The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Third time's the charm, you got one more marriage to go!!!
Oh no, I can't afford it!

For warming formula and baby milk, a cheap microwave works well. Just remove that top and nipple, heat a short while, then shake or mix to evenly distribute the heat. I spent many a late hour feeding my boys while rocking in a chair. We kept the microwave and rocker upstairs, and the night's bottles in a cooler.

Oh no, I can't afford it!

For warming formula and baby milk, a cheap microwave works well. Just remove that top and nipple, heat a short while, then shake or mix to evenly distribute the heat. I spent many a late hour feeding my boys while rocking in a chair. We kept the microwave and rocker upstairs, and the night's bottles in a cooler.
Too slow...my baby wants her food NOW!!!

In all seriousness...yeah...it ain't cheap. I know this. And yeah...I could just do it the old fashion way. But I am not about to struggle with making formula if I don't have to. And besides...we didn't buy it.

Expensive or not...this thing is worth it.

Too slow...my baby wants her food NOW!!!

In all seriousness...yeah...it ain't cheap. I know this. And yeah...I could just do it the old fashion way. But I am not about to struggle with making formula if I don't have to. And besides...we didn't buy it.

Expensive or not...this thing is worth it.
There are definitely gimmicky ideas in baby supplies. There are also good ones. Some are expensive making them less worth the cost. If you get it as a gift... Heck yeah!

And I hear ya Don. I'm 44. I would dread doing 2am feedings (again). If you have a way to make it easier, that's gold my friend.

I didn't shave today....yeah I kind of suck.

The Danger Zone

Okay...sterilizers...personally. I think they are completely unnecessary. I mean...just wash the damn bottle with soap and hot water and it should be good...right? That's what I think. But we all know that it ain't up to me. Like I ever thought it was. Nope...the wife has firmly established that anything that goes into the mouth of our child must be sterilized (just don't tell her that I found one of the Danger Hounds sucking on one of the baby's pacifiers and I promptly removed it from the dog's mouth and put it in the baby's...I did pass it under the faucet first).

So...we were given a sterilizer...and I thought it worked pretty well. But then you have to let it dry on the drying rack or hand dry the item, which I think kind of defeats the purpose. So the sterilizer is one more thing that should help out but actually creates more work.

Enter the Papablic Baby Bottle Electric Steam Sterilizer...AND DRYER!!!

1605305552773.png

Yup...this thing works great! Now instead of spending my precious time away from the Cadre drying bottles and nipples...this contraption allows me to see what my favorite peeps are up to on TSC.

It's only a little more than other sterilizers...but man is this thing worth it!

I didn't shave today....yeah I kind of suck.

The Danger Zone

Okay...sterilizers...personally. I think they are completely unnecessary. I mean...just wash the damn bottle with soap and hot water and it should be good...right? That's what I think. But we all know that it ain't up to me. Like I ever thought it was. Nope...the wife has firmly established that anything that goes into the mouth of our child must be sterilized (just don't tell her that I found one of the Danger Hounds sucking on one of the baby's pacifiers and I promptly removed it from the dog's mouth and put it in the baby's...I did pass it under the faucet first).

So...we were given a sterilizer...and I thought it worked pretty well. But then you have to let it dry on the drying rack or hand dry the item, which I think kind of defeats the purpose. So the sterilizer is one more thing that should help out but actually creates more work.

Enter the Papablic Baby Bottle Electric Steam Sterilizer...AND DRYER!!!

View attachment 40192

Yup...this thing works great! Now instead of spending my precious time away from the Cadre drying bottles and nipples...this contraption allows me to see what my favorite peeps are up to on TSC.

It's only a little more than other sterilizers...but man is this thing worth it!

Wow, all about time saving gizmos now Don!? Lol.

I never bought into the sterilizing ordeal. Soap and water should work fine. The drying, though... Ooh man! Any machine that will dry all of the nooks and crannies in a bottle (nipple, the depths of the taller ones, the threads of the cap, etc.) are worth their weight in gold. I swear, those things too days to dry on their own, lol. Good choice!

Ooh man! Any machine that will dry all of the nooks and crannies in a bottle (nipple, the depths of the taller ones, the threads of the cap, etc.) are worth their weight in gold. I swear, those things too days to dry on their own, lol. Good choice!
This thing definitely does a pretty good job at drying!

i-have-nipples-don-could-you-sterilize-me.jpg

A quick entry between no sleep delirium and the baby waking up and wanting her food NOW!!!

Have I shaved? You betcha! Can't remember what I shaved with though. I think it was some good stuff.

The Danger Zone

So...the next thing that that I think every parent should have with a new born is a bit low tech. The previous two devises where gadgets of sort that makes my life easier. While this next item definitely makes my life easier...it's more of a mainstay than anything else. So what is it? You ask?

Infant Hospital Receiving Blankets!

1605962759741.png1605962834362.png

(Stock Photos...kid ain't mine...🤪)

These things are awesome! In addition to using them for swaddling...you can use them for a variety of other activities...burping, bathing, cleaning, covering...etc, etc, etc. Seriously all the other burp towels we were given or bought can suck it. Receiving blankets are where it's at.

Don't sweat it Don. A Vasectomy is the way to go. I got mine a little over a year after my daughter was born. Got it done on a Friday. And the Monday after my boss thought he would mess with me. Put me on a job that needed a bunch of jackhammer work. Challenge accepted jackwagon. Ran it all day. Did make the boys a little sore. But never told him that.

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (Shave # - Lost count already)
Soap/Cream: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville
Brush: TSC Anniversary Brush in Timberwolf Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Oz Shaving Co. - Foxville

1606772922141.png

I don't think I have used this soap and aftershave set since last year...maybe early this year...but it's been a while. This set just smells like that time where you can't tell if it is Autumn or Winter. From the soap maker..." deep base of Clove and Pepper, with notes of allspice and oak, as well as top notes of pine and lime." I don't get the lime...but I definitely get everything else. It's just a really good smelling set. I don't know what was up with me this morning...but instead of the usual WtG, XtG, and AtG passes (in that order), I went ahead and did XtG, AtG, and WtG (in that order). I hadn't shaved since Turkey Day so I was a little rough. And so was my shave. It felt like I was ripping each hair follicle out one by one. Was it the order of my passes or was it a blade that was in desperate need of replacing. Who knows. There wasn't any visible seepage of blood...so I guess that is a plus. All in all, the shave turned out pretty good. A healthy glug and splash of the aftershave with the same name...and I smelled good for at least one person on the elevator with me.

The Danger Zone

Seriously...I need a bit more sleep. Not that I am getting horrible sleep...I just wish it was in longer stretches.

Speaking of sleep. Before Danger Baby was born, the wife received a bassinet from her baby shower. The one she put on our registry was a very traditional looking bassinet. The baby hated it. She wouldn't spend more than two minutes in it before crying so hard it made my heart hurt. I will admit, that the mattress wasn't something I would want to lay on either, but I do know you can't have something super soft or plush for these new born babies to sleep on. So...we did a little research and went and looked at some of the more "trendy" bassinets. We came home with a Halo BassiNest Swivel Sleeper.

1606772968523.png1606773004457.png

I was very skeptical about the whole thing. Seriously...one place to lay my head is just as good as another right? Wrong! First off, this thing adjusts to a very high or low height and will fit right over your mattress so baby can get super close to mom. Mesh walls for breathability. Legs fit under bed. But most importantly, the "mattress" is firm, but gives a little and the Danger Baby sleeps soundly in the basinet. Totally worth the money! The wife purchased the Premiere version of it. In retrospect...I would have paid the extra moolah for the Luxe version as the basinet is removable from the stand. That would have made my life so much easier as we now have a Pack'n'play in the middle of our ever shrinking living room. But seriously...I know it was more money that we should have spent...but it is so much better than a crying baby. Now, to figure out what to do with the old basinet.

Also...gratuitous baby pics!

1606773063197.png1606773138575.png1606773273615.png

Back