The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Don, based on your review alone, I went to the website to purchase that soap. But alas, it's already sold out!

Not boring at all, Don. A fun read. It sounds like I'd like, no LOVE the soap scent. Maybe I'll try it one day. I like DG soaps, but I'm flush with soaps for the next few months.

Finally caught up Don! Some great shaves and even better acquisitions! Loving the videos you're putting out as well!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Polsilver SI (2nd Use)
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche
Brush: TSC Member Brush "Luca Brasi"
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

No Pic...sorry guys.

Okay...so really quick entry this morning as I have to be out the door in about 30 minutes. Switched to the Slim from the Big Fellow and I decided on an effortless shave. So I bumped the adjustable setting down to two and did a four pass shave with cleanup. The results were Fantastic! This soap is exceeding my expectations and they were pretty high to begin with. I talked about the scent last time...and I am not changing my mind. Might be my favorite scent of any shaving soap I have, and certainly of any shaving soap and AS combo! This soap is super slick with incredible residual slickness! My post shave feel was pretty good last time...but I went with a looser lather today with the addition of more water...and I have a feeling the post shave feel is going to be great. FYI...this soap base might be the thirstiest I have come across...I am sure it is the same for the other Icarus soap...so if you pick one up...don't be afraid to start out wet!

It's about all I have time for guys! I'm on the road for the day for work so I might pull up some TSC member videos and listen while I drive! Have a great one!

Great quick shave Don, and I love that Big Fellow. Not much can go wrong with a three piece razor design. It should last for hundreds of more years with appropriate care.

Great quick shave Don, and I love that Big Fellow. Not much can go wrong with a three piece razor design. It should last for hundreds of more years with appropriate care.

Thanks Walt! The Big Fellow is really a work of art!

You're wearing me down with this Icarus soap!
1f60e.png

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Polsilver SI (3rd Use)
Soap/Cream: Uncle Jon's - Gravity
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave : Uncle Jon's - Gravity

After shaving with and reviewing some of my purchases, I decided to go ahead and start working through some of the soaps and aftershaves that TJ graciously PIFd to me! First up is Uncle Jon's. I have seen the Uncle Jon's soaps floating around Facebook and the such. These soaps ALWAYS seem get great praise. I have almost purchased a tub or two...but then always decided to do something else. This is a great opportunity to try!

To be honest...upon first whiff out of the container I "assumed" that this was going to be a barbershop scent. Now, I am super finicky about barbershop scents. Most of them tend to be over-powdery and that isn't my thing. There are some that I like...they just have to set themselves apart in the scent direction. But anyway...like I said...I "assumed" this was a barbershop scent. Back to that later...

I went ahead and scraped a healthy amount off the top of the soap and put it in my Captain's Choice bowl for loading. I went ahead and actually bloomed this while I was showering. I'm not sure why, but all of the sudden I have been blooming my soaps lately and have been getting really good lathers. I used to say that a good soap doesn't need the help of a bloom...and while that is still true...I think...I have changed my tune a bit. Anyway...loaded the soap and faced lathered. I really didn't have a whole lot of expectation for this soap...honestly, I think it has to do with the packaging...it's overly simple. It's not a knock really, as I understand that these artisans are trying to reduce their overhead as much as possible. But in the back of my head, I equate overly simple p
ackaging to probably not so good results. I swear, I will never buy another soap from a fair or farmer's market that is out of one of those small Mason jars. But loading this soap was pretty easy. Smearing it accross my face and then building the lather...the first thing that came to my mind was...Stirling. It's been a while since I have used a Stirling soap...but it is hard to forget that unique gel like lather that it yields. The Uncle Jon's soap is similar. Maybe not exactly the same...but similar.

This is when I noticed the scent. I wouldn't say that it was strong...but it was definitely noticeable. For reference sake, the Uncle Jon's website describes this scent as...

​Uncle Jon’s Gravity is the ultimate cologne scent. Notes of Crisp Alpine Air, Mandarin, Cardamom, Vetiver, Suede, Vanilla, and Teakwood will have you feeling clean and dapper in no time.

This is not what I get at all. In it's entirety...what I get is earth. Yup dirt. But in a really good way. If I think about it...then yeah...I think I get the "Alpine Air," and the Cardamom, and definitely the Vetiver...maybey even the Suede. But Mandarine? Nope. Vanilla? Nope. Teakwood? Not sure. Anyway...it's a nice scent...not sure if it is for me...but nice none the less.

The soap shaves wonderfully...hitting all the right notes for a nice catchy song. Where this soap shines is the residual slickness. The residual slickness is an element all to its self with this soap. I was able to do EXTENSIVE cleanup and actually chased a BBS (didn't get as expected...but very close). Yeah...this soap is worth the price of admission just from the residual slickness. The jury is out still on post shave feel, but I will let you all know later. The reason is...the afyershave is super sticky. So yeah...not a huge fan there.

All in all I had a great shave. If I had to rank this soap...On Chad's Scale I would say that it is actually a Tier 1 soap...and I would safely put it at Box 4...it might jump to box 3 with continued use.

This is running long so no Danger Zone today guys. But I hope the Cadre has a wonderful day! IT'S FRIDAY YO!

Back