The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I assume jobs like yours are so driven by chain of command that someone like yourself couldn’t call said higher ups and ask “hey, you see what’s happening here?”

I really thought that my assessment of Danger Baby being a tetradactyl was misguided. Then yesterday, Danger Baby started screeching again. Yup, I am certain she is a pre-historic beast. All joking aside. Man this little one is so much of my life right now. I know you fathers understand this. But she is doing things at alarming speeds. She is just amazing. Gratuitous Baby pic below.
Parenthood has been, and continues to be, the most satisfying experience of my life. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. Enjoy!

I assume jobs like yours are so driven by chain of command that someone like yourself couldn’t call said higher ups and ask “hey, you see what’s happening here?”
Actually, that is always an option. And in most places, a mechanism that actually works. I won't get into every detail, but we have seen time and time again with this guy that in the past, someone would file a complaint, informal and formal complaints. To our agency head and to civil service. And he would be reprimanded. Mostly a slap across the wrist. But nothing serious was ever done. The problem here is that with this particular individual that type of behavior actually empowered him. He felt untouchable. To make matters worse, he was very retaliatory in nature. Most of which went up to a line. Sometimes he would cross the line. But rarely anything would happen and if it did, it wasn't anything significant. This time is different, and while I do expect that he is gone for good here, it's not official...and we have all seen him get away with a lot. The biggest issue I see here is our management from the top. Their inability to recognize what was going on and their inability to do anything really makes for a bad work environment. Hostile and Toxic are what I would use to describe it. Mind you, this agency only has about 40 people in it.

Since the supervisor has been away, the stress levels have been significantly lower. But I am not holding my breath on anything until I see some real change.

Razor: Schick Injector
Blade: Schick Injector Blade (No idea how many shaves on it)
Soap/Cream: Sudsy Soapery - Jack Frost
Brush: Stirling Soap Co. - 24mm Fan in Finest Badger
The Penultimate Aftershave: CBL Unscented Aftershave Tonic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Chiseled Face - Cedar & Spice

And Back to our regularly scheduled format...🤪

View attachment 69956

The Shave -

I have told the story before, and looks like I will tell you all it again. But I got this tub of soap from Sudsy Soapery what seems like a million years ago, but with I think was circa B9...maybe earlier. Anyway, I purchased it on one of there Holiday sales for a penny. Okay, a penny and shipping and handling, but you get the idea. It has a very pleasing scent to me around this time of year...Siberian fir needle, orange, spice, and some menthol. I love this scent. But it seems that coniferous smelling soaps (cedar aside) do not seem as popular. But I make do...I usually go with an Orange Dirt type scent or in today's case Chiseled Face Cedar and Spice. I feel like lit is a very festive shave. I only have a bit of this soap left, so I am taking a hiatus from the Stirling Hot Apple Cider. But my goal is to finally get rid of it this month.

I haven't shaves in almost a week, just one of those things. So I pulled out the Injector. It's one of the no frills version. But I have to say, this razor has to be the most efficient razor in the den. If I wanted to...I could just have a once pass WtG shave, and I believe that would be sufficient. The downside to being a super efficient shaver is that it can be a lethal razor as well. Luckily for me...this wasn't the case. Two passes...north to south then south to north. A couple minor areas of cleanup and my shave is as good as most and better than some.

I have been forgoing witch hazel altogether as of late. And I essentially put on two aftershaves. My first and base aftershave is always (since @CBLSoap.com @CBLindsay has come out with one) the CBL Unscented Aftershave Tonic. This is my go to aftershave always! The tonic has this mystifying ability to make any skin deficiency (scrapes, burns, etc.) just go away. Just before I go to work I will splash on the Cedar & Spice, for additional aftershave benefits...and for you know...the people in the elevator. Since mask wearing is at a minimum...I know the unsuspecting riders of the contraption that rises and lowers will be in for a treat...nay...they will be in for a blessing today. Yes...several glugs of the aftershave in a cupped hand with the scented liquid running over the sides. They will be in for a religious experience!

Like I said...two passes and I am good to go for the day!

The Danger Zone -

I have to admit...with all this cookie making and fruitcake baking I have packed on a few pounds. If you don't know what I am talking about...check out these threads...

Anyway...I have a plan once all the temptation has been rid (after Christmas obviously).

I really thought that my assessment of Danger Baby being a tetradactyl was misguided. Then yesterday, Danger Baby started screeching again. Yup, I am certain she is a pre-historic beast. All joking aside. Man this little one is so much of my life right now. I know you fathers understand this. But she is doing things at alarming speeds. She is just amazing. Gratuitous Baby pic below.

The drama at work continuous to go full steam ahead. The people who run the show still are refusing to do really acknowledge anything is going on and what is rest of our section is still baffled and left in the dark. I say what is left of our section, because if you haven't read previous posts here is the brief rundown. The supervisor of my section has been committing some really bad stuff for a really long time. Most of which he doesn't even realize is wrong. Of some of the violations are sexual harassment. Anyway, there is finally an investigation. But since, two of my coworkers have quit. One coworker's last day is just before Christmas, and another is just awaiting some formalities before she leaves. In a section of six people, that means there will be two of us left. As Ozzy puts it "I'm going off the rails on a crazy train."

Okay...enough Danger Zone for the day. Seriously though...checkout the cookie thread and the fruitcake thread and add your own pics and comments!

Have a happy and wonderful day Cadre!

View attachment 69957
Great update Don, sans the continuing work hang up of course. This one shave a week thing however…😵😜

Special Edition of the Danger Zone!!!

My section had a spur of the moment meeting with the person that runs our agency. She explained to us that our supervisor went ahead and put in his notice of retirement today. He will still be on the books until the end of the month, but he will no longer be in the office.

Happy 1.gifHappy 2.gifHappy 3.gif happy 4.gifHappy 5.gif

Don, I'm thankful that the dust is beginning to settle at work. Hopefully, your ex-manager will figure some things out and find peace in his retirement.

I was blessed to have a great career with a good company. Along the way, I sometimes struggled and got too caught up in things. Fortunately, I had good mentors that helped me. I'd like to think that I learned about myself and others and managed to do some good. Looking back, it almost seems like a game with an ever-growing/ever-changing list of rules and expectations, situations that frequently boiled down to "us vs. them" and winning/losing. I miss the people but not the game. I also miss the free coffee. :LOL:

Hopefully, you'll be able to reflect on your recent work experiences and find areas where you've grown and learned about yourself. Since we can't avoid tough situations, we might as well try to learn from them.

Your journal rocks. I love, love, love the Danger Baby updates! Keep 'em coming! (The fruitcakes ain't bad, either. :))

Don, I'm thankful that the dust is beginning to settle at work. Hopefully, your ex-manager will figure some things out and find peace in his retirement.

I was blessed to have a great career with a good company. Along the way, I sometimes struggled and got too caught up in things. Fortunately, I had good mentors that helped me. I'd like to think that I learned about myself and others and managed to do some good. Looking back, it almost seems like a game with an ever-growing/ever-changing list of rules and expectations, situations that frequently boiled down to "us vs. them" and winning/losing. I miss the people but not the game. I also miss the free coffee. :LOL:

Hopefully, you'll be able to reflect on your recent work experiences and find areas where you've grown and learned about yourself. Since we can't avoid tough situations, we might as well try to learn from them.

Your journal rocks. I love, love, love the Danger Baby updates! Keep 'em coming! (The fruitcakes ain't bad, either. :))
Thank you for your thoughts. I know in every situation there are always two sides to the coin. Believe me, I could have gone into more of what my former manager had done...but I did not. I really do try to learn from every position I have been in and from every supervisor/manager I have ever had. I like to take good practices from people I respect and implement them in my overall managerial philosophies. I also like to learn from the bad experiences and make sure I never treat my people like that in any way. I am a firm believer in many things...namely that a good leader puts his people in the best position to succeed. A good leader learns how to motivate his people and that not everyone is motivated in the same way. A good leader steps in to get dirty when his people need some help. A good leader does not shy away from responsibility...even if he flubs it all up. In every position that I have been in in which I managed, I didn't always see eye to eye with those under me, but in the end we respected each other. It's hard to be a leader if your people don't respect you.

Sorry...kind of went off there. There will be more Danger Baby Updates soon!
So Don when do you get promoted to supervisor?

Also your daughter has really gotten big! And I know its obligatory but yea you are in trouble as you get older.
I would love to be put in that position. I KNOW I would do a great job. And when the time comes...I will apply for it. But I really don't see my agency hiring me into it. I won't go into the details. Just know I don't really fit what they are looking for.

And yeah...I understand I am in a lot of trouble!
He’s not the boss of me! Although….I picture an office like Mad Men.
Dave...no one can be your boss. You are the master of your own domain!

But while the entire office wasn't run that way...the attitude of my now former supervisor is straight out of Mad Men. Actually, one of my coworkers made the comment that he was directly plucked right out of the 80s. (I know Mad Men wasn't from the 80s...this girl is a bit younger than I am).

Thank you all for the comments!

I really do try to learn from every position I have been in and from every supervisor/manager I have ever had. I like to take good practices from people I respect and implement them in my overall managerial philosophies. I also like to learn from the bad experiences and make sure I never treat my people like that in any way. I am a firm believer in many things...namely that a good leader puts his people in the best position to succeed. A good leader learns how to motivate his people and that not everyone is motivated in the same way. A good leader steps in to get dirty when his people need some help. A good leader does not shy away from responsibility...even if he flubs it all up. In every position that I have been in in which I managed, I didn't always see eye to eye with those under me, but in the end we respected each other. It's hard to be a leader if your people don't respect you.
Agreed. Wise perspective. We're all works-in-progress.

I'm a student of John Maxwell's leadership principles. He has a lot to say about trust and respect. Entering the Construction Zone

Thought I would post a couple of pictures of Danger Baby and Santa today...

1640103209394.png
1640103223494-png.70804

Attachments

• 1640103223494.png
    1640103223494.png
    723.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back