The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

An abbreviated Danger Zone today guys. I have been devoting a good bit of my time trying to enhance the production value of my Intro and Credits for my videos. That and I have a couple videos on deck...I just have to edit and produce. Just to let you all know, Xeno Dave suggested I purchase the software Cyberlink's PowerDirector. I caught it on sale and as I am learning all the ins and outs and whathaveyous (Big Lebowski reference) I will say that the cost of the software is worth it if you a producing from the laptop or PC. At any rate...below are the links and video to my latest...it was very impromptu and production value very low. But it's there it is if you want to punish yourself. Also, there is the pic to may latest SOTD. I will comment more on that shave later...as that is one of the videos. I hope the Cadre has an absolutely wonderful Tuesday!

https://www.theshavingcadre.com/post/my-den-or-how-did-i-make-a-20-minute-video-showing-off-a-closet-9807466?pid=1304975133

Razor: Christopher Bradley Razor by Karve Razor Co.
Blade: Zorrik Super Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Wholly Kaw - King of Oud
Brush: Stirling 24 mm Fan Finest Badger
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave : Figaro Monsieur
The Ultimate Aftersahve: Wholly Kaw - King of Oud

I haven't been posting my regular shaves the past few days. This is mostly because I have been dedicating some considerable effort to producing some videos. According to the videos...I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO SHAVE!!! I promise you I do. But this made me think that maybe I got too comfortable with my rotation of razors that I kind of forgot the fundamentals. So It is a joy that Dave in KY loaned me his Karve razor. This morning I decided to use a soap that I KNOW is slick and moisturizing and that will forgive a little bad technique. All the while I focused on lightness of touch and which way my grain lays. My mind wandered. Soon thereafter I felt myself pushing too hard and d r a g g i n g the razor across my skin. Yup...I really need to start paying more attention.

Anyway...if you have watched my past two videos, you will know that I started out with the "C" plate, then used the "D" plate. Today I am back to the "C" plate. This one definitely is a more comfortable shave...but I am wondering if with better technique, the "D" plate would be better. Despite my loss of concentration...I only managed a couple of weepers on my neck (it's always my neck) and a little Thayers and some Figaro Monsieur fixed all of that. By the way...if you haven't tried the Figaro aftershave...do yourself a favor and get some...it's really good stuff. I am going to splash on the King of Oud in a bit after the Fig
aro drys down a little.

The Danger Zone

I have been staying super busy at work this week. And I mean really busy. But it's a good busy...not all rushing around frantic trying to get my reports in before the end of the month. It is a nice feeling not having to be panicked at finishing up that last report of the month. The wife and I might be getting in some really good news this or next week from the federal government. It's in relation to that god awful flood I keep yammering about that happened a couple years ago. It's been a long haul...but I think we are finally starting to not think of it anymore. This is good for me...but more importantly...good for the wife's mental state of being.

Enough for now...I will chat with you all later! Have a wonderful hump day!

Good report Don and yes we all can get complacent with shaves at times. Good video from yesterday too and yes, remember send that to that someone else before me.

Good report Don and yes we all can get complacent with shaves at times. Good video from yesterday too and yes, remember send that to that someone else before me.

Already worked out! And thanks! I will let you know when it ships!

I forgot to mention this Don, on your Shave Den video at 6:40 you were talking about your Tech, and saying it didn't have a crack in the handle. That is not the type of handle that cracks. That handle is solid. The handles that crack are hollow. Yours is skinnier than those too. And the plating on it isn't gone, necessarily. They were originally that gold color, and weren't silver/chrome plated.

I forgot to mention this Don, on your Shave Den video at 6:40 you were talking about your Tech, and saying it didn't have a crack in the handle. That is not the type of handle that cracks. That handle is solid. The handles that crack are hollow. Yours is skinnier than those too. And the plating on it isn't gone, necessarily. They were originally that gold color, and weren't silver/chrome plated.

Thanks KJ! That razor looked a little too"brassy" and I assumed that the plating was stripped. Also thanks for the info on the handle.

But it what about the TP and plunger? ?

But it what about the TP and plunger?
1f60b.png
I foresee the TP getting a lot of cracks in the future! You don't even want to know about the Plunger (Plus this is a family show!)

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Zorrik Super Stainless (2nd Use)
Soap/cream: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - Premium Artisan Shave Soap - Coconut Oud
Brush: Stirling 26 mm Synthetic
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave : Barbasol Pacific Rush
The Ultimate Aftersahve: Fine - Platinum

Sorry no Pic Gents!

After the last few shaves looking like the special effects from the latest Zombie Apocalypse movie, I wanted to go with something a little more comfortable. I grabbed my Slim and set to the number two setting. Yup, you heard that right...number two. I have decided that I am using way too much pressure when I shave...and i will work on that later...but for now...I just wanted to relax. Number two it is. I am super stocked about all the stuff the TJ sent me...and I want to try it all out! But I had my eye on the LNHC Coconut Oud! I tried a sample of this a while back...and it was good...but as it goes with samples...the soap really got lost in the shuffle. I am glad I had the opportunity to try this soap...and this version of this soap. As I understand, Lisa has reformulated her stuff. Can't wait to try that also. I am limited on time this morning so I won't go into every little detail, but I want to point out my observations. Where this soap really excels is providing some really nice and comfortable protection. Part of this is the slickness of the soap...yup, that stuff is there too...but it's more than that. The soap allows you to just have an effortless shave! Some things I do wish were a little better (and it is likely addressed in the next iteration), but residual slickness and post shave feel/moisturizing are a little lacking. Definitely not bad...and in fact, I have paid a lot more for a soap that had much less in this department. But I do wish these factors were a little better.

This shave I really paid attention to the grain of my beard. I don't know if i wasn't paying attention b
efore or if my facial hair decided it wanted to change directions. Either way...the direction of growth was not what I thought it was. I changed up some strokes, changed up the order of passes, and three and a cleanup later...I had a smooth face! I struggled with what aftershave I was going to use today...it is seaming like the more products I get...the less choices I have. I know that makes no sense...but that is how I feel. Anyway, after staring at my den for about 10 minutes I decided that since I have ten bottles of Barbasol Pacific Rush...that was what I was going to use. It was the perfect scent combination for Lisa's Soap this morning!

All in all, I really like LNHC Premium Artisan Shave Soap. And the funny thing is...if any other soap that I used was lacking in the areas I described, it would likely get tossed into the Tier 2 category automatically. But the areas that this soap is good in...is REALLY good! After my first real use...I am placing this in the Tier 1 category and according to Chad's newest ranking system...Box 3. After continued use...this will likely increase!

The Danger Zone:

Not much to say in the Danger Zone today gents. I took my time above and now have to rush through the rest of the journals before I leave for work. Well I guess I have one thing. Football season is almost upon us...and last night I found myself watching a Canadian Football League game. I mean I was actually watching it...and enjoying it! It was just nice to see and hear the sounds of competition and fandom again. It's been a long summer...and College football is almost here!

I hope that the cadre has a wonderful Friday and a Better Weekend!

Nice read about the Lisa's soap. I think her premium version is leaps and bounds better than the original version, but I'm with you on the Tier 1 aspect. But like you, I haven't used them enough yet to give a "valid" rating. The new formula that everyone is talking about has me very much intrigued.

And I totally know what you mean about the soap/aftershave quandry! That's one reason why I use Fine Snake Bite so often. But I mainly depend on an EdP or EdT rather than aftershave for the final frag.

The soap allows you to just have an effortless shave! Some things I do wish were a little better (and it is likely addressed in the next iteration), but residual slickness and post shave feel/moisturizing are a little lacking.

Exactly my thoughts on it as well!

Hey Don...congrats on finding a diet that works and sticking with it.
It's fun to get to know all you guys through the blog here...but it is even funner to get to see the video posts that you and others are sharing. (love your sense of humor, very similar to mine).
Thanks for sharing!

Back