The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Personna Blue (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Sudsy Soapery Uplift
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavmac Two Band Silver Tip Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Fine - L'Orange Noir

No pic this morning guys...sorry...maybe tonight!

I am finally getting around to shaving with my tub of Sudsy Soapery Uplift. And if you don't know...this is the one and only soap of theirs that is in a tallow base. All of the others contain lanolin, but not tallow. I have about five other SS tubs, and their consistency out of the container can be likened to a thick or dense mousse (mmm...mousse). That's not to say that it is a dense soap at all. Uplift, seems to be much thicker and denser. More like butter in the fridge that hasn't hardened all the way and can still be scooped with ease. The scent is a simple one...much like their others. A couple of notes and that is it. This is in part because SS uses only EOs in their soaps. Which makes me wonder now come to think of it...they must be buying EOs in such bulk to offset the cost. Because the cost on this not quite $16 and you get 5.5 ounces. That's a pretty good deal. But anyway...the scent on this is a bit of muted citrus but still containing it's brightness. I will get into the shave a bit more later this week...but initial impressions of how this soap performs...is VERY good. The one tidbit I do want to say...just about 30 minutes after my shave...this might be the most nourishing and moisturizing soap I have had yet. I have always appreciated post shave feel with SS and always wondered why they didn't have a tallow based soap. I really thought that it would bump up their game a bit. I was wrong...It bumped up their game a lot! I will let you all know more about this later. I rarely chase BBS, but did so today. while my face is super smooth...my neck is almost there...but with a couple nicks and weepers. Yup I went for the elusive four pass shave. But all is well. A few glugs and splashes (not sure which is the bigger increment) of that "Orange Dirt" as Chris has coined it. And everything in my world faded.
I was left only with a face that I can't stop touching...and a scent that the ladies at work love!

Don great stuff with SS Tallow. I figured of they added Tallow thinks would get great. They have a great soap base they work with for sure.

Good review Don. Sorry the shave was a little rough, but glad you turned it decent!

Great shave and thoughts on the SS Don,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Watchout Ladies at work
Watch out ladies...indeed! ?

Don great stuff with SS Tallow. I figured of they added Tallow thinks would get great. They have a great soap base they work with for sure.
It's actually sad...because I think I'm going to like this soap base a lot...but this will likely be the last thing I buy from them.

Good review Don. Sorry the shave was a little rough, but glad you turned it decent!
The part of the shave that was rough was really my fault. I went at this a little too agressive today. Post Shave Feel is still going strong almost five hours later.

Thanks for reading guys.

Since I've been sold on Platinum, lets talk about orange dirt. Is it just a fresh clean orange scent or is there another note to it?

Since I've been sold on Platinum, lets talk about orange dirt. Is it just a fresh clean orange scent or is there another note to it?

I would not describe it as fresh clean citrus. It's a musty orange if you will. Heavy on the orange and equal on the earthieness.

Getting caught back up Don. That is a good looking shavette. Great reads and videos (except for the blood letting).

I would not describe it as fresh clean citrus. It's a musty orange if you will. Heavy on the orange and equal on the earthieness.

I've never understood the "dirt" part of this. To me, cedar is the dominating note. The Fine version is an excellent effort at duplicating the scent of Terre d'Hermes, so if you're near a department store, or a Sephora, sample the TdH and you'll know what the Fine smells like.

I've never understood the "dirt" part of this. To me, cedar is the dominating note. The Fine version is an excellent effort at duplicating the scent of Terre d'Hermes, so if you're near a department store, or a Sephora, sample the TdH and you'll know what the Fine smells like.

You know...now that you mention it...it does smell like cedar. I had never even thought about cedar being the earthy component to it...but it makes sense. We have a Sephora here, but oh man...that means I need to go to the mall...
1f61e.png
. But nonetheless...I will definitely go to the source. Thanks Chris.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Personna Blue (2nd Use)
Soap/cream: Sudsy Soapery Uplift
Brush: Rudy Vey Shavmac Two Band Silver Tip Badger
The Antepenultimate Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave : Osage Rub
The Ultimate Aftersahve: Fine - L'Orange Noir

Keeping this one short guys...trying to get caught up on the journals and other readings!

Went with the same setup as yesterday...wanting to dial the SS Uplift in. First of all...I am really digging this Personna Blue Blade. This was a blade that I used early on in my wet shaving life, but never revisited it. From what I understand...they are made in the good old US of A...so there's that...you know..."Murica! Or at least that's how the rednecks say it here...Actually I can't confirm that as I am just stereotyping and while I have redneck tendencies from time to time (hold my beer and watch this)...I am definitely not a redneck. I'll leave it to the expert to comment on that...(WARNING...CHEAP SHOT COMMENT ABOUT TO BEGIN!)...Craig...you know what I mean...right? I mean you are from Alabama?
1f61c.png
Back to the shave. The only thing I did different today is changed aftershaves and I bowl lathered. The funny thing is...I didn't get the full quality of moisturizing on my face as if I would have face lathered. This makes sense to me as when you face lather...the soap sits on your face quite a bit longer. I mean the stuff is still good...but the post shave feel isn't what it was yesterday. And this is why I face lather! Otherwise...the soap lathered as I expected. Just a really great lather!

THE DANGER ZONE!!!

I was going to do a video last night but after a bike ride...doing the dishes...feeding the dogs...and other household chores...it was getting a little late. And this happened...

Wife: Hey Don! You want to watch the new Super Troopers Movie?

Don: What?! (Stunned in amazement)

Wife: Super Troopers 2? You want to watch it tonight?

Me: Of Course I do! Were is that remote? I can't find the remote! I CAN'T FIND THE REMOTE!!!

So my wife and I, while we watch the same movies together...we have different tastes. Well we used to have the same movie interests. But I have found that as the years have passed I don't want to watch heart wrenching dramas anymore...or at least fewer of them. It's not that I can't appreciate them...because I do. But I have seen too many horrible things in the world...I don't want to revisit them for entertainment purposes. Anyway...needless to say...Super Troopers isn't usually on the list. I am a huge fan of the First one...and while number two isn't quite as good...I still laughed my rear end off...and so did the wife. If took anything away from that movie...it's that Linda Carter is still SMOKING HOT!!! Man I am getting old.

I concur about ST2. I was really hoping it would be better than it was. I was pretty let down by it. It was decent, just not great like the first one.

Good shave Don! Glad you had a relaxing, enjoyable evening with the missus after the chores.

dangerousdon said:
I'll leave it to the expert to comment on that...(WARNING...CHEAP SHOT COMMENT ABOUT TO BEGIN!)...Craig...you know what I mean...right? I mean you are from Alabama?
According to this map you qualify Don!

Back