The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Danger, what a couple of weeks at work! I have had 2 civ supervisors that have said to me crazy stuff… telling me that they understand the worklife balance of a parent of young kids because.. get this!!

1) one is a godmother
2) the other has a dog

both very nice but oh so delusional about what it takes to have babies and toddlers… forget what happens when those kids are preteens and teens.

merry xmas!

Merry Christmas Don!

Merry Christmas Don!

Danger, what a couple of weeks at work! I have had 2 civ supervisors that have said to me crazy stuff… telling me that they understand the worklife balance of a parent of young kids because.. get this!!

1) one is a godmother
2) the other has a dog

both very nice but oh so delusional about what it takes to have babies and toddlers… forget what happens when those kids are preteens and teens.

merry xmas!
Thank you very much guys! Today was super busy for me but very enjoyable. Last Christmas Danger Baby was only two months old, so while a lovely Christmas, we didn't get a whole lot of the opening of gifts with her. This year was exciting. Danger Baby still isn't much for opening the gifts...but she was a joy to watch playing with all her toys! I can't wait for next year still!

I haven't been able to comment much today, but I have been on a good bit reading the exchange thread. I just want to say, thank you so much guys for the wonderful wishes and I hope your Christmas was filled with as much joy as mine was!

Pics below...Danger Baby and Danger hound had to fight it out for the new dog bed. Oh, and yeah...she decided that today was a no pants day...she is so her daddy's daughter.

1640488078607.png1640488155977.png1640488190737.png1640488260066.png

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Astra (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Saponificio Varesino - Felce Aromatica
Brush: Sorrentino Brushworks - TSC 2nd Anniversary in Timberwolf Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: CBL Unscented Aftershave Tonic

Now that the holidays are officially over and I have had my fill of Hot Apple Cider by Stirling Soap Company, I decided to start off the New Year of shaves by working through the Saponificio Varesino samples that @BarberDave most graciously provided. Today's scent is Felce Aromatica. Since Dave gave us enough of a sample to shave with for several shaves...I will go ahead and shave with each sample for about a week.

I went ahead and smooshed the sample into a shave bowl and loaded from it. I face lathered which is my usual custom. I was heavy on the beard today so I completed a three pass shave. I have to say that this soap is much easier to lather than I previously gave it credit. I am not going to say much in the way of how it performs. I want to get a few more shaves with it before I do that. But I have to say that the scent is really nice. It is strong off the soap to the point I'm not sure you need any kind of aftershave or EdP for fragrance value. Even now, hours after the shave, I can still smell some of the soap on me. It's nice...really nice. I pick up some green to the scent. Not too much...but enough. And the combination of other scents that I can't quite make out yet come out as fresh. Yeah, the scent is really nice.

I finished off my shave with some CBL Unscented Aftershave Tonic. I am about at the end of this bottle so a re-order is in order.

The Danger Zone

My days have been good ones despite some recent losses. The wife's parent's dog, a sweet little dachshund named Chazz, got into some Chocolate and passed away. The in-laws took him to an emergency vet clinic and they were able to keep him going for a couple of days...but it was just too much toxicity for the little guy to handle. He was a really friendly guy that loved me...and I him. Sorry for the sad stuff.

Danger Baby is full on walking and now keeping up with here is showing how old I really am. That kid is amazing, but seriously...this would have been a lot easier 15 - 20 years ago.

I felt a bit like a real man yesterday. About a week ago the AC in my truck went out. Thankfully it's not summer, but it was still inconvenient for me. Anyway, got a new blower motor in and changed it out yesterday. Yup...I am feeling pretty good about myself!

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful day!

Our little guy had us worried by not truly walking until around 17 months but now is a non-stop running machine at 20 months. Pediatrician kept telling us not to worry but it's hard not to as a parent! Trying to keep up with them once mobile is an exhausting endeavor no doubt!!

Our little guy had us worried by not truly walking until around 17 months but now is a non-stop running machine at 20 months. Pediatrician kept telling us not to worry but it's hard not to as a parent! Trying to keep up with them once mobile is an exhausting endeavor no doubt!!
I am learning that kids are going to do things on their own schedule. It doesn't mean they are a slow learner or anything is wrong...it's just how they develop! But yeah...as a parent we are always wondering!

One of my good friends and his wife had triplets last year - no IVF, no family history, just one of those acts of God. And after dealing with one, I cannot fathom doing those first months with multiples. You all are strong parents!!
They can be trying at times...And Thanks..

Razor: Schick Injector (Type J...I think?)
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Drug Store Schick Injector Blade and Not sure what's in the Merkur...Ladas maybe?
Soap/Cream: CBL Balsamic Oud
Brush: Tech Hive Beehive Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: CBL Unscented Aftershave Tonic

03212022.jpeg

Yup...once again it has been way too long since I have posted here. I won't get into why I have neglected my fans an followers :p, but I am hopping to make more regular appearances. To be honest I have been a bit lazy in my shaving and only getting in one to two shaves per week. I know, sacrilegious, right? But I am hoping to fix that aspect of my life as well.

Today's shave is brought to you by the letters C...B...and the letter L. Was rummaging through the closet and decided to pick a soap that I haven't used in a while and might want to finish off on account that I don't have that much left in it. Balsamic Oud fit the bill. Did a two passer and I am ready for a relatively leisurely day. A splash of the best feeling aftershave in the world...CBL After Shave Tonic. Yup...I am almost out of this bottle...and I am surprised it took me this long...so I will need to reorder soon.

The Danger Zone

Taking the day off of work today. A week ago the wife and I were getting ready to take the baby to a birthday party for a friend of ours and while she was brushing her teeth (the wife not the baby), she broke a tooth that had a root canal and crown done to it about five years ago. There is little left of the surface tooth. So this morning I get to take the wife to the oral surgeon to get what is left extracted. We have dental insurance so the extraction won't be all that much. But what really sucks is that she just had a root canal a couple of weeks ago. So the benefits are definitely running out for this year. As a side note...I still don't understand why stuff like this that is absolutely medically necessary, isn't covered by medical insurance. Okay, back to the regular scheduled programming. So wife is getting the tooth extracted. It will be a game time decision if she wants to get an implant or not. If she wants an implant, then today they will need to a bone graph. Then down the road they will add a post. And then further down the road she will get the actual implant. For a complete total of $5,500 to $6,500 (depending on if she needs something done to a sinus bone. Since the tooth being extracted is the last molar on the bottom, both the dentist and the oral surgeon both recommended getting the tooth removed and not worrying about the implant. We will see what she decides. As the supporting husband...I told her to do what would make her feel the best. For my revenge...I might be overplaying the following joke:

"What time do you go to the dentist?"

"Tooth Hurty"

Yeah...she no longer appreciates my humor.

In other news...a couple of weeks ago we say on the baby monitor, Danger Baby trying to climb out of her crib. The wife and I decided that it was time to convert the crib to a toddler bed. That in itself is a source of anxiety for mama, but the deed is done. It also affords us the opportunity to catch moments like these:

Toddler Bed.jpeg

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful day!

Back