The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Razor: Gillette Psycho Tech
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (New Blade)
Soap/Cream: Barrister & Mann - Terror
Brush: TSC 1st Anniversary Brush in Timber Wolf Synthetic by Eric Sorrentino
The Penultimate Aftershave: Danger Elixir
The Ultimate Aftershave: Barrister & Mann - Terror

1584972031461.png

Yesterday I started a thread about posting your manly shave of the week. This is done in honor of our front line guys who are working in hospitals, clinics, ambulances, and the such. Mad respect for these people. So I decided to go ahead and start my week off with a good manly shave!

For the longest time I did not use Barrister and Mann soaps because I tried one a while back and was not all that impressed. Fast Forward to last year. One of our Heroes, @bentheduck, pif'd me a tub of B&M Terror! This stuff shave great. What impresses me the most is that the lather is one of the thickest and richest lathers I have tried. Very protective also. In other words, the lather is some good stuff.

The scent is supposed to be a Frankincense/Barbershop scent. I smell something along those lines, albeit faint...I mean very faint. Most of what I smell is the synthetic menthol. Not unpleasant...just very neutral.

This is , however, one of the colder soaps I have tried. Not the coldest...just colder. But it feels really nice. The freeze does last a bit longer than most, but the Likes of CBL Ghost versions and The Holy Black Creeper soaps last longer.

The Post Shave Feel (PSF) is much better than I expected also. Leaves the face feeling nice and super smooth with out being overly drying or overly "greasy."

Now the Aftershave! Now this is where it's at! It's the same scent (obviously), but the cold factor got kicked up a notch. It's not sub-arctic freezing temperatures (it's totally tolerable), but it is pretty cold. But the duration of the freeze lasts quite some time! I splashed some on about an hour ago, and to be honest this freeze is still going strong! This is some good juice!

Okay...so what can I say about my shave. Well the Psycho Tech is one of mt favorite razors. Not just because it is a hard razor to get...with the original key...but because it is a great shaver! And I think it shaves better than other techs also. It is likely the longer handle and the heavier weight. Either way...it's manly! Three regular passes and three days of beard (maybe more...I kind of lost track) was wiped away and nothing but smooth skin is left!

Before the Terror Aftershave was applied, I splashed my face with the Danger Elixir. This is a concoction of 2 parts witch hazel, 1 part Superior 70, and several drops of Vegetable Glycerin. I measure this out in ounces and added 10 drops of the glycerin. It's something I am playing around with and is an ever evolving post shave, pre-aftershave splash.

By the way...a quick note about Terror. This B&M set is actually named after the HMS Terror that was searching for the North West Passage and was stuck in ice and I believe all the crew died. The account was later made into a novel and later into a TV Series. The series was amazing (first season that was actually about the incident...the second season sucked). My wife read the book and said that it did a great job at instilling dread and hopelessness as she read it. The TV series did a pretty good job also. Anyway...this is what B&M had to say about it:

There is a place. A place that hungers for the warmth of living things, that consumes all who come near. A bitter, empty wasteland, a yawning chasm at the top of the world. Such places are not meant for men.The HMS Terror, along with all 129 souls it carried, was lost to the Arctic in 1848, consumed by the endless, empty hunger of the ice. A veteran of the War of 1812 and retrofitted for Arctic exploration, the Terror and its sister ship the HMS Erebus were swallowed by the frigid waters, their crews left to make their way for 600 miles in an attempt to escape the same fate. But the creeping, bone-shattering cold of the Arctic does not abide weakness. Nor does it have any regard for strength of spirit and stoutness of character. It knows only hunger, and devours without restraint. None survived.Inspired by the grisly legend of the Terror and the Erebus, our Terror shaving soap gives new meaning to bitter cold. We blended frankincense (the smell of ship’s timbers) with the very essence of cold water to bring to mind the empty wastes of the Arctic Circle, and have incorporated our custom blend of cooling agents to bring an insidious, endless chill to the experience. Tearless and stingless, unlike its mentholated cousin Arctique, Terror is a ghastly revelation, a glimpse into abyss. Heaven help us if it ever glimpses back.

The Danger Zone!!!

So this work from home bit got a tad easier. My agency sent everyone home on Friday and now I don't have to account for my time. We are all told to "do our best" at working from home. I have some stuff that I can work on so I will give it a good effort.

The Governor has issued a mandatory "Stay Home" order. Like most places is limiting movement to essential places like store, pharmacy, doctor, etc. With this also, he ordered all non-essential businesses to close up for the time being. I was expecting this, not just because it's what is happening everywhere, but also because Louisiana has one of the highest rates of confirmed cases per capita in the country.

I know only a few of you will read this...but I urge all of you to stay positive and think on those that really need help. There is a lot of fear mongering going on right now. And while the situation is serious...there is a lot of effort going on to keep people afraid. I think back to WWII Britain and the Moniker of "Keep Calm and carry On." Yeah...the slogan has been bastardized as of late. But at the time...Britains were going through a really bad time. They were being bombed every night. Living under constant fear of life and death. 100s of people were dying by the day...and not on the front lines...but in the British Isles where they were only being attacked by air. Only, right? But they were urged to "Keep Clam and Carry On." I see this is don't be panicked. Be Positive. Do your part to repel the enemy. Help out those you are able. Be a leader with your family and friends. Take this time to reflect on the things you have and the things you are grateful for. Be at ease. Keep calm and carry on!

Last edited:
Quick note about the Terror aftershave. DON'T TOUCH YOUR EYES WITH YOUR HANDS!!!

Seriously...after a few hand washes later, I am still getting a cooling sensation from my hands when I touch various parts. The splash on my face has settled down, but whatever is left on my hands is still leaving some cooling stuff going on. Time for hand wash number 4 this morning!

Good shave Don. I appreciate the positive words. I think Michigan has a shelter in place order coming later this morning and it has me feeling quite depressed. Gotta try to look on the bright side—lots of daddy-daughter bonding time!

It sounds like mandatory use of Terror AS would sharply curb the spread of the Coronavirus! 🤪

Good shave Don. I appreciate the positive words. I think Michigan has a shelter in place order coming later this morning and it has me feeling quite depressed. Gotta try to look on the bright side—lots of daddy-daughter bonding time!

It sounds like mandatory use of Terror AS would sharply curb the spread of the Coronavirus! 🤪
Daddy-Daughter time sounds nice! I can't think of anything more calming and positive than that! And yeah...I think the Terror just might kill off any unwanted viruses...ever!

Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2nd Shave)
Soap/Cream: CBL Premium Shave Soap - Iron Throne
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Grand Bay - Bay Rum

1585139377736.png

My second manly shave of the week is a tribute to @NurseDave ! Continuing on with the Gillette Psycho Tech which is a razor I know Mr. Command Post Nurse uses from time to time. I honestly can't think of a much more manly shave than this Iron Throne soap. I mean...it hist all the manly scent notes...Bay...Juniper...Rum...Smoked Cedar...Sandalwood...Black Oud. How does it not get manlier than that! Okay... @CBLSoap.com put in TWO types of Menthol! Yup...this is a manly soap. I had three smooth passes with the Psycho Tech! I splashed on several glugs of the Danger Elixir...yes...manliness personified! And then the finishing touch? Grand Bay - Bay Rum...nothing much in this stuff except the original formula...let's just say that today...I exude manliness!

The Danger Zone!!!

Still working from home. My VPN and remote connection is okay at best. And in the afternoon it goes down a lot and seems that between 2 and 3 PM it pretty much kicks me out. Because of the confidential nature of my job, the head of our agency does not allow us to bring documents home with us. That means that I need to do all of my document review remotely which makes it near impossible. But I am making due, and doing my best to actually do some work each day. I won't get into details of the situation. But I was extremely PO'd yesterday. My supervisor did something EXTREMELY sneaky and devious. I did not appreciate it at all. He does this stuff from time to time and this one really got under my skin. I don't understand people who manage through fear and intimidation. I mean...what do they think they are getting out of it? That type of management style does not motivate people to work harder. And while I can't speak for all...I know for me...this type of behavior actually makes me dig in my heals.

Okay...enough of the complaining. I hope everyone is dealing and fairing well with our current predicament! Do something to improve your mood! Take a walk around the block. Walk your dog. Sit out in the sun. Just take a little time to get some fresh air so you are not cooped up inside all day long! Do something that make you feel better!

And thank you Cadre for being the Cadre! I think you all help me and others stay sane in these weird times!

Quick note about the Terror aftershave. DON'T TOUCH YOUR EYES WITH YOUR HANDS!!!

Seriously...after a few hand washes later, I am still getting a cooling sensation from my hands when I touch various parts. The splash on my face has settled down, but whatever is left on my hands is still leaving some cooling stuff going on. Time for hand wash number 4 this morning!
Guess that you also have to be careful in the bathroom too :eek:

Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3rd Shave)
Soap/Cream: Grooming Department - Mallard Lavender
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - Lavender Pour Homme

1585317149816.png

Third shave with the Psych this week and my shaves are better than they usually are. Decided to bust out the Mallard Lavender soap from Grooming department. The scent notes are supposed to be lemon, lavender, violet, geranium, rose, cinnamon and tonka beans. Shaving with this soap I thought it was a fairly straight forward lavender scent. There was something else in there but very subtle. I don't really get any of the scent notes...at least not individually. I can see the other floral components being in there...but just ever so slightly. And the lemon would be hard to detect anyway...it would just come across as a little brightness. I definitely don't get cinnamon at all. And the only tonka I know of is the bright yellow Tonka Truck I had when I was a kid! Now that was an indestructible toy!

Anyway...the shave was really nice. I know a lot of people have issues with Grooming Department soaps...I did not. And Oh Boy! This soap probably has the BEST residual slickness of any soap I have ever tried. The post shave feel is really awesome as well! Three quick passes and pretty darn smooth!

I kept the aftershave splash to a minimum. First reason is because I am working from home and therefore can't share this awesome scent with the people on the elevator! The second reason...and the main reason if you will...is the wife is a little sensitive to smells right now. I DON'T want to unleash the dragon...if you know what I mean! 🤪

The Danger Zone!!!

For all those naysayers out there. I have a video in the production studio as we speak. Should be available within the hour.

Since I am not commuting to work...I am taking the extra time to do a couple of things around the home. Yesterday I washed the truck, which was long over due. And man was that thing dirty. But I slayed the beast and my nine year old truck is white again (it's supposed to be white). But washing the truck led to washing the mower, which meant I had to get out the jack and raise the mower deck so I could spray out the undercarriage. Yup...there was a lot of build up. So that in turn led me to pull out the shovel and clean that mess up. So now...I think I have to power wash the driveway! Good Times!

Well it's Friday. I don't know if that really means anything right now. But if you are able to...enjoy your weekend and get outside a bit for some fresh air. Hang in there Cadre! we will get through this. Saying prayers and sending positive vibes to all the Cadre and their family!

Man...that day was a bit too productive there buddy... 😜

Glad my verbal jab got ya motivated! Looking forward to watching later!

Don,
What do you think of the Rapira Platinum Lux blades? I liked a sample tuck that I bought so when Italian Barber had them on sale for $6.99 for a hundred,I pulled the trigger.

G

Don,
What do you think of the Rapira Platinum Lux blades? I liked a sample tuck that I bought so when Italian Barber had them on sale for $6.99 for a hundred,I pulled the trigger.

G
I actually like them a good bit. I'm not going to say that they are my favorite...but they are definitely worth that price. If they were the only blades I could shave with, I wouldn't be disappointed. A nice sharp razor, not too sharp..and fairly smooth.

Back