The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

January 2, 2021 Shave

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Orion
Brush: TSC Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: A&E Post Shave Serum

This was the first time using this soap. And I have to say that it is wondrously slick! I mean...super-slick! Great post shave feel also. I am reserving judgement for later shaves. But I will say...I used way more water than I ever thought I would. Great shave with a great scent.

January 5, 2021

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (2nd Shave Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: CBL Aftershave Tonic - Roasted Oatmeal Stout

1609851262852.png

Honestly, this shave was more abut the Aftershave Tonic than it really was about the shave itself. Since I had a couple of shaves and then slathers with the Dargon's Pub and Aftershave Tonic...I wanted to test the waters with the Roasted Oatmeal Stout. I didn't have the best shave of my life. For some reason I guess I had the wrong angle or dragged the razor or something. While I came out with a DFS...it just didn't feel all that great. Perfect time for CBL's Aftershave Tonic, which I am already high on (not to be confused with under the influence of). A little of this goes a long way...and after the initial "brisk" feeling of the tonic, it just absorbs right in...leaving the face feeling refreshed. I think there might be a bit more cooling agent in this batch of tonic than the Dragon's Pub. It's not a bad thing at all...just an observations. Either way...this is really good stuff. The scent s spot on with Chris's other iterations of Roasted Oatmeal Stout.

The Danger Zone

Okay, this is more of a gripe than anything. For the most part...I am back to working at home. I go into the office once or twice a week, just depending on the week. Anyway...working from home yesterday, my boss calls me and inquires on the status of a case. I give him the information and then he drops this on me, "I guess you have heard by now that I tested positive for COVID." We exchanged a brief conversation, in which he tells me the virus is kicking his ass. Okay...beyond the thought that I don't wish anyone to get sick from this stuff...

WHAT THE HELL!!!

This is a guy that I would be in his office constantly. He doesn't do anything that is asked to do as far as distancing and mask wearing. And I hear it yesterday from him. I get daily emails about an employee tested positive on such and such floor in the building and the person was last in the building on such and such a day. But I hear NOTHING about my immediate supervisor testing positive. Now, the last I was in the office with him was on December 22nd. The likelihood of me having caught COVID from him is very small. But I have a new born baby in the house and everybody knows it. I am not happy at all.

Okay...enough of that stuff...

I hope the Cadre is moving forward with what I hope is a much better year in 2021. Have a great Day TSC!!!

First off, nice shaves Don! I have Atonget myself some this mystical CBL tonic. Just need to decide on a scent.

I feel your pain with the COVID issue. Our company is following the same procedure as far as saying that “someone tested positive” but not saying who. I’m sure this is due to HIPPA laws and keeping identities private, which I understand. But when you have a situation like a newborn at home, or you’re caring for someone with underlying health issues that may be high risk, or even you yourself are high risk, you need to know if you were in direct contact. We’ve had 3 positive cases at my branch over the last 2 months and each time I had to submit a list of employees that may have had direct contact (within 6ft. or less for 15+ min.) with the individual that tested positive. HR then reaches out to those employees. I’m sure they still aren’t giving out the name of the infected person, but at least they’re letting these employees know that had direct contact with someone.

The CBL tonic is too good honestly!

As to the work situation sorry to hear it happened and went down like that. Luckily you can work from home it seems. Best of luck my friend. I had a really good football referee buddy of mine spend a few nights in the hospital. Covid kicked his butt too. But he's on the other end now and getting better.

January 2, 2021 Shave

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Orion
Brush: TSC Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: A&E Post Shave Serum

This was the first time using this soap. And I have to say that it is wondrously slick! I mean...super-slick! Great post shave feel also. I am reserving judgement for later shaves. But I will say...I used way more water than I ever thought I would. Great shave with a great scent.

January 5, 2021

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (2nd Shave Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: CBL Aftershave Tonic - Roasted Oatmeal Stout

View attachment 44401

Honestly, this shave was more abut the Aftershave Tonic than it really was about the shave itself. Since I had a couple of shaves and then slathers with the Dargon's Pub and Aftershave Tonic...I wanted to test the waters with the Roasted Oatmeal Stout. I didn't have the best shave of my life. For some reason I guess I had the wrong angle or dragged the razor or something. While I came out with a DFS...it just didn't feel all that great. Perfect time for CBL's Aftershave Tonic, which I am already high on (not to be confused with under the influence of). A little of this goes a long way...and after the initial "brisk" feeling of the tonic, it just absorbs right in...leaving the face feeling refreshed. I think there might be a bit more cooling agent in this batch of tonic than the Dragon's Pub. It's not a bad thing at all...just an observations. Either way...this is really good stuff. The scent s spot on with Chris's other iterations of Roasted Oatmeal Stout.

The Danger Zone

Okay, this is more of a gripe than anything. For the most part...I am back to working at home. I go into the office once or twice a week, just depending on the week. Anyway...working from home yesterday, my boss calls me and inquires on the status of a case. I give him the information and then he drops this on me, "I guess you have heard by now that I tested positive for COVID." We exchanged a brief conversation, in which he tells me the virus is kicking his ass. Okay...beyond the thought that I don't wish anyone to get sick from this stuff...

WHAT THE HELL!!!

This is a guy that I would be in his office constantly. He doesn't do anything that is asked to do as far as distancing and mask wearing. And I hear it yesterday from him. I get daily emails about an employee tested positive on such and such floor in the building and the person was last in the building on such and such a day. But I hear NOTHING about my immediate supervisor testing positive. Now, the last I was in the office with him was on December 22nd. The likelihood of me having caught COVID from him is very small. But I have a new born baby in the house and everybody knows it. I am not happy at all.

Okay...enough of that stuff...

I hope the Cadre is moving forward with what I hope is a much better year in 2021. Have a great Day TSC!!!
Had a similat thing happen, the folks we normally spend Saturday Night's playing Dominos with, the husband, got covid late November, isolated, he was feeling better at Christmas, and his brother, part of that group thinking all was ok had a Christmas get together which we normally go to, well the brother had just a "sore throat" and we find out yesterday that his he has it , his wife, and a few others. When invited Sharon and I both, declined and laid low, we certainly missed a bullet on that one. Folks are not thinking, hope all is ok Don

Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable 109 (Black Beauty Circa 1968...I think)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (2rd Shave Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Orion (California Sunrise)
Brush: TSC Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ante-Penultimate Aftershave - Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave - Ariana & Evans - Post Shave Serum No. 3
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - Platinum

1610534706794.png

Okay, this Orion base soap that @CBLSoap.com makes is some really good stuff. I am ALWAYS skeptical of soaps that don't have a tallow...or at least some kind of animal fat base. But whatever Chris does to this soap...it works. This is approximately my third time shaving with Orion and I will have to admit that it took a little learning. First off...this soap is not great for face lathering. You can do it...but it will take a lot of extra work. It is awesome for bowl lathering though. You can whip up a tremendous amount of lather in the bowl. Also, this stuff uses a lot more water than you might expect. I have used a badger brush, a combination badger/boar brush, and a synthetic brush. I really like my badger and badger/boar brushes, but this stuff works better with the synthetic for whatever reason.

I scooped out probably an almond size amount of soap and placed in my Captain's Choice Tempest shave bowl. It is more than I normally would, but on Chris' recommendation I did this. When I wet a brush I usually shake almost all the water out of it. For this shave I left a good bit of water in the brush. Not to the point that brush was dripping, but enough to know that there was water in it. I began to make the lather like I normally would in the bowl. Normally I would add water by a few drops at a time, instead I opted for the slow trickle out of the faucet. I whipped for probably a full minute...maybe longer and I got this super nice shiny lather that went on the face and was super slick! I mean super slick! Three passes with the black beauty at setting five for the first pass and setting three for the remaining two. I ended up with really a no thought 90% BBS shave. Man did it feel good!

Splashed on the witch hazel...did some cleanup around the sink. A couple pumps of the A&E Post Shave Serum No. 3...and continued the clean up. Then a couple of glugs of some Fine Platinum. All is well in the world!

The Danger Zone

Back to work this morning. I mean...actually in the office back to work. I go in today and tomorrow and not sure what the schedule is for us for next week. I am sure I will find out at 4:45 PM on Friday Afternoon as has been the most irritating custom.

Our Governor has decided to keep us in modified Phase II still until February something of the other. We have seen a lot of positive COVID cases lately and an increase in hospitalizations, which I think is pretty par for the course in most states. On this note...the hospital ICU beds are extremely full around here which is making people a little nervous. But according to one of Hospital System leaders (we actually have several hospital systems in my local area) the filling up of ICU beds actually has less to do with 'Rona and more to do with patients putting off medical treatment from last year. Now the Chinese invading virus definitely doesn't help...and if more ICU beds are required because of the virus…well some people are getting nervous. Okay enough of that.

On a VERY positive note. My Father-in-Law is 70 years old. And last week when they announced that his age group was eligible to schedule for the COVID Vaccine, I jump at the opportunity to get him signed up (it was a little weird, most of the locations that were distributing the vaccine were these very small independent pharmacies). Most of the locations required to make the appointment online...and being that the FIL isn't all that tech savvy, I just did it for him. Got him scheduled, and on Friday that old fart got his first shot. He is scheduled to get his second shot already also. So...while I know that there still will be a risk...and the vaccine isn't the end all to be all...I am certainly happy he was able to get his shot!

It's Hump Day! What ever that really means these days. But I really hope that the Cadre has really wonderful day!

Are you sure you used a razor Don? Based on your picture it looks like you just rubbed a lot of stuff that smells good on your face 😂😂😂

My Father-in-Law is 70 years old. And last week when they announced that his age group was eligible to schedule for the COVID Vaccine, I jump at the opportunity to get him signed up

NJ announced their phases of the release for the vaccine and my MIL is the only one that can currently get it because she’s a nurse. My dad and FIL both are high risk due to underlying health conditions (cancer survivors, emphysema, and COPD) and neither of them are eligible until phase 2 I believe.

Are you sure you used a razor Don? Based on your picture it looks like you just rubbed a lot of stuff that smells good on your face 😂😂😂
Yeah..I shaved...but now you give me some good ideas! 🤪

NJ announced their phases of the release for the vaccine and my MIL is the only one that can currently get it because she’s a nurse. My dad and FIL both are high risk due to underlying health conditions (cancer survivors, emphysema, and COPD) and neither of them are eligible until phase 2 I believe.
My FIL is 70 and so barely makes the cut-off. He is the only age group that is in this phase (70 and over). The rest are various forms of Medical Professionals and those that live in assisted living centers.

I just saw yesterday though where Federal HHS revised who is allowed to get vaccinated. They are now allowing those who are 65 and older and some with certain pre-existing conditions. When your state or my state adopts those policies is anyone's guess. But it is coming. Tell you parents to hang in there.

First off...this soap is not great for face lathering. You can do it...but it will take a lot of extra work. It is awesome for bowl lathering though. You can whip up a tremendous amount of lather in the bowl. Also, this stuff uses a lot more water than you might expect.
Interesting to know!

Awesome that your FIL could get the vaccine!

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (4th Shave Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Dragon's Pub
Brush: The Shaving Cadre/Saponificio Varesino Two Band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Brush
The Ante-Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: CBL Apothecary Post Shave Oil - Dragon's Pub
The Ultimate Aftershave: CBL After Shave Tonic - Dragon's Pub

1610628743289.png

This Dragon's Pub is some good stuff. All of it. From the lather to the oil...all of it performs very well. I think the soap is the Fusion formula from Chris...though I could be wrong. Either way it loads and lathers nice and easy. Has all the properties of a shave soap that I like and want too...super slick and super moisturizing. Three passer in all the usual passes. I would have said it was a DFS...but afte the post shave oil and then the After Shave Tonic...I am bumping this up to a DFS+. The tonic is where it is at...I know I raved about it before...but I will rave about it again...I am not sure you can buy a better aftershave product. It's that good.

The Danger Zone

Well...back into the office this morning...again. It's rare anymore that I go into the office two days in a row. But it happened. However, it looks like (unofficially) that I will only be in the office once for the following two weeks. So there is that.

Danger Baby did something the other day that melted my heart. I was making faces at her while the wife was getting the her bath together. And then she busted out in some giggles that lasted for more than a chuckle. Man did it warm my heart.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful day today!

Back