The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I was going to say that after paying that much - you may be able to guilt your better half into letter you get more shave gear - but for what you are paying - you might have to sell your shave gear to pay for it 😮

Here’s hoping your wife isn‘s in much pain and they can take care of it quickly!

Re: Tooth... molar? Just pull it.
So there isn't enough left on top to pull. It has to be surgically removed.
I was going to say that after paying that much - you may be able to guilt your better half into letter you get more shave gear - but for what you are paying - you might have to sell your shave gear to pay for it 😮

Here’s hoping your wife isn‘s in much pain and they can take care of it quickly!
I think she is leaning towards just the extraction. Which makes me happy. After the insurance our part will be about $300...which is totally doable!

Man, wallop of an update! Glad your missus is able to have the procedures she wants done…at the same time…ouch! 💵😭

Crazy to see how big Danger Baby has gotten! How time flies!

Great update. Just for the record, I have a big dislike for dentistry insurance and the high prices charged for things like crowns. I feel like they over-drill on purpose sometimes just knowing when that filling falls out they'll tell you there's no choice but to do a crown. I tell them to just fill it again. They make you feel bad for not doing the "right" thing yet it's the price of these services that keeps you from doing it. I can get an artifact arrowhead restored to look like nothing ever happened and it costs less than $100 for a professional to match the color (use the same resins) match the flaking pattern, and ship it back out. Why the heck should it cost $1,200 for essentially the same service on a tiny tooth? Sorry to hijack with a rant. Sadly, I just have them pull it if they can't fill it and I have good dental insurance too.

Now the fun starts with Danger Toddler being free to roam. Time to play whack a mole at bed time. You put them to bed, close the door, and POP! you see them right back out...........wash, dry and repeat until two tired parents contemplate just what form of punishment will be appropriate enough to stop the cycle :LOL: It won't last long though. Because we have twins, we had a pole vaulter and one who was too scared to scale out. Oh.......and then there's the CLUNK! when you hear them roll out of bed because they are used to having a rail up there :LOL:

Hard to believe the little one is ready for a toddler bed, seems like yesterday we were waiting for her to be born.
Pro DAD trick put a baby gate across the door opening (on the outside, so you can easily shut her door) so when she gets out of bed she can't get out of the room. She will cry, throw toys over the gate and and throw a tantrum but she will eventually fall asleep (most likely in front of the door). Your first goal has to be just getting her to fall asleep alone in her room, THEN you work on getting her to fall asleep in the bed. The down side of this little trick is that she will likely destroy her room in the process, making it necessary to clean up everyday. Good news, you get to "train" her to pick up her room too. Another thing we did was limit the number of bottles for bed time, give one when you put her down and no more (the bottle is going over the fence anyway). Fun stuff.

Now the fun starts with Danger Toddler being free to roam. Time to play whack a mole at bed time. You put them to bed, close the door, and POP! you see them right back out...........wash, dry and repeat until two tired parents contemplate just what form of punishment will be appropriate enough to stop the cycle :LOL: It won't last long though. Because we have twins, we had a pole vaulter and one who was too scared to scale out. Oh.......and then there's the CLUNK! when you hear them roll out of bed because they are used to having a rail up there :LOL:

Hard to believe the little one is ready for a toddler bed, seems like yesterday we were waiting for her to be born.
Pro DAD trick put a baby gate across the door opening (on the outside, so you can easily shut her door) so when she gets out of bed she can't get out of the room. She will cry, throw toys over the gate and and throw a tantrum but she will eventually fall asleep (most likely in front of the door). Your first goal has to be just getting her to fall asleep alone in her room, THEN you work on getting her to fall asleep in the bed. The down side of this little trick is that she will likely destroy her room in the process, making it necessary to clean up everyday. Good news, you get to "train" her to pick up her room too. Another thing we did was limit the number of bottles for bed time, give one when you put her down and no more (the bottle is going over the fence anyway). Fun stuff.
Thanks guys for the advice. As far as the "clunk" part...I have four words...memory foam dog bed. So...the now converted toddler bed is relatively low to the ground. We have a memory foam dog bed that slides just under the bed. When we put Danger Baby down we pull out the dog bed. If she does roll off, she isn't going far and there is a soft landing. So far rolling out of the bed isn't an issue. She does get up in the middle of the night and find a place on the floor (usually behind the rocker) and rocks herself to sleep. I just saw the irony in that statement.

As far as the door goes, right now we close the door. We are with her in the room (usually getting our snuggles in) until she falls asleep. She can't open the door by herself (yet), so right now all is well. Yeah, I know we probably don't do everything the way the experts say. And snuggling her until she falls asleep will probably bite us in the ass one day. But I am only going to have one daughter...one child...and if I have to pay a price later on to enjoy every moment I can with her now...I will gladly pay the piper.

Amelie is completely off the bottle. She eats her last meal around 5 - 5:30 PM. We let her have water from then on and just before we turnoff the lights, we let her have a final sip. So far...so good. We are about ready to start potty training though...so who knows what that adventure will bring.

Great update. Just for the record, I have a big dislike for dentistry insurance and the high prices charged for things like crowns. I feel like they over-drill on purpose sometimes just knowing when that filling falls out they'll tell you there's no choice but to do a crown. I tell them to just fill it again. They make you feel bad for not doing the "right" thing yet it's the price of these services that keeps you from doing it. I can get an artifact arrowhead restored to look like nothing ever happened and it costs less than $100 for a professional to match the color (use the same resins) match the flaking pattern, and ship it back out. Why the heck should it cost $1,200 for essentially the same service on a tiny tooth? Sorry to hijack with a rant. Sadly, I just have them pull it if they can't fill it and I have good dental insurance too.
Rant away my brother! No issues with what you said here. By the way. The wife took the $250 option. The oral surgeon ended up taking the remaining tooth out in three pieces.

Thanks guys for the advice. As far as the "clunk" part...I have four words...memory foam dog bed. So...the now converted toddler bed is relatively low to the ground. We have a memory foam dog bed that slides just under the bed. When we put Danger Baby down we pull out the dog bed. If she does roll off, she isn't going far and there is a soft landing. So far rolling out of the bed isn't an issue. She does get up in the middle of the night and find a place on the floor (usually behind the rocker) and rocks herself to sleep. I just saw the irony in that statement.

As far as the door goes, right now we close the door. We are with her in the room (usually getting our snuggles in) until she falls asleep. She can't open the door by herself (yet), so right now all is well. Yeah, I know we probably don't do everything the way the experts say. And snuggling her until she falls asleep will probably bite us in the ass one day. But I am only going to have one daughter...one child...and if I have to pay a price later on to enjoy every moment I can with her now...I will gladly pay the piper.

Amelie is completely off the bottle. She eats her last meal around 5 - 5:30 PM. We let her have water from then on and just before we turnoff the lights, we let her have a final sip. So far...so good. We are about ready to start potty training though...so who knows what that adventure will bring.
Nathan is 4.5 and we still like to go in and read books and snuggle before we head off to bed. I don't care what anyone says, he's going to be out of this stage before we know it and I'd rather get those hugs and cuddles in now, before he's a grumpy teenager.

You do you Don! :)

Nathan is 4.5 and we still like to go in and read books and snuggle before we head off to bed. I don't care what anyone says, he's going to be out of this stage before we know it and I'd rather get those hugs and cuddles in now, before he's a grumpy teenager.

Jjay my oldest is 14 and I still get to go in and lay back and read to / with him.. Its all comic books now (sonic ) and we started from the 1st issue and are still going. He expects us to finish up completely with the sonic series (except latest issues ) sometime during his college years !! !! Of course he also sometimes just wants me to see some funny video on you-tube but that's okay too because I at least still get to have time with him....

Jjay my oldest is 14 and I still get to go in and lay back and read to / with him.. Its all comic books now (sonic ) and we started from the 1st issue and are still going. He expects us to finish up completely with the sonic series (except latest issues ) sometime during his college years !! !! Of course he also sometimes just wants me to see some funny video on you-tube but that's okay too because I at least still get to have time with him....
Thanks guys! I know I am new to this fatherhood thing...but Amelie seems to be growing up way to fast.

Thanks guys! I know I am new to this fatherhood thing...but Amelie seems to be growing up way to fast.
You are blessed my friend. My only begotten turned 22 about a month ago. I had the honor of marrying him off to a lovely young lady this past Summer. And he bought the house next door to us almost two years ago.... I was 38 when he came along. My wife the English teacher homeskooled him. Of course he'll grow up to be antisocial, lol.

He graduated with an Associate's degree at 19. He's making more money than I did when I was forced into retirement.

I say all that to say this: every single night until he was 5 ish I (usually) or my lovely War Department rocked him, read to him, prayed with him....then I turned on the ancient Sony CD player with "Bach on Wood" playing.... I have no idea if that's why he can do math in his head that is beyond trig, but it didn't hurt him any.

God has placed His child on loan to you into your home. My baby is a head taller than me and I swear to you: I am almost 60, but I must be a time traveler, because these years flew by. CHERISH these days. And don't let ANYONE, even a well meaning old man like me tell you how to love that precious little one that He has entrusted into your care.

You are richer than probably anyone you know my friend.

You are blessed my friend. My only begotten turned 22 about a month ago. I had the honor of marrying him off to a lovely young lady this past Summer. And he bought the house next door to us almost two years ago.... I was 38 when he came along. My wife the English teacher homeskooled him. Of course he'll grow up to be antisocial, lol.

He graduated with an Associate's degree at 19. He's making more money than I did when I was forced into retirement.

I say all that to say this: every single night until he was 5 ish I (usually) or my lovely War Department rocked him, read to him, prayed with him....then I turned on the ancient Sony CD player with "Bach on Wood" playing.... I have no idea if that's why he can do math in his head that is beyond trig, but it didn't hurt him any.

God has placed His child on loan to you into your home. My baby is a head taller than me and I swear to you: I am almost 60, but I must be a time traveler, because these years flew by. CHERISH these days. And don't let ANYONE, even a well meaning old man like me tell you how to love that precious little one that He has entrusted into your care.

You are richer than probably anyone you know my friend.
Thank you so much for your kind words. They really do mean a lot to me. And every night I thank God for entrusting my beautiful daughter to me. For choosing me to be her father. I pray for her plenty, mostly to grow up a strong independent woman who is kind and can navigate the ways of the world to be a leader, but to be humble as well. Then I pray a whole lot for myself to know how to be a father. Thanks again my friend...your words mean a lot.

Wow! Last time I posted here it was well over a year and a half ago! I know I had that other thread running along on a crutch, but it's been a while on there as well. I feel like the world is turning faster than it was before. And when my life tends to spin fast, my friends are usually the ones that get limited. It's one area of my life that I never mastered. So maybe I need to get my friends involved in my life again. Can't promise I will post here everyday. It's not likely. But I will make an effort to post here a couple times a week.

Not sure really what to update. I have grown accustomed to my beard. I like it...my wife likes it. And When Mrs. Danger likes something...it usually stays. Yet still, I trim and shave my neckline. Currently, I am trying to finish up my tub of Oatmeal Stout by CBL.

Danger Baby is currently three years old. I have no idea where the time has gone either. We decided to put her in pre-school this year. Our church has a pre-school and it is really convenient to take her there. So she was there for a couple of weeks, but we had a pretty serious issue with the teacher and administration. I won't go into all the details, but we took her out. We found another pre-school that seemed to fit our needs better. Danger Baby had a bit of a speech delay, so she has been attending speech therapy. The preschool she goes to now, has speech therapists on staff and she get her therapy in conjunction with pre-school. It is a really amazing set up. It is not cheep, but we do for the ones we love.

Up until October I was an Ethics Investigator, investigating public servants of state ethics laws. It was a pretty interesting job, but I was a bit topped out, and there was no room for advancement. So, in October I started working for State of Louisiana Medicaid working in the Transportation division and eventually running their Non-Emergency Ambulance Program. I can honestly say...that this is the most involved and fast paced job I have ever had. And I am trying to learn the nuances of Medicaid since I don't have a background in it. To be quite frank...I took this job more of as a stepping stone...and I just can't see myself in the position for more than a couple of years. BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!!! Back in February I applied (again...but that is another story for another time) for a federal position as an Intelligence Analyst. The process took and is taking FOREVER!!! But at the end of August I was invited to interview. And in September I was notified that I was selected for the position. So...I was sent forms...filled them out and waited. I got fingerprinted....filled them out and waited. Now...I am in the process of completing my Security Clearance. I know this will take a while. So...I know another job is in the works...I am hoping the security clearance investigation goes well and hopefully by the first of the year I am back in a career field I am very familiar with.

Okay...enough for now. The Danger family is taking pics today for our Christmas cards. And the kiddo just got up!

I hope the Cadre and their families stay safe and have a wonderful weekend!

P.S. Here is some late Halloween cuteness. Danger Baby in her MerCat costume. Okay Mercat is Amelie's favorite character from Gabby's Doll House. She saw this mermaid costume and had to have it. So we gave her cat ears to make her into a Mercat.

1699707469160.png1699707510091.png

Sounds like an interesting year and a bit, Don. And Danger Baby is fast becoming Danger Lady!

Last edited:
Back