The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Glad you got approval to work from home Don! That’ll be important when the jelly bean arrives!
Thanks Chris...yup...work from home was approved. When the baby comes I will go on leave for 2-3 weeks...so there will be no working then...well except for the work I have to put into the Danger Baby!

“Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school.
And the one man who dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool.” -- Plato (427 BC)

That is perfect.

30437b56a2ef0d63821d57806ba899a0.jpg

“Strange times are these in which we live when old and young are taught falsehoods in school.
And the one man who dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and fool.” -- Plato (427 BC)

That is perfect.
I'm glad you like it! I feel it is appropriate considering our times.

Razor: Gillette Psycho Tech (circa 1972)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (Black) (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Southern Superior Shave - Rue Bourbon
Brush: @Techichi - The Tech Hive Brush
The Penultimate Aftershave - Humphreys Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Cold River Soap Works - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion

1601987774889.png

Went to a new to me Farmers Market on Saturday and discovered a local soap artisan. Okay...I am usually so skeptical of shave soaps at farmers markets. It seems the majority of them are just not good shave soaps at all. But I struck up a conversation with the owners of Southern Superior Shave. On their table was a variety of bath soaps but in addition were some shave oils, beard oils, soaps and aftershaves. The Soaps and aftershaves are what drew my attention. Anyway...discovered their soap was made with tallow and shea butter and decided that this wasn't going to be a typical farmer's market soap. So I picked up a tub of their Rue Bourbon Soap.

I'll get into every detail of the soap later in an actual review. But just wanted to get some initial thoughts down. This soap is...for the most part...a minimal ingredient soap. Nine ingredients in all with Tallow, coconut oil, and shea butter being the only fats as far as I can tell. This is really sold soap. Easy to load...super creamy lather...nice and slick...and it doesn't dry out the face. Post shave feel is really good on this soap...but the lather is where it is at. Really creamy that provides some seriously nice protection while you scrape the face with a razor. All around...this is some good stuff.

The scent itself is of oak, sandalwood, and bourbon. Probably more on the sandalwood side of things (which is perfectly fine by me) but you do get that woody oak a little and the you can definitely get the spiciness of the bourbon. The scent of the soap is a nice strength. Enough to smell the whole way through the shave...but not overwhelming at all.

I pulled out the Psycho Tech for this shave. I hadn't used one of my favorite razors in a VERY long time. I will tell you what...slap in a really sharp blade ins this very mild razor...and you will get one of the best shaves of your life. Super smooth!

Three passes and I got a 95% BBS Shave!

The Danger Zone

I started adhering to strict social distancing/quarantine yesterday. The wife and I are pretty much staying away from everyone with the exception of her parents and my mother. I am working from home until Friday the October the 16th (10 days away) when I go on leave because of Danger Baby. This is the beginning of an adventure that I thought I would never see. Life has a funny way of doing what she wants to do on her time. I'm 47 years old and Danger Baby will be my first. I know I will be a good dad...and being older I understand that I will react to certain things in a different manner than if I was 24. That being said...I have my own set of challenges...and I welcome them. I just don't know how I will tackle them. I guess I will tackle them like I always do...head on.

Did I mention that life has a way of doing what she wants to do? Did I also mention that we have this beast coming straight for us?

Yeah...it's October and we are still getting Hurricanes. My wife is at 37/38 weeks and we are going to have to deal with this? She is not happy. She has already said that she will be even unhappier if she goes into labor in the middle of a Hurricane. I mean...she is called Danger Baby after all. Here is the updated track of the storm...

1601987642144.png

On a happier note...the wife's sister is coming in next week to stay with us for a few weeks to help out with Danger Baby and all. Best news I have heard in a long time!

I hope the Cadre is high in spirits this Tuesday Morning! I hope you all have a wonderful day today!

I'm going to have to order that soap. It sounds right up my alley. Great shave!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to order that soap. It sounds right up my alley. Great shave!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I guess I forgot to post links to the site and all.

Like I said...I will do a more detailed review after I get another shave under my belt.

Thanks for reading!

Pretty cool that you get to support a local artisan like that. I have only found one soap locally that is decent at a farmer's market.

Get ready the baby will be here soon. So what would the Danger Wife think about a TSC onesie?

Stay safe and dry!

Get ready the baby will be here soon. So what would the Danger Wife think about a TSC onesie?
She would roll her eyes...but at the end of the day...she would have Danger Baby wear it and likely have a photo op! For all the eye rolls my wife does when it comes to shaving...she is actually very appreciative to all the friends I have made. The shaving community bye and large has treated us...and yes, I mean us as in the wife and me...very well.

She would roll her eyes...but at the end of the day...she would have Danger Baby wear it and likely have a photo op! For all the eye rolls my wife does when it comes to shaving...she is actually very appreciative to all the friends I have made. The shaving community bye and large has treated us...and yes, I mean us as in the wife and me...very well.

Well okay then!

That soap has to be a decent performer if it can stand up that fuzzy mug!
I'm not going to say that it's my absolute favorite soap or anything...but it's a solid performer and WAY better than a lot of soaps I have tried!

Back