The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Another fun thing to do is to be in the middle of honing a couple of straight razors when the boyfriend shows up, that gets their attention too, lol. In my neck of the woods most boys are accustomed to seeing and being around guns, straight razors are a different story, haha :devilish:. My daughter will be 17 next month. Congrats and enjoy.
Thanks for the tip!

Dunno if you guys might have something similar, but we have a neighborhood app that's great for getting rid of stuff like that. Likely if it's a nice mattress could ask enough to pay a few boxes of diapers.

If for some reason Dave's idea doesn't work out and you can wait until this nonsense is over I would be very interested in driving over there to grab it and a beer....dozen beers.

If for some reason Dave's idea doesn't work out and you can wait until this nonsense is over I would be very interested in driving over there to grab it and a beer....dozen beers.
I'll definitely keep you in mind! Maybe even meet you half way or something!

I know storms have been ripping up stuff down there pretty badly. I hope it blows over y’all without incident today! Be safe!

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Declaration Grooming in collaboration with Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche
Brush: TSC Member Brush in Finest Badger
The Ultimate Aftershave: Chatillon Lux - Vide Poche

1587560886568.png

Well, I haven't been shaving as often as I probably should, but I will try to make up for it the rest of the week...maybe... ;) . Anyway...the Letter "V" came up today and why not pull out my favorite "V" soap and aftershave set. Actually...it's probably my absolute favorite soap and aftershave set. Vide Poche got the call. Absolutely love this scent. I have gushed before so I won't do it again. But man...the way the honeysuckle, freesia, lavender, orange, bergamot and amber all work together...it is a bouquet of spring to my nose! The soap is one of the best performers I have also. Just really good stuff!

Three passes with the old Progress and I went for a sharper blade this time with the Feather. caught my neck a little and didn't even realize it. But no biggie. By the time I finished the shave and drenched myself in the aftershave...all was well. Damn Fine Shave Plus! Though I will say it is hard to tell when I touch my face...my hands feel a lot like sand paper right now.

The Danger Zone!!!

Holy Cow! The pregnancy thing got real. Not that it wasn't real before. We have been getting in a steady stream of boxes from mostly Amazon filled with baby stuff. Yesterday came a stroller and two car seats as well as some little bouncing contraption. Books, some clothes, and other unidentifiable stuff. Turns out the wife is part of these Facebook groups where the have links to like close out deals and discontinued items for half off or more. So when she sees something we need...she buys one..or two...or more.

Another thing that is making this real...is that we have an appointment today to go look at a nursery set. I don't know...it's five pieces or something. Maybe more. The wife has looked up the maker and all the ratings and reviews. Solid Wood...Check. No reports of harm to children...Check. Customer Satisfaction...Check. Not made in China...Check and Double Check! Not sure if it's made in USof A or not...but I will figure that out when we get there.

Hope the Cadre has a fantastic day today. Hang in there...things will be getting better soon!

Great shave and read, Don! Vide Posh is one of those that I've always been curious about. Might be time for a sample order from Maggards lol.

There's something about Vide Poche that makes me think it smells like a Tootsie Roll. I just work here, man.

Great shave and read, Don! Vide Posh is one of those that I've always been curious about. Might be time for a sample order from Maggards lol.
Don't think you will be able to get samples any more from places like Maggards. I could be wrong. But if you want...I can send you a sample...I have plenty.

Don't think you will be able to get samples any more from places like Maggards. I could be wrong. But if you want...I can send you a sample...I have plenty.
They still have samples, but probably just the ones that were already made and Declaration Grooming is sold out. It's probably for the best. Thank you for the offer, but there is no point in tempting myself right now lol.

They still have samples, but probably just the ones that were already made and Declaration Grooming is sold out. It's probably for the best. Thank you for the offer, but there is no point in tempting myself right now lol.
Definitely Understand

It may be shouting into the wind (as far as convincing your wife is concerned), but there's no actual need to get a nursery "set." (Having said that, I suggest buying a crib rather than just using a box you plucked from your recycling). We bought a crib that we used for both our boys and then our "changing table" was a desk (Ikea maybe?) that is still being used by our teenager.

It may be shouting into the wind (as far as convincing your wife is concerned), but there's no actual need to get a nursery "set." (Having said that, I suggest buying a crib rather than just using a box you plucked from your recycling). We bought a crib that we used for both our boys and then our "changing table" was a desk (Ikea maybe?) that is still being used by our teenager.
Thanks Bob! Yeah..I suggested the old, "get a trough and pad it with hay" idea. That was definitely a no go. We did pick up a "set." It was a discontinued model and was on closeout. It's solid wood (pine...so it's not all exotic and all), not made in China. And was within our budget. It came with a Crib, Dresser, Changing Tray, and Mattress. We ordered the rails so the crib can be converted to a full size bed after the kid gets too big for the Crib/Toddler Bed. I probably could have got something cheaper. But I wanted something that was solid and something that I can either refinish or paint later. But yeah...everything else we get will probably be Ikea or the like. Below is a pic of the set (not my pic):

1587640539995.png

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Feather Hi-Stainless (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Mystic Water - Windjammer
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Vintage Old Spice

1587642264574.png

Today's shave is brought to you by the letter "W." And what better "W" to use than Windjammer by @Mystic Water ! This is Michelle's take on Old Spice and I think it is spot on. This soap is in a stick and personally, I think that that Muystic Water works really well in stick form!

This morning I really took my time and built a nice lather...slowly adding water like you are supposed to. To often I just throw a bunch of water on my face...dunk the brush in a mug of water and whip up a lather. But this morning I really took my time. I was rewarded with a supper slick lather. If you add just the right amount of water with Mystic Water...you will be rewarded with one of the slickest soaps in your den.

Just a two pass shave and a healthy dousing of Vintage Old Spice and man...I feel like I am ready for work. Well, ready to sit at the table and look at my computer all day while I work. 🤪

The Danger Zone!!!

Well, like the the above stated. The wife and I bought a crib that can later convert to a full size bed when the kid gets older. It was on a closeout deal so I feel a "little" better about buying it. Yeah...this little girl is already getting expensive and I have a feeling that I have absolutely no idea exactly "how" expensive this will all be.

Anyone else watching the NFL Draft tonight? Normally I don't watch this. But tonight with the "virtual" draft I might watch it. It also helps that there may be five or six LSU players in the first round.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Thursday and hope all are well and healthy. Crazy times out there!

Crib looks really good Don, and I am really happy for you and your wife. Your shave set up looks pretty great too. Also, yes I will be watching the virtual draft tonight while drinking a few beers. Hopefully someone trades up to 1 to grab Burrow from Cinci.

I'll be watching too. I think that if anything affects the NFL season. 45 ought to send some codes to the a subs off the coast of China. There will have to be consequences for such things :p .

Back