The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4th Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Grassroots Lavender
Brush: Purple and Geauxld Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Ultimate Aftershave: Chatillon Lux - Champs de Lavande

1592826100358.png

Last Full week of the TSC Artisans and Hobbyists Shave Theme. So if you haven't posted one in the shave theme thread this is your opportunity. Today I went with @CBLSoap.com in the Grassroots Lavender flavor! This is a nice Lavender interpretation. Definitely lavender forward but with some other nice scents to round this out. Chris describes this soap as: "Grassroots Lavender is an aromatic lavender scent based on the classic English Lavender scent by Yardley with top notes of Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Lavender and Bergamot. Middle notes of Clary sage, Cedar and Geranium and Base notes of Tonka bean, Musk and Oakmoss. The resulting scent is a floral and somewhat woody lavender that is as unique as it is enjoyable." What I really love about this soap, and really all the hemp oil based soaps that Chris makes, is how my face feels. The two most moisturizing soaps I use are hands down CBL Premium Shave Soaps and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. Others are pretty good. But these are tops in my arena for that. I liked the lather so much I went with a four passer and I was rewarded with a mostly BBS shave.

I mentioned it last week with another aftershave. But @gobucks5485 sent me some Chatillon Lux aftershave samples. Today I am using the Champs de Lavande sample. This aftershave really matches well with the Grassroots Lavender soap. They even share a lot of the same scents, "This relaxing and introspective walk through a field features lavender, ylang ylang, eucalyptus, rosemary, bergamot and black pepper to give an elegant simple scent that we call Champs de Lavande, an easily wearable and widely appreciated aroma that reflects a spring day in the sun." The distinctive difference here is that I get a kind of soapy smell from the aftershave. It's not bad at all, in fact I really like it. But it's just a little different.

A couple splashes of the aftershave and I am ready to tackle the world.

The Danger Zone

It's a rainy morning currently on the bayou. In fact it is supposed to be a pretty wet week. Nothing to worry about...just some rain.

I did some yard work this weekend. And then put up some house decorations. The wife and I wanted to put some stuff up for the Fourth of July to make the house look nice. Nothing crazy...just some flags and door ornaments. Not to get all into it, but with current events, the wife and I find that it is more important now than ever to be patriotic.

Put up another ceiling fan yesterday...I hate putting up ceiling fans. But this one was relatively easy.

The wife and I have been buying all of our beef and pork from a local butcher. Our last order was a really big one. In it was a package of sirloin steaks. So here is the thing about sirloin steaks we usually get in the store. They are usually just the strip portion or something similar. I know the pic below doesn't do it justice...but the steak barely fit in a 9x4 backing dish! I ate a good portion of it, my wife had some, and then I have a dinner size portion to take to work today for lunch! It was a huge steak!

Anyway..I hope the Cadre has a wonderful day! Kick the week off right!

1592826275931.png

Wow!! That steak looks delicious!!

Nice shave today. Always like looking at that brush.

Send some of that rain up my way please! I can’t believe that with as much rain as we got during the late winter and early spring seasons, that we’d now be in a deficit!

Wow!! That steak looks delicious!!

Nice shave today. Always like looking at that brush.

Send some of that rain up my way please! I can’t believe that with as much rain as we got during the late winter and early spring seasons, that we’d now be in a deficit!
Weather patterns are definitely different right now. Not sure if are getting our rain...but hope you get just a little rain and nothing else! I know spring and summer storms are bad news in your neck of the woods.

Now I am hungry THANKS ha ha. Looks really good nothing beats a nice steak on the grill!!
I am happy you enjoyed the CL samples. Shawn Maher who I had the pleasure of meeting at a meet up in Louisville is truly one of the nicest person I have meet.
His web sight tells the story of all his products.
I am eagerly anticipating using his new La Patite Prairie aftershave tomorrow morning. I would be happy to send you a sample if you would like.
I do enjoy your reviews and nice pictures.

75 days HOPEFULLY till college football!!

GO BUCKS!!!!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (5th Shave)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Windjammer
Brush: Synthetic Shave Brush by Eric Sorrentino @Smattayu
The Penultimate Aftershave - Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - Post Shave Elixir - White Mountain
The Ultimate Aftershave: Vintage Old Spice

1593000615252.png

It was a busy morning. More on that later. But because it was a busy morning...I needed a serious shave fix! Time to bust out the Vintage Old Spice and a soap that goes with it. @Mystic Water got the call with Windjammer in a shave stick! Windjammer is the "Old Spice" scent for for MW and what a familiar friend it is. I personally think that I get a better shave with MW when I use the shave stick application. I know it is likely in my head...but that is my story and I am sticking with it. Pulled out my very first Eric Sorrentino Brush...and this one was a freebie! He said the handle wasn't up to his standards and said I could have it! I have no idea what it was that didn't pass muster...but I said hell yeah! Sent him a knot and it's all history! Regular three pass shave and I have seemed to use more pressure on the neck than I would have liked. A little irritation...but nothing a little Post Shave Elixir by @LNHC can't handle. I'll douse myself liberally with the Old Spice as soon as I am about to leave the house. I don't want to push my luck with the pregnant wife and her sensitive super snooter right now!

The Danger Zone

Like I said...it was a busy morning. The Danger Hounds woke me up this morning around 3:00 AM because of some serious thunder rumblings. Shortly after, we had our first Tornado Warning. Yes...you read that right...our first. Throughout the morning we had a couple more Tornado Warnings. Grabbed our stuff, made sure we had pillows blankets, flashlights, and clothes on. Grabbed the dogs and sat in the safest part of the house...a small hallway toward the center of the house that is close to the guest bath. The storm passed and all is well. I think the area received minimal damage. But the storm is moving off to the North West and moving into areas of Mississippi and later I assume into Alabama. I hope it fizzles out before anything real bad happens. There is some bad weather in the Houston area that might be heading our way later today...but hopefully that turns into a nothing burger.

Because of the festivities...I have already polished off a pot of coffee. Working on my second pot. Yeah...caffeine is my friend this morning. Have to go into work again this morning. And despite our Governor keeping the state in Phase II for a while longer...it looks like I will be going back into work full time starting July 6th.

I hope the Cadre's morning is going better than mine. But all is well! Have a fantastic day Cadre!

Last edited:
You've been awake longer than me so far, but not by much. Hang in there with that cup of coffee, Don! I'll be grabbing one myself here in a bit.

Shortly after, we had our first Tornado Warning. Yes...you read that right...our first. Throughout the morning we had a couple more Tornado Warnings. Grabbed our stuff, made sure we had pillows blankets, flashlights, and clothes on. Grabbed the dogs and sat in the safest part of the house...a small hallway toward the center of the house that is close to the guest bath. The storm passed and all is well. I think the area received minimal damage. But the storm is moving off to the North West and moving into areas of Mississippi and later I assume into Alabama. I hope it fizzles out before anything real bad happens.
Man! 2020 ain’t doin the Deep South any favors in that regard! Be safe man!

Man! 2020 ain’t doin the Deep South any favors in that regard! Be safe man!
Thanks Chris! Late Spring and Early Summer we have these storms that pop up. Alabama gets them even more than us I think. I am sure that the 2020 Hurricane season probably will be an active one. Tell me why do I live here?

Back