The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (Shave # - Lost count already)
Soap/Cream: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville
Brush: TSC Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville

View attachment 41380

I don't think I have used this soap and aftershave set since last year...maybe early this year...but it's been a while. This set just smells like that time where you can't tell if it is Autumn or Winter. From the soap maker..." deep base of Clove and Pepper, with notes of allspice and oak, as well as top notes of pine and lime." I don't get the lime...but I definitely get everything else. It's just a really good smelling set. I don't know what was up with me this morning...but instead of the usual WtG, XtG, and AtG passes (in that order), I went ahead and did XtG, AtG, and WtG (in that order). I hadn't shaved since Turkey Day so I was a little rough. And so was my shave. It felt like I was ripping each hair follicle out one by one. Was it the order of my passes or was it a blade that was in desperate need of replacing. Who knows. There wasn't any visible seepage of blood...so I guess that is a plus. All in all, the shave turned out pretty good. A healthy glug and splash of the aftershave with the same name...and I smelled good for at least one person on the elevator with me.

The Danger Zone

Seriously...I need a bit more sleep. Not that I am getting horrible sleep...I just wish it was in longer stretches.

Speaking of sleep. Before Danger Baby was born, the wife received a bassinet from her baby shower. The one she put on our registry was a very traditional looking bassinet. The baby hated it. She wouldn't spend more than two minutes in it before crying so hard it made my heart hurt. I will admit, that the mattress wasn't something I would want to lay on either, but I do know you can't have something super soft or plush for these new born babies to sleep on. So...we did a little research and went and looked at some of the more "trendy" bassinets. We came home with a Halo BassiNest Swivel Sleeper.

View attachment 41381View attachment 41382

I was very skeptical about the whole thing. Seriously...one place to lay my head is just as good as another right? Wrong! First off, this thing adjusts to a very high or low height and will fit right over your mattress so baby can get super close to mom. Mesh walls for breathability. Legs fit under bed. But most importantly, the "mattress" is firm, but gives a little and the Danger Baby sleeps soundly in the basinet. Totally worth the money! The wife purchased the Premiere version of it. In retrospect...I would have paid the extra moolah for the Luxe version as the basinet is removable from the stand. That would have made my life so much easier as we now have a Pack'n'play in the middle of our ever shrinking living room. But seriously...I know it was more money that we should have spent...but it is so much better than a crying baby. Now, to figure out what to do with the old basinet.

Also...gratuitous baby pics!

View attachment 41383View attachment 41384View attachment 41386

Absolutely adorable Don. You are blessed, my friend.

Thanks! I have to agree. A strong, healthy, and beautiful little girl!
Seriously, what more could you ask for?!

Well, I guess you could hope she's a genius, too. Then she can send you and the wife on world tours in your retirement with the oodles of cash she'll have as a self made billionaire.

But, you should probably focus on getting her to sleep through the night first. [emoji6]

Hopefully moms genes were dominant in the brain power department Doug and Don.
Genius and Devil Dog are not usually in the same sentence. 😎

Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (Shave # - Lost count already)
Soap/Cream: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville
Brush: TSC Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville

View attachment 41380

I don't think I have used this soap and aftershave set since last year...maybe early this year...but it's been a while. This set just smells like that time where you can't tell if it is Autumn or Winter. From the soap maker..." deep base of Clove and Pepper, with notes of allspice and oak, as well as top notes of pine and lime." I don't get the lime...but I definitely get everything else. It's just a really good smelling set. I don't know what was up with me this morning...but instead of the usual WtG, XtG, and AtG passes (in that order), I went ahead and did XtG, AtG, and WtG (in that order). I hadn't shaved since Turkey Day so I was a little rough. And so was my shave. It felt like I was ripping each hair follicle out one by one. Was it the order of my passes or was it a blade that was in desperate need of replacing. Who knows. There wasn't any visible seepage of blood...so I guess that is a plus. All in all, the shave turned out pretty good. A healthy glug and splash of the aftershave with the same name...and I smelled good for at least one person on the elevator with me.

The Danger Zone

Seriously...I need a bit more sleep. Not that I am getting horrible sleep...I just wish it was in longer stretches.

Speaking of sleep. Before Danger Baby was born, the wife received a bassinet from her baby shower. The one she put on our registry was a very traditional looking bassinet. The baby hated it. She wouldn't spend more than two minutes in it before crying so hard it made my heart hurt. I will admit, that the mattress wasn't something I would want to lay on either, but I do know you can't have something super soft or plush for these new born babies to sleep on. So...we did a little research and went and looked at some of the more "trendy" bassinets. We came home with a Halo BassiNest Swivel Sleeper.

View attachment 41381View attachment 41382

I was very skeptical about the whole thing. Seriously...one place to lay my head is just as good as another right? Wrong! First off, this thing adjusts to a very high or low height and will fit right over your mattress so baby can get super close to mom. Mesh walls for breathability. Legs fit under bed. But most importantly, the "mattress" is firm, but gives a little and the Danger Baby sleeps soundly in the basinet. Totally worth the money! The wife purchased the Premiere version of it. In retrospect...I would have paid the extra moolah for the Luxe version as the basinet is removable from the stand. That would have made my life so much easier as we now have a Pack'n'play in the middle of our ever shrinking living room. But seriously...I know it was more money that we should have spent...but it is so much better than a crying baby. Now, to figure out what to do with the old basinet.

Also...gratuitous baby pics!

View attachment 41383View attachment 41384View attachment 41386
Beautiful

So the sterilizer is one more thing that should help out but actually creates more work.
Way back when, as an undergrad nursing college student, an instructor told us to protect the baby you should "boil your nipples." Being the inquisitive sort, I of course asked, "Doesn't that hurt?" She laughed and advised me to try it and report back to the class.

From Monday, December 6,

Razor: Injector
Blade: Schick Injector Blade (New Blade)
Blade: Voskhod (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Tech Hive Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - Post Shave Elixir - White Mountain

1607514433564.png

From Today...

Razor: Injector
Blade: Schick Injector Blade (2nd Shave)
Blade: Voskhod (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Ariana & Evans - Khalifa
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Ultimate Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur

1607514754425.png

Okay...so I might really like how my face feels after I haven't for a couple of days and then I attack the wiry whiskers with the Injector and then a mild blade. I don't know if I can say 100% BBS...but it certainly is pretty darn close. And if you know anything about me...complete BBS isn't possible...so yeah...I am feeling pretty darn good about my shave! Only bad thing that happened during the morning rituals is that I went in too hot with the injector and caught just a part of my nose. It's on the edge, so it's not entirely unsightly. But there was a lot of blood. Oh well...if that is the worst thing that happens today...then damn I am doing pretty good.

Thanks to KJ @Spider I now have close to a full bottle of my beloved Figaro Monsieur aftershave and I don't have to be as miserly with it. Still though, I need to look for a backup bottle or a suitable substitute. This scent is just too good!

My three pass shave turned into a four pass (a WtG pass with the injector and the the three standard with the Progress), which turned into a five pass (I did an extra XtG because I wasn't paying attention). But came out with awesome results!

The Danger Zone

Still could use a bit more sleep...but I am finally adjusting a bit.

Well...after the Paternity Leave I was back at work full time. Then last week I was in the office three days. This week, I am in the office one day (today). Who knows if I even go in next week.

Danger Baby gets water poured over her head this weekend as the wife and I don't want said Danger Baby to spend eternity in Limbo if something Bad Happens. As one of the owners put it in a conversation we had..."Here's hoping your daughter's baptism is done the old fashioned way and not at sunset with a super soaker from 10 paces."

Hope the Cadre has a really wonderful day today!

Last edited:
Rudolph the red nosed Don-deer? 🤔 Ouch!

Sounds like a good transition getting back to work? I guess it’s limiting external exposure possibilities from outside the family at least.

Congratulations to the family on the baptism!

Back