The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

To be honest...I never really got them. I think if I was younger...I definitely would have had them. But to be honest...I am ready to be a Dad. Got to leave my legacy and imprint on this world. Be afraid...be very afraid! 🤪
If it hasn't hit yet just wait until you're in the delivery room, I remember when my oldest was born and saw his ears it really hit at that second for some reason... I remember I actually had tears then and when I held him for the first time it was all over....

Razor: Gillette Psycho Tech (circa 1972)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Roasted Oatmeal Stout
Brush: Graydog Brush in Cocobolo with Maggard Razors 26mm Mixed 70/30 Badger and Boar
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Reuzel Aftershave Lotion

View attachment 37626

This morning was a quick shave. It's really amazing how smooth a two passer shave can get you. And I thought today was going to be all botched. I forgot to soak the brush before I got in the shower. So after the washing of the Danger Skin (not a euphemism) I noticed my mistake and set forth to correct it. So I stuck the brush in my Old Spice mug filled with water while I attend to some coffee. It probably wasn't a long enough soak...but no biggie. Began to load and was getting a good bit of air filled fluff. This isn't good at all. Wet my face and began to build my lather. More air filled light and fluffy lather. I really should have just started over...but like a dumb Jar Head...I decided to push through with maximum effort. The lather did not get better. But I still went for the shave. Two passes in the vertical directions...and somehow...though this comedy of errors...I ended up with a really good shave. It's not a BBS shave...I would have needed another pass for that. But I did get a DFS! Splashed on a little Reuzel Aftershave and all is well in the world.

The Danger Zone

We are definitely in the home stretch with Danger Baby. The wife and I discussed about this being the last week that it will just be us. Don't get me wrong...I am not sad that the baby is coming...but it does make me pause a little and reflect on all the wonderful times that Richelle and I had together...with just us. I know a lot of people may or may not ever experience these feelings...as they build their families at younger ages. Being a bit older and being a first time Dad...while maybe not altogether unique...certainly isn't all that common either.

Richelle and I met after I came back from Afghanistan. It's been a challenging and fun relationship all the way. When we got married...we had a very private civil marriage. Months later, we had a larger more public wedding. We have our reasons for doing such. Anyway...yesterday marked our 10 year anniversary of our civil marriage. It went by with barely a notice. With everything that has been upon us in 2020...we pretty much forgot. We said our Happy Anniversaries and gave each other a kiss and a hug.

In just a few days (three days and a wake up as we used to say in the Marine Corps), our lives will be forever different.

Yeah...this is what you should expect of me all week Cadre...some really sappy stuff! 🤪

Anyway...I hope the Cadre starts their week off just fantastic! I know mine is going to be. Have a great Monday!
Happy anniversary Don.. Its a time for you to be sappy.. Big week ahead for you guys..All the best my friend...

If it hasn't hit yet just wait until you're in the delivery room, I remember when my oldest was born and saw his ears it really hit at that second for some reason... I remember I actually had tears then and when I held him for the first time it was all over....
Yeah Don, but what @Jaro1069 didn’t say is the ears might look hideous when they first come out but everything perks up pretty quickly and starts looking “human” pretty quick.
I don’t know if they are allowing it now, with COVID restrictions And all but they usually have dad give the first bath to get them all clean and perty for mom...you get to count toes and confirm the ears are alright then.

I have no doubt you’ll be fine Don. Even without your sister-in-law. I was 29 when I had my daughter Jennifer. My time in the Army over prepared me for the challenge.
The only thing that really tested my mettle was when they start eating regular food. Those diapers were quite pungent.
You already know how to deal with yelling, (Drill Sergeants). Lack of sleep. Taking care of people (FNG’s). Setting goals and objectives and accomplishing the mission.
Apply that intestinal fortitude to this. And lead the way. đź‘Ť You got this.
You forgot those first tar baby diapers.. Can't forget those !!

Yeah Don, but what @Jaro1069 didn’t say is the ears might look hideous when they first come out but everything perks up pretty quickly and starts looking “human” pretty quick.
I don’t know if they are allowing it now, with COVID restrictions And all but they usually have dad give the first bath to get them all clean and perty for mom...you get to count toes and confirm the ears are alright then.
Not sure either Chris...but I would be happy to give the Danger Baby her first bath! I know when I was a young'n...according to pics at least...I had HUGE ears. It seems that my head grew into them.

don’t know if they are allowing it now, with COVID restrictions And all but they usually have dad give the first bath to get them all clean and perty for mom...you get to count toes and confirm the ears are alright then.
I believe the current practice is they get a little wipe off, but then let that white stuff soak into their skin. Best skin food around (don't tell Dave, he'll want you to make a soap with it)

I guess Jjay was different because his little ears were adorable !!!! He wasn't one of the grey monsters..

I experienced a c-section birth thst was interesting! Even looked over the curtain. I've literally seen inside my wife! Little different because it was an emergency but I still got to hold my son and present him to Megan.

Then for our daughter that was VBAC, out came baby I cut the umbilical cord then doc wrapped her in blanket and handed her straight to mom. We sat there for like 30 minutes while doc tended to my wife who had a pretty rough delivery. But then yes I did give her the first bath.

Take it all in Don. Also you will have a totally different love for your wife after all this.

Another page flipped in the date book.....
tenor.gif

Back