The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Zorrik Super Stainless (4th Use)
Soap/cream: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
Brush: Stirling 26 mm Synthetic
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave : Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
The Ultimate Aftersahve: Not really sure at this point...but leaning toward English Laundry - Arrogant

No pic today...sorry guys!

I failed to mention yesterday guys...if anyone would like a sample of this soap...PM me a place I can send it to and I will get it out in the mail. I still haven't lathered from the tub, so all should be well...

I want to try to keep this one short. Shaved with Agrumi in Estate again and during lathering added a lot more water to it. Man can this stuff take some hydration. I got my lather a bit thinner...but in a really good way! It still ended up being super creamy and luxurious feeling! But what really improved was the residual slickness. With the addition of extra water to the lather...the residual slickness was off the charts!

The shave itself was a very comfortable one. I am trying to go back to basics and work on how much pressure I am applying. I tried to really pay attention to growth pattern also...so my passes were not my typical north to south east to west passes, but I am not sure they were WtG, XtG, and AtG passes either. I was actually shaving in contour lines across my face and neck. So yeah...I was getting the typical passes done...just not one pass at a time. All in all it worked out. I noticed that my face was pretty smooth...so why not chase a BBS. This was where I messed up. TO MUCH PRESSURE! A couple nicks and a little redness on my trouble spots. Nothing really too bad...but I did not get that BBS. Still a very comfortable and close shave.

The Danger Zone:

Went to the dentist yesterday...the dentist I see is the wife of one of brother's best friends...so while I don't think I get anything extra per say...I think she spends a little more time on me. The story with the chip on my tooth is that she went ahead and repaired it last time...but because it is in a high stress spot...it only lasted a couple of weeks. She made the comment that I have such really healthy teeth that she hates to see that chip...so she wants to have another crack at it (see what I did there). She went ahead and really took her time with it...making sure that there were no spots that would cause undo pressure while chewing. Hopefully this will take care of it, because the next step is likely a crown. I have dental insurance...and pretty good dental insurance at that. But that's not an expense I really want to undertake if I don't have to.

Hope the cadre has a wonderful day!

Great shave Don!
Glad the dental trip turned out okay! Hopefully the repair will last this time!

It’s good to know the right people! Glad you got it taken care of.

Sounds like you’re really enjoying the soap...great! ?

Great shave Don!

Good luck at the Dentist!
Hope things went well at the dentist
Great shave Don!
Glad the dental trip turned out okay! Hopefully the repair will last this time!
It’s good to know the right people! Glad you got it taken care of.

Sounds like you’re really enjoying the soap...great!
1f60e.png

Thanks guys for reading! And about the dentist? Well more to come on that later!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Zorrik Super Stainless (5th Use)
Soap/Cream: Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
Brush: Sorrentino "Luca Brasi" TSC Member Brush in Finest Badger
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave : Wholly Kaw - Agrumi in Estate
The Ultimate Aftersahve: Not sure...put I think I am going with either Musgo Real Spiced Orange or Orange Amber

A fifth use on a single blade? That is crazy for me! I really think KJ is rubbing off on me for some reason...I usually use a blade till the end of the shave week for me (Friday) and then pitch it. But a fifth shave? This Zorrik blade is really much better than I thought it would be...and I don't think they are crazy expensive either. A cursory look on this thing the kids call the interwebs and Amazon and Ebay have a 100 pack for $13.95 and free shipping. I may have to give these guys a real hard look. Not sure how many I have...I will have to sift through the big bowl of loose blades...but it is a pretty good blade!

I bowl lathered with the Agrumi in Estate today. And man I dumped some serious water into this soap. I'm not sure it is possible to over-hydrate this soap at all. I spent a good amount of time concentrating on building a really good lather...and in the end...that is what I did. The properties do change a little with the more water you introduce. But in the end...I ended up with a slick soap that provides cushion and protects well and has one of the better (not the best) residual slickness out there. Post shave feel is definitely up there too. Is the shave the same as with the regular Wholly Kaw donkey milk base? It's close. But I swear the lather feels creamier than the tub of King of Oud I have. It's not a pro or con...it's just different. I am thinking a followup to my initial impressions are in order...but you know...shorter. I don't know if the collagen really plays much in the way of immediate results...it just might be one of those characteris
tics that improves with continual use.

I am still working on the pressure thing and I feel like my skin is recovering from the shave much faster. I have shaved everyday this week so far and I don't feel like I have razor burn or anything. I am getting good solid three passes and an extensive cleanup. I don't have a full 100% BBS shave...but it is much cleaner than I have had in a while. I think I may have actually learned something from Xeno Dave in his video about different shaving strokes for different folks.

The Danger Zone:

I went to the dentist the day before yesterday and I am super happy with the attention I got. She is a younger dentist...but with all the innovations in dentistry that have come about...I am a little less concerned with experience as I was before. Yesterday morning I was eating a piece of hard salami on my way to work (yes I eat salami for breakfast sometimes...it's weird...get over it
1f60b.png
) and I bit into something hard. And then the next thing I know...my tooth is badly chipped again. So I am guessing it is going to be a crown for that tooth. With my insurance and whatever kind of friendly discount I can get from the dentist...my portion of payment will be between $600 and $700...well I guess I can kiss that Paladin goodbye for now...

I hope the Cadre has an absolutely FANTASTIC day today!

Oops! I forgot to mention...I still haven't lathered in the Agrumi in Estate yet. So if you want a sample of it...let me know and I will get it out this weekend for you!

Bummer about the tooth chip, but I'm not surprised. Not that I'm a dentist, of course, but I've had extensive work done over the years, and was afraid that was going to happen. And crowns? Yeh, I gotta a bunch.

Oops! I forgot to mention...I still haven't lathered in the Agrumi in Estate yet. So if you want a sample of it...let me know and I will get it out this weekend for you!

I'd like to take you up on your generous offer, Don. Thanks!

Geez Don. Tough luck on the tooth. I have a chip too that thankfully isn't affecting anything else. And the dentist has just let it be. But I know if I want it fixed I will need to fork over the money for a crown.

I would ask for a sample but then I'd want to buy the soap and I just bought some of the Icarus stuff!

I would ask for a sample but then I'd want to buy the soap and I just bought some of the Icarus stuff!

And your point is?

I just received some of that Icarus stuff too. I Gail to see your objection here. Don't worry, I got you covered!

Don, that stinks about the tooth again and especially if it postpones the Paladin. You see that was just a postpone. There is another drop of 30something brushes by them.........If you buy some Zorriks in bulk make note of which you have and want since there are different ones.

Don, that stinks about the tooth again and especially if it postpones the Paladin. You see that was just a postpone. There is another drop of 30something brushes by them.........If you buy some Zorriks in bulk make note of which you have and want since there are different ones.

Thanks Dave! I would love to get in on this next Paladin drop but I think I'm going to have to wait for one down the line.

Not sure if I want to make the Zorrik Super Stainless my go to blade or not...but it is much better than I expected.

The Danger Zone:

I went to the dentist the day before yesterday and I am super happy with the attention I got. She is a younger dentist...but with all the innovations in dentistry that have come about...I am a little less concerned with experience as I was before. Yesterday morning I was eating a piece of hard salami on my way to work (yes I eat salami for breakfast sometimes...it's weird...get over it ) and I bit into something hard. And then the next thing I know...my tooth is badly chipped again. So I am guessing it is going to be a crown for that tooth. With my insurance and whatever kind of friendly discount I can get from the dentist...my portion of payment will be between $600 and $700...well I guess I can kiss that Paladin goodbye for now...

Major bummer! At least you exhausted other options first I guess.

Major bummer! At least you exhausted other options first I guess.

It's not really that bad. I don't have any pain and it doesn't bother me at all. It just looks unsightly. I guess I could forgo a crown and go for the..."I played hockey in college" look.

Thanks Dave! I would love to get in on this next Paladin drop but I think I'm going to have to wait for one down the line.

Not sure if I want to make the Zorrik Super Stainless my go to blade or not...but it is much better than I expected.
Was joking about the drop. I don't know that they are worth it with the chaos to get one before gone. Had 1 jerked out of my cart when paypal was slow to finalize transaction couple drops ago.

Was joking about the drop. I don't know that they are worth it with the chaos to get one before gone. Had 1 jerked out of my cart when paypal was slow to finalize transaction couple drops ago.

That sucks! The should allow you a decent amount of time to keep an item in your cart before it gets pulled. I don't think it would hurt their sales any.

That sucks! The should allow you a decent amount of time to keep an item in your cart before it gets pulled. I don't think it would hurt their sales any.
Its an issue with his software, he doesn’t like it either. He has addressed it in the past and is trying to fix it.

Back