought KJ from the Round Table. Was it limited or did everyone that wanted one get a chance?
It was a limited run of 65 brushes, which is quite a lot. I was first come first served by who emailed him after he announced it.

It was a limited run of 65 brushes, which is quite a lot. I was first come first served by who emailed him after he announced it.
Thanks, I don't do social media really but got in to the round table on FB so I'll be in the mix next time perhaps.

Great shave and read Don!

What is Icarus?

Bummer about the tooth!

Thanks for reading Craig. Project Icarus is a relatively new soap base by Declaration Grooming .a lot of people are saying that it's really good. On par or better than Wholly Kaw donkey milk.

It's not really that bad. I don't have any pain and it doesn't bother me at all. It just looks unsightly. I guess I could forgo a crown and go for the..."I played hockey in college" look.
Dude, think about your YouTube career.

Yeah...all 18 subscribers...oh, wait...now it's 19.
1f606.png

Way more than me.
1f615.png

And how did you subscribe to your own channel 19 times?

Thanks Walt! You are absolutely correct. Our dogs have gotten us through some pretty rough times. They don't change...they roll with the punches. And the love you in the end. I am thoroughly convinced that Fido is smarter than we are!

On a side note that most people don't really think about. Not so much anymore but a common name for a dog used to be Fido. We have come to know that dogs are "man's best friend." The Fido stems from the Latin word fidelis...and any US Marine knows that fidelis means faithful (Marine Corps Motto is Semper Fidelis...Always Faithful). In turn, when we call a dog Fido, what we are really saying as that he is faithful and trustworthy. I took five semesters of Latin in college and it took my wife explaining that to me to realize why we call dogs Fido.

Now that is a funny story. Semper Fidelis Don.

So sorry to hear about the tooth Don. I bet you have a brush that you can limp along with until the dentist is paid and you are cash positive again. I had my car inspected yesterday, and the right rear shock was leaking. They had to replace the pair. Now normally I would just have bought the shocks and put them on myself, but I just have not had the time, and I have not talked to my buddy with the lift for quite some time. I did not want to replace them on my back, and I did not want to make the call "hey Woody, what's been happening with you over the past couple of years? Oh by the way, do you have anything on the lift?" $730 for the shocks , with labor and $820 total with inspection and they fixed a slow leak in my tire.

We sound like Clint Eastwood on Grand Torino here, sans the cussing.

Razor: Gillette Big Fellow
Blade: Polsilver SI (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche
Brush: Stirling Synthetic w/ Pro Handle
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

This is the first shave in a line of a few more to come with this soap and aftershave. But I need to come back a little and mention the razor. This is my Gillette Big Fellow. I LOVE THIS RAZOR!!! Despite a little wear and tear on the top...it is overall in great shape...especially for a razor that is almost a century old. I have the whole kit and caboodle on this one...the gumwood box, the blade bank...and of course this very handsome razor. I don't use it much...for obvious reasons. This morning I was going to use my slim, but I heard a voice behind me. A cry from the dark if you will. This was the sound of a loved one being neglected. I opened up my modest den and the pleading was stronger. I heard the voice coming from that gumwood box...and when I opened it...there was a cry of jubilation! So today's shave is really brought to you by the almost neglected Gillette Big Fellow.

Okay...I'm going to try something a little different with the videos. Later I am going to do a first impression video of this soap...with no shaving involved. I will likely go over how this morning's shave went and what I feel I might expect out of this soap and aftershave in the next few days. On my third or fourth shave...I will do a full on video review. So expect a Vide Poche review part one and two.

What can I tell you about this soap and aftershave...

This scent is going to be one of those love it or hate it scents. You will either hate the scent because it's just not your thing...or
you are going to love it. Let me correct that...you will REALLY LOVE IT!!! There will be no indifference to this scent. It's just going to be that polarizing.

Where do I stand? This is the most amazing scent that has ever passed through my nostrils. I LOVE IT!!! It is just amazing. It is green and sweet and fresh and sophisticated and...and...and I don't know what...it's just great. The scent notes from Declaration are as follows: honeysuckle, freesia, lavender, orange, bergamot and amber .

I'm not going to get too much into the performance of the soap right now. I will leave that for subsequent shaves. But a cursory review....yeah, it's pretty damn good! I have been wanting to try DG's new Icarus base, but to tell you the truth, the limited offerings in this soap base just were not jazzing me all that much.

Shore - Sounds like a couple of soaps I already have
Sweet Lemon - I just bought Sudsy Soapery Uplift and Wholly Kaw Agrumi in Estate
Contemplation - Yeah Yeah Yeah...Lonestar from Noble Otter, Chiseled Face Summer Storm, etc etc etc

I want a soap that isn't the norm...

That is why when Vide Poche came up...and DG was offering free shipping (even though I had to get the AS elsewhere)...I said, "yes please!"

A quick note on the aftershave...

I saw that Chad did not like the aftershave that accompanied his DG Shore soap. That's a bummer. I haven't watched his video today yet (don't worry Mr. Vargo...I most certainly will), so I don't know the particulars. The Vide Poche aftershave from Chatillon Lux smells exactly like the soap. Maybe a little bit of the denatured alcohol comes through...but ultimately they smell the same. I was a little worried upon first application, I thought that the AS was going to be sticky. In fact, while it goes on a little tacky, it dries down exceptionally well. I won't say this has the best longevity...but you can get a good half a day out of the scent and I am still getting faint wisps of it even now.

Anyway...I have bored you all enough. I'll try to get a video up later and then a full review of this in a few days. Thanks guys for reading and responding!

Have a wonderful weekend!

So sorry to hear about the tooth Don. I bet you have a brush that you can limp along with until the dentist is paid and you are cash positive again. I had my car inspected yesterday, and the right rear shock was leaking. They had to replace the pair. Now normally I would just have bought the shocks and put them on myself, but I just have not had the time, and I have not talked to my buddy with the lift for quite some time. I did not want to replace them on my back, and I did not want to make the call "hey Woody, what's been happening with you over the past couple of years? Oh by the way, do you have anything on the lift?" $730 for the shocks , with labor and $820 total with inspection and they fixed a slow leak in my tire.

We sound like Clint Eastwood on Grand Torino here, sans the cussing.

Ouch! Shocks are one of those things. When I was stationed in Hawaii I has an island car and need new strut mounts...I decided to do them myself. I took it to the hobby shop on base and went to dismantle the springs...some guy saw what I was doing and about crapped his pants right there. He cam over and showed me how dangerous that was. He helped me the rest of the day and the strut mounts got replaced. But from now on...I don't touch shocks or struts. Sorry you are out almost a grand...but at least it's done now.

And hey...I aspire to be Clint Eastwood from Grand Torino!

Does Dec. Grooming make that aftershave or does Chatillon? That could be the difference. Regardless nice read Don. Enjoy your weekend.

Does Dec. Grooming make that aftershave or does Chatillon? That could be the difference. Regardless nice read Don. Enjoy your weekend.

It's made by Chatillon Lux. I compared ingredients to the one you have...and they are definitely not the same.

Back