The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable 109 (Black Beauty Circa 1968...I think)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (4th Shave Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Dragon's Pub
Brush: The Shaving Cadre/Saponificio Varesino Two Band High Mountain Manchurian White Badger Brush
The Ante-Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Witch Hazel
The Penultimate Aftershave: CBL Apothecary Post Shave Oil - Dragon's Pub
The Ultimate Aftershave: CBL After Shave Tonic - Dragon's Pub

View attachment 45034

This Dragon's Pub is some good stuff. All of it. From the lather to the oil...all of it performs very well. I think the soap is the Fusion formula from Chris...though I could be wrong. Either way it loads and lathers nice and easy. Has all the properties of a shave soap that I like and want too...super slick and super moisturizing. Three passer in all the usual passes. I would have said it was a DFS...but afte the post shave oil and then the After Shave Tonic...I am bumping this up to a DFS+. The tonic is where it is at...I know I raved about it before...but I will rave about it again...I am not sure you can buy a better aftershave product. It's that good.

The Danger Zone

Well...back into the office this morning...again. It's rare anymore that I go into the office two days in a row. But it happened. However, it looks like (unofficially) that I will only be in the office once for the following two weeks. So there is that.

Danger Baby did something the other day that melted my heart. I was making faces at her while the wife was getting the her bath together. And then she busted out in some giggles that lasted for more than a chuckle. Man did it warm my heart.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful day today!

There is NOTHING better than baby giggles.

The tonic is where it is at...I know I raved about it before...but I will rave about it again...I am not sure you can buy a better aftershave product. It's that good.

You aren't kidding. It really is amazing stuff.

There is NOTHING better than baby giggles.

tenor.gif

The tonic is where it is at...I know I raved about it before...but I will rave about it again...I am not sure you can buy a better aftershave product. It's that good.
I couldn't agree more. It is such a miracle product that I am using it in a rigorously-controlled scientific study. Results should be in soon.

Well, it's been over a month since I last posted here. Things got stupid crazy and honestly, my journal was the last thing that I thought about. In a week or so I will be going back to work full time, so maybe a bit more routine will help me add to the section of the forum a bit more.

Instead of posting a bunch of SOTDs or even the last one...let me just kind of go over the things that I have been using and comment on each of them.

Razors: So I have used two different razors over the last month or so. My Gillette Super Adjustable 107 (Black Beauty) circa 1972...and my modern Merkur Progress Adjustable Razor. My shaves with the Progress (typically my go to) was nut really giving me smooth shaves. So I decided to change it up a bit. I know I am in the minority when I say that I am more inclined to less aggressive to outright mild razors. Sometimes I will use a more aggressive razor or setting to change it up...but it's mostly super mild. Anyway, switched from the Progress to the Super Adjustable (SA) and was getting some very enjoyable, albeit not the closest, but very enjoyable shaves. No hassles...no worries...no blood! After a while, I decided that the SA was okay, but I wanted a closer shave. So back to the Progress and man did I get great shave again! It's just funny how it works like that. Lesson learned....something not going as well? Change it up and then go back to it after a while.

Blades: So I used a few different blades...Feather, Voskhod, Vi-Yut(?), Personna Platinum, and Gillette 7O'clock Super Platinum (Black). Of all these...my favorite is the 7 O'clock Super Platinum. It's sharp and smooth...does the trick...it's some good stuff. I think the one I am using has had about six or seven shaves on it...and it seems like it is still going strong. This is my last one so I will have to get more. I think these are under $20 for 100 of them. If it's more...it's not much more.

Shaving Soap: So I have used three soaps. A Somali Rose sample from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations (@LNHC ) and a couple samples that Chris @CBLindsay Sent me from CBL (@CBLSoap.com ).

First the Somali Rose...Okay now I understand why a lot of people like this scent. It is nice and sophisticated without being overly powerful. But it isn't overly complex either. It's one of those unique scents that you immediately like. At least I did. The soap is Lisa's newest soap version. I have tried just about every version of her soap over the last three three or four years now, and they are all still good and were likely one of the best soap formulations out there at the time. This latest version of her soap well exceeds all of those in performance. It is definitely her best formulation by far! Between the scent and the formulation...this one will find its way into my den...and likely sooner rather than later.

Next, the CBL Soaps...So...don't know how much I really can say about these. Both samples are tallow based soaps and I think one of them is actually going to make it into the market on Chris' site. The first one I tried was really soft...I mean really soft. Chris said that he thinks it was actually the stuff he added for scent that made it soft. Either way, I only needed about a pea sized drop to produce an incredibly slick and wonderful lather. I used both synthetic and natural fiber brushes and had no problem with either of them. This softer soap was easy to load, easy to lather, and a joy to shave with. The scent is very pleasant. The next sample is much more firm. Like a regular puck or tub of soap. Chris said that the scent was supposed to be strong...but I found it very pleasant and mild also. This sample I just smooshed into my Captain's Choice lather bowl and load from that. It will last me a bit since it was a big sample. So like the first sample...easy to load and easy to lather. It's really good stuff. So good in fact, I think I like it better (slightly) than the first sample. It just seems to agree with my face a lot. Post shave feel on this soap is amazing. Both soaps however, I don't think you have to have an aftershave if you don't want. It's that good in the post shave feel. Sadly, I think Chris said that this particular soap will not be available for public consumption. Oh, well, I guess I will enjoy what I have until it is gone. Just for reference...I really like the CBL Orion base a lot...both of these soaps are better.

Brushes: Quick note on the brushes...I have used several over the last month...but the three I used the most were my Graydog brush (thanks again @Graydog ) with a Maggards Badger/Boar Hybrid knot; the TSC/SV Brush in High Mountain Badger; and the Tech-Hive Synthetic brush (thanks @Techichi ). All three are wonderful, but I have to say...man that Tech-Hive Synthetic is a really amazing brush!

Aftershaves: So...I have been prohibited from using anything strongly scented (bummer) by the wife. She says it bother's the baby. I may have lost this battle, but the war still rages! Anyway, I was using a couple of serums and elixirs from A&E and LNHC...I love these, but I needed and unscented aftershave. Good news...CBL had one. Now...I can't say enough good stuff about the CBL After Shave Tonic. Seriously...might be the best aftershave out there. I like it that much. I also received from Chris a sample of a potential new aftershave product. So I have been using both. The sample I received does a great job at toning and then doing all the other stuff you want in an aftershave. But to be honest...I think I like the current version of the After Shave Tonic Better. Makes my face feel amazing!

Okay...with that, I think I have rambled on enough. I will see what I can do to be more present in the journals.

I hoe the Cadre has an absolutely wonderful day!

Great update Don! I agree with your statement about switching things up when all of a sudden they stop working. Sometimes you just need a change of pace to get back to those great shaves.

Going back to work full time a good thing? ...I get it, go to the office to catch a nap eh? Seriously though, from the baby photos I’ve seen you little one looks almost ready to host her own comedy show so you won’t need to work long.

I’ve been in the same boat, not a lot of variety in terms of gear or software. Depending on perspective you could say I’m in a rut ...or a groove. In either case I have been using a simple Kai knock off folding razor with the same feather pro-guard I found in another razor in January with an occasional Gillette red tip or Alibaba unknown I was thinking about retailing. I have a regular straight razor at the ready but that silly knock off is just so easy and quick I say to myself, “just one more time and I’ll toss the blade” but the blade keeps going. I am working on a couple new scents and trying out a few twists on different formulas so I can’t really say what soap or scent I’d using, but when I can I grab the unscented soft soap you mentioned. I started the year thinking I would finish Lisa’s barbershop scented stuff from last year, didn’t make it more than 3 days. Rut or groove?

That puck of soap you like WILL be available for others, I have about 40 three ounce pucks cut and set out to dry. I still think they are wicked strong but maybe it’s just because the scent takes my breath away. I probably should have been more purposeful in how I scented that one because it turned out to be a fantastic soap. It is a ‘fusion’ type formula, I made my original premium wagyu but added goat milk and hemp oil, then dumped in a batch of basic tonsorial, then stirred in a little bit of Orion and cooked the daylights out of it so it would be firm. I finished it with the “CBL apothecary blend” I am using in the softer soap (this was my beta test) and scented crud out of it. I do love the way it performs but I am very tired of the scent. I have another kicked up one-off formula without the apothecary blend in a field lavender scent that will also be available, it is softer and will need to be in a tub. I need to figure out packaging for these things and get them on the website...maybe if I wait long enough I can hire your daughter to do it, she’s growing up fast enough.

Going back to work full time a good thing? ...I get it, go to the office to catch a nap eh? Seriously though, from the baby photos I’ve seen you little one looks almost ready to host her own comedy show so you won’t need to work long.

I’ve been in the same boat, not a lot of variety in terms of gear or software. Depending on perspective you could say I’m in a rut ...or a groove. In either case I have been using a simple Kai knock off folding razor with the same feather pro-guard I found in another razor in January with an occasional Gillette red tip or Alibaba unknown I was thinking about retailing. I have a regular straight razor at the ready but that silly knock off is just so easy and quick I say to myself, “just one more time and I’ll toss the blade” but the blade keeps going. I am working on a couple new scents and trying out a few twists on different formulas so I can’t really say what soap or scent I’d using, but when I can I grab the unscented soft soap you mentioned. I started the year thinking I would finish Lisa’s barbershop scented stuff from last year, didn’t make it more than 3 days. Rut or groove?

That puck of soap you like WILL be available for others, I have about 40 three ounce pucks cut and set out to dry. I still think they are wicked strong but maybe it’s just because the scent takes my breath away. I probably should have been more purposeful in how I scented that one because it turned out to be a fantastic soap. It is a ‘fusion’ type formula, I made my original premium wagyu but added goat milk and hemp oil, then dumped in a batch of basic tonsorial, then stirred in a little bit of Orion and cooked the daylights out of it so it would be firm. I finished it with the “CBL apothecary blend” I am using in the softer soap (this was my beta test) and scented crud out of it. I do love the way it performs but I am very tired of the scent. I have another kicked up one-off formula without the apothecary blend in a field lavender scent that will also be available, it is softer and will need to be in a tub. I need to figure out packaging for these things and get them on the website...maybe if I wait long enough I can hire your daughter to do it, she’s growing up fast enough.
This is all good news! As for the daughter...growing WAY too fast! This was this morning!

1614878117811.png

Well, it's been over a month since I last posted here. Things got stupid crazy and honestly, my journal was the last thing that I thought about. In a week or so I will be going back to work full time, so maybe a bit more routine will help me add to the section of the forum a bit more.

Instead of posting a bunch of SOTDs or even the last one...let me just kind of go over the things that I have been using and comment on each of them.

Razors: So I have used two different razors over the last month or so. My Gillette Super Adjustable 107 (Black Beauty) circa 1972...and my modern Merkur Progress Adjustable Razor. My shaves with the Progress (typically my go to) was nut really giving me smooth shaves. So I decided to change it up a bit. I know I am in the minority when I say that I am more inclined to less aggressive to outright mild razors. Sometimes I will use a more aggressive razor or setting to change it up...but it's mostly super mild. Anyway, switched from the Progress to the Super Adjustable (SA) and was getting some very enjoyable, albeit not the closest, but very enjoyable shaves. No hassles...no worries...no blood! After a while, I decided that the SA was okay, but I wanted a closer shave. So back to the Progress and man did I get great shave again! It's just funny how it works like that. Lesson learned....something not going as well? Change it up and then go back to it after a while.

Blades: So I used a few different blades...Feather, Voskhod, Vi-Yut(?), Personna Platinum, and Gillette 7O'clock Super Platinum (Black). Of all these...my favorite is the 7 O'clock Super Platinum. It's sharp and smooth...does the trick...it's some good stuff. I think the one I am using has had about six or seven shaves on it...and it seems like it is still going strong. This is my last one so I will have to get more. I think these are under $20 for 100 of them. If it's more...it's not much more.

Shaving Soap: So I have used three soaps. A Somali Rose sample from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations (@LNHC ) and a couple samples that Chris @CBLindsay Sent me from CBL (@CBLSoap.com ).

First the Somali Rose...Okay now I understand why a lot of people like this scent. It is nice and sophisticated without being overly powerful. But it isn't overly complex either. It's one of those unique scents that you immediately like. At least I did. The soap is Lisa's newest soap version. I have tried just about every version of her soap over the last three three or four years now, and they are all still good and were likely one of the best soap formulations out there at the time. This latest version of her soap well exceeds all of those in performance. It is definitely her best formulation by far! Between the scent and the formulation...this one will find its way into my den...and likely sooner rather than later.

Next, the CBL Soaps...So...don't know how much I really can say about these. Both samples are tallow based soaps and I think one of them is actually going to make it into the market on Chris' site. The first one I tried was really soft...I mean really soft. Chris said that he thinks it was actually the stuff he added for scent that made it soft. Either way, I only needed about a pea sized drop to produce an incredibly slick and wonderful lather. I used both synthetic and natural fiber brushes and had no problem with either of them. This softer soap was easy to load, easy to lather, and a joy to shave with. The scent is very pleasant. The next sample is much more firm. Like a regular puck or tub of soap. Chris said that the scent was supposed to be strong...but I found it very pleasant and mild also. This sample I just smooshed into my Captain's Choice lather bowl and load from that. It will last me a bit since it was a big sample. So like the first sample...easy to load and easy to lather. It's really good stuff. So good in fact, I think I like it better (slightly) than the first sample. It just seems to agree with my face a lot. Post shave feel on this soap is amazing. Both soaps however, I don't think you have to have an aftershave if you don't want. It's that good in the post shave feel. Sadly, I think Chris said that this particular soap will not be available for public consumption. Oh, well, I guess I will enjoy what I have until it is gone. Just for reference...I really like the CBL Orion base a lot...both of these soaps are better.

Brushes: Quick note on the brushes...I have used several over the last month...but the three I used the most were my Graydog brush (thanks again @Graydog ) with a Maggards Badger/Boar Hybrid knot; the TSC/SV Brush in High Mountain Badger; and the Tech-Hive Synthetic brush (thanks @Techichi ). All three are wonderful, but I have to say...man that Tech-Hive Synthetic is a really amazing brush!

Aftershaves: So...I have been prohibited from using anything strongly scented (bummer) by the wife. She says it bother's the baby. I may have lost this battle, but the war still rages! Anyway, I was using a couple of serums and elixirs from A&E and LNHC...I love these, but I needed and unscented aftershave. Good news...CBL had one. Now...I can't say enough good stuff about the CBL After Shave Tonic. Seriously...might be the best aftershave out there. I like it that much. I also received from Chris a sample of a potential new aftershave product. So I have been using both. The sample I received does a great job at toning and then doing all the other stuff you want in an aftershave. But to be honest...I think I like the current version of the After Shave Tonic Better. Makes my face feel amazing!

Okay...with that, I think I have rambled on enough. I will see what I can do to be more present in the journals.

I hoe the Cadre has an absolutely wonderful day!
I just have one thing to say; Pre-war Tech.

Thanks for all the reads and comments guys!

So just a little story about Danger Baby.

Amelie had one of her wellness visits on Monday to get another round of vaccinations.

We have just started her off on some solid foods (not sure you can really call them solids if they are blended to almost smoothie consistency, but there you are). We have some store bought foods, but most of what we are feeding her is made straight from our kitchen. Butternut Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Carrots, Green Beans, etc. I am a meat eater myself. Like seriously...just through me a few steaks a day and some organ meat (and cheese...I can't live without cheese) and I would live a very happy (and probably healthier) life. Anyway...I have been joking (sort of) with my wife and keep saying that Danger Baby doesn't want all that veggie crap...she wants some protein and that I am going to take a T-Bone or Ribeye and stick it in the blender and feed her that.

Back to the doctor's office...

The pediatrician was oohing and ahh-ing at how healthy Amelie is and how well developed she is. The wife started asking the doc questions about feeding and such. And then she thought it was funny to tell her that I want to feed Danger Baby a steak that's been in the blender. My wife thought that the doc might give a chuckle or even tell her that's not appropriate...but nope. The doc went ahead and said that it is perfectly fine to do that. Just make sure that it isn't chunky so Amelie doesn't choke!

So...this battle has been won. Now...I just need to implement it!

Cute Baby Pic...Feel Free to Caption it...

1614962125165.png

Back