The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Congrats on the wonderful bloodwork returns, Don! It's always nice when you see the fruits of your (dietary) labors pay off with measurable benefits!!

Great to hear that your blood test results are favorable. Good on ya, Don! Keep up the great work!

Nice video of the Creeper and glad you're enjoying it. Gonna have to drag out my Stirling Orange Chill (Poor Mans Tangerine Creeper) today as your video had me thinking I want some orange now.

Great to hear that your blood test results are favorable. Good on ya, Don! Keep up the great work!
Thanks...I really am trying to get my body and mine in the healthiest state I have been in. I'm not there yet...but still working on it!

Loved the videos yesterday, Don!
Nice video of the Creeper and glad you're enjoying it. Gonna have to drag out my Stirling Orange Chill (Poor Mans Tangerine Creeper) today as your video had me thinking I want some orange now.

Thanks guys, I am happy you all watched and enjoyed. I know it is definitely not the same, but Chiseled Face has a soap called Creamsicle. It doesn't have the cooling effect that Creeper has...or any cooling effect at that...but the scent is in the same wheelhouse and is similar I think. Sadly, I think Ron is out of stock on the stuff though...anyway...just thought I would add.

Good stuff Don. We live in a relatively safe neighborhood also, but when I was traveling on average 2 weeks each month my wife wanted an alarm system. We have had one for a few years. We enjoy it but it did take some getting used to.

Glad to hear the test came back good!

Enjoyed the videos but I still can't quite shake that feeling.
1f601.png

I'm curious about what's causing the audio being out of sync. Since they start in sync. Weird stuff.

Well, it is Don..... I think the recorder hears his ramblings and gets confused.

More like my mumblings. Think I'm actually going to have to cough up some money and buy a video editing software for my computer instead of trying to get away with doing everything on my phone.

More like my mumblings. Think I'm actually going to have to cough up some money and buy a video editing software for my computer instead of trying to get away with doing everything on my phone.

what are you using? I shoot on my iPhone, and edit with iMovie. It’s very basic, and eventually I’ll upgrade to something with more features.

I'm using Filmorago. Same one Chad and a couple others are using. Sorry, I don't use Apple products...moral objection more than anything. It is super easy to use...but I would rather do all this from my laptop anyway. The problem is with video editing on the computer, software can get a little complicated and I have no interest in spending hours upon hours figuring it out. I used to use Windows Movie Maker. But they no longer make or support it anymore and it didn't come with my current computer. Any downloads out there with it are usually infested with malware and adware. I'm likely going to spend the $50 in the next week or two and buy a decent program. The stuff that Dave uses for the Radio program is pretty decent and affordable, so I might give that a try.

Razor #1: Cattey Creations - "Jules" Barbershop Razor (Shavette)
Razor #2: Gillette Slim
Blade: Voskhod (2nd Use)
Soap/cream: The Holy Black - Tangerine Creeper
Brush: Eric Sorrentino Hand Crafted Tuxedo Knot
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: The Holy Black Tangerine Creeper

Couldn't figure out which pic I liked better so I am throwing both of them up. I'm not going to get too much into the shave because I will have a video going up later. I wanted to use my new Cattey Creations Barbershop Razor...or shavette. This was my first time with a shavette and I have limited use with straights! What perfect time to video this and show that I don't know what I am doing! I understand that I need to use a seriously shallow angle with this bad boy...but throwing caution to the wind...I went in hot. I did get my first swipe without cutting myself...but Old man Murphy was laughing in my ear! If I wasn't shooting footage...I would have taken a pic of my battle scars and posted it to that thread we have about these sort of things. I also probably shouldn't have so many variables with this shave, but the Tangerine Creeper was calling me for another use. Glad I did...because really the only good thing about this shave right now is that I feel nice and cool! While the shave was not optimal...it was no fault of the equipment, but rather user error. I the "Jules" can be a great shaver...I just need some practice. I finished up with my slim and kept trying to stop the bleeding. Doused myself in Thayers Coconut Water Formula and then a few ginormous glugs of the creeper

It's going to be a great day!

THE DANGER ZONE:

Can't talk a bunch today as the shave took me longer than expected. First Aid evidently uses up a healthy bit of shave time. Work is going great and so is home life. There are a couple things I wasn't to discuss with the Cadre, but I don't have time right now. I'll get to it eventually. I am loving local sports talk radio right now as everyone is ramping up for College Football. In Atlanta there is the SEC Media days going on. I know Chris @cmh737 isn't an LSU fan or a fan of probably any SEC team...but if he wants to pop on over since he lives in that area and do live reporting...I wouldn't mind at all! Speaking of College Football...I am thinking that Craig and I need to get a Gentleman's Wager going on over the Alabama - LSU Game in November. When the time is right...I...or anyone else...will post a thread specific to College Football. LSU isn't expected to have a great year at all...Vegas has the over/under on win/loss for my tigers at 7 and a half I think. Not good at all. I think we can squeeze a couple more games out and maybe make it to nine...but I think that is our limit we are at right now. But really...nobody really knows right now. New OC, new quarterback, five more analysts, a bunch of players who have very little experience...there is just no telling. But I love my Tigers and I love watching and cheering them on...even if it hasn't been great lately. Now...can't wait until November...Craig!

Oh! Forgot to mention! I got in the mail yesterday my tub of Sudsy Soapery Uplift. It is their new tallow formulation. I am excited to try this as I think even without tallow...it is solidly in Tier 1. Anyway...if there is anyone who wants to try a sample let me know! I will pull some out of the tub before I use it and send it to you!

Don great read. And trust me I am getting the football itch also! 8/4 is officially the beginning of my season. As that will be the annual rules clinic. Two short weeks after that I should be on the field. Oh man I can't wait!

Great picture Don and good luck with the shavette. I've never tried the DE variety and, frankly, they kind of scare me...

Football is closing in fast. I'm always excited for it to arrive, but it's also bittersweet. Here in the Great North, football means that winter is right around the corner...

Great picture Don and good luck with the shavette. I've never tried the DE variety and, frankly, they kind of scare me...

Football is closing in fast. I'm always excited for it to arrive, but it's also bittersweet. Here in the Great North, football means that winter is right around the corner...

I have family who live in your neck of the woods. Most of them are Michigan fans, but my Dad is all Spartan. I really don't mind the Wolverines...I have always enjoyed watching them. But I can't forgive them for losing to USC back in 2003 causing the whole National Champion supposed split with my Tigers!

But yeah...I do understand that when football comes...the "Long Dark Night" is close behind!

Back