The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I guess this is why I have not been to a bar in months. Why else would you go to a bar if not to get stupid? Responsible barfly--now there is an oxymoron. Personally, when I do go to bars I like to lend physical support to the bar itself as I lean against it. And, in my experience, one of the best places on the planet to belly up to a bar is Louisiana.

Maybe I should have rephrased that. The bars have been standing room only and several liquor licenses have been pulled because of it. Carry on.

Razor: Shave Tools STSS-6
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Ghost Lime
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Tiber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: RazoRock - Essential Oil of Lime

1593444727855.png

Quick Entry this morning. Decided to Use a razor that I got in a giveaway at another place. This is a medium-aggressive razor and very much great for a couple days of stubble. Used the CBL Ghost Lime and it pairs wonderfully with the Essential Oil of Lime Aftershave. Ended up with a mostly BBS shave and am feeling pretty good about it!

The Danger Zone

My wife's final interview is in about an hour. I am driving her to it so she doesn't have to worry about parking. Keeping our fingers crossed and saying a prayer that this is where her career path leads her down. We will see.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Monday! Crush it Cadre!

She’s got this!
I think the next Lime soap I buy will be Ghost Lime. Great slogan on the tub. Best of luck to Mrs Don on the interview!
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers guys! Interview went well and there was an unexpected twist in the end. Not good or bad...just a twist. Well I take that back...it could be a good twist. Just depaends. But I can't say anything yet. I'll keep you all updated once I know. Thanks again guys for the good vibes!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Barrister and Mann - Terror
Brush: TSC 2nd Anniversary Brush
The Ultimate Aftershave: Barrister and Mann - Terror

1593953475291.png

This was yesterday's shave. I had every intention of posting it then...but the wife got up early and was raring to get out of the house a little. So I didn't have time to post. Anywho...

I am finally beginning my July themed shaves. And I decided to pull out my absolute coldest software that I had. The Terror set by Barrister and Mann is just that. I'll explain. first off...this soap performs just as you would expect. Pretty darn good. Terror is in their Excelsior version of shave soap. If you follow along with B&M then you will probably know the difference between this version and another version. Sorry to say...that I do not. All I know is that several years ago...B&M was all the rage and I tried a couple of their soaps. It was okay...but really no different than the many other soaps that were on the rise at the time. I had my favorites...and so never thought twice about them. Fast forward...if this Excelsior soap is base is indicative of their quality...then yeah...it's pretty darn good. Better than most...but not as good as a few.

Anyway...The scent notes on this soap are subtle enough and if I hadn't already known what they were, I probably couldn't tell you...I would have just said..."cold." But alas, I believe the scent profile is supposed to be Frankincense, Cold Water (whatever that smells like), and Peppermint. Again...all the scents are super subtle and I am pretty sure that if you wanted to wear any other scent with this soap and aftershave, you could.

But the real story here is the cold! The frigidness of this set as a whole. Saying that this is my coldest set is kind of an understatement...but it's not because of the soap alone. To be honest...the soap is cold...by it's not the coldest. I think Chiseled Face/Groomatorium is probably colder in the soap format. What the Terror soap does is that it builds up in intensity as you use it. But it isn't unbearable. Where this set really gets you is the aftershave.

OMG!!! The Aftershave! Okay...again...not the coldest out there upon initial splash. But this stuff lasts. And what I mean by lasting, is all day long! I love the way it feels on you. It is brisk and cold. Again...the scent likely won't interfere with any others. But you feel the cold...and you keep feeling it. And keep feeling it! Upon application...I washed my hands...twice. And several times during the day (above and beyond my COVID-19 prevention). And every time I touched my face...or dampened it with water...or sweat...the cold would invigorate. Like I said I kept washing my hands. At some point I was asking myself "why is this still activating and why is it on my hands all the time after I wash my hands?" Then it hit me (yeah I am a little slow sometimes)...I KEEP TOUCHING MY FACE! Exactly what you are not supposed to do during a pandemic...right? Just made me realize how often I really do touch my face without realizing. The other thing...mask wearing...yeah this was interesting. While wearing my mask yesterday...my face was in permanent freeze mode. Recycling my own air in the mask kept activating the cooling agents in the aftershave and felt like I had this cold ring on my face from the bridge of my nose to below my chin! Let's just say that it was an interesting experience. For those who wish to experience this arctic response on your face...I guess B&M makes an additive for your shave called Terrorade. Not sure if it has the same intensity as what the set has...but if it does...you are in for an experience.

back to the shave...I had several days of growth...and I usually get really good shaves after plowing through days of growth. Yup...ended up with a mostly BBS shave and my face felt good all day...despite the Arctic Sensation.

The Danger Zone

A couple quick things...

Wife had another doc appointment on Thursday. And I am still not allowed in the hospital. October is comin soon...and we have been reassured that I will be allowed in the delivery room and in the hospital for the wife's recovery and monitoring of the baby. So there is that. But the way things are going...I don't expect our Woman's Hospital to lesson restrictions for visitation. Hey...I am okay with that. You need to protect that vulnerable population as much as possible. Anyway...another ultrasound was done and the baby still won't cooperate. With this scan and the previous...they are able to see all the parts that they need to see except for one part of the heart. But so far everything looks great. They did say that the baby's legs are measuring longer than normal...whatever that means. At this stage...I am not sure it means really anything. They determined that the baby weighs one pound, eight ounces. Don't know if that is a actual measurement or an approximation based on size. But more importantly...the baby's measurements are all within two days of gestational age. So we are pretty happy.

We were going to have my mother and the wife's parents over for some hotdogs and hamburgers last night. But "mama" started to get some ligament pain and cramping. She kept telling me that she just needed to lay down for a while and that everything would be okay. I half scolded her and told her right now is not the time to "tough it out." So I made the executive decision and postponed our hamburgers and hotdogs until tonight. It was a good thing that I did too..."mama" didn't feel well the rest of the night. She is fine and better now...I think she just needed some rest.

I hope the Fourth of July was a pleasant one for the Cadre! And I hope you all have a great rest of the weekend!

Back