The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

$200 to replace everything, derailers, brakes, shocks, tires? Heck that sounds like a great deal!

My bicycle is about 10 years old. It is a fully equiped mountain bike. All of my normal rides are on a paved surface. Some times I do go dirt trails, haven't in a while. I just wanted to have the flexibilty of going off road. I don't see myself getting a road bike. I don't really have the desire to ride on the public roads around here.

Yup..I asked about the everything part and that is what he said. So I guess in that respect it is a pretty good deal. My only issue is that I hate putting a sum of money into something if the value isn't there. Currently, if my bike was in excellent condition (which it isn't) the Bike Blue Book puts the value at $63. Now I am not thinking of selling the bike and I understand value is a very subjective thing. Basically in my situation I can spend $200 and end up with a perfectly fine bike for riding around the neighborhood and some REALLY light trails. Or I can spend about $500 on a bike that will be similar to what I have now, only...you know...new. Or I can spend about $700 and get a bile that I like and will be perfectly fine for getting on most trails and won't have to upgrade parts until I get more serious.

For now...until I can prove that I am actually going to ride the bike a lot...I think the $200 option will just be fine. I am with you Craig...I am really just riding around the neighborhood but want the option of getting on a trail every now and then.

By the way, here is a pic of the wife's bike (Stock Photo)...

Just do what you’ve got to do to get started riding. You’ll probably replace it later, but just get riding.

Ive got a Trek hybrid, but it’s sitting on a flat tire that I haven’t fixed in over a year. Been too busy with the move, and now I’m much further from work, and it’s not really feasible to use as a commuter anymore. But I would like to get it out and ride, sometime. Going to remedy that soon.

With the hybrid/mtn bike decision, the biggest difference is posture during the ride. A Hybrid is going to be a little bit more upright, while a MTB is going to be slightly more forward, but not nearly as forward as a road bike. A MTB can be used just as effectively for road/light trails by just looking at tire selection. If you're doing mostly hardball riding, but might occasionally break off road, getting something along these lines for tires would dramatically improve ride quality and limit speed loss on the road due to friction between tires/road, but still give you some traction when cornering in dirt. When all I had was a MTB and was doing 20-30 miles daily, switching to these type of tires made a WORLD of difference, mainly in comfort.

Catching up on shaves and biking Don. Great job and I'll secong just repair and get back to it. Upgrade later. I too have an entry level mtn bike, a low price specialized. Since moving here I have no where to ride it safely unless I haul it somewhere. In Knoxville there were bike trails everywhere and they were continuing to connect them. I miss that but want to get back to riding even though I need to get some work done to mine also and will also need to haul it somewhere close to ride.

Razor: Gillette Slim
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Noble Otter - BarrBarr
Brush: Eric Sorrentino Tuxedo Synthetic
Aftershave: Thayers Peach Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Wholly Kaw - King of Oud

I'm going to keep my comments short this morning...no..really I am. Picked up this tub of Noble Otter - BarrBarr stupid cheap a couple weeks ago. I likely wouldn't have purchased this scent of their soap except that it was a really good price. From the name I thought it was a barber shop scent, and indeed, that is what NO was going for...just their interpretation of the Barber Shop Scent. Upon first whiff out of the tub...that is not what I would have thought it was. It is an unique scent unto it's own. Another member hearkened it to oatmeal cookies. I concur that it is a little on the sweet side for something that really isn't supposed to be sweet at all. But there is a little brightness to it and a good bit of earthiness to it. Looking at the scent profiles and amazed that this is the scent that comes through (from the website: Lemon, Rosemary, Basil, Oakmoss, Sandlewood, Patchouli). I Struggled to find a scent in aftershave in my den that would match...and decided to try my King of Oud by Wholly Kaw. It actually pairs very well! I'll have more on this soap in the future but again, I am digging the Noble Otter soap base...the scent is something I like, I'm just not sure if it is something I want to keep.

The Danger Zone:

Well the wife left me...for vacation! Yup...I am on my own for the week to take care of the house and the poochies. SWMBO is visiting her sister in Western PA . I just might use this bit of loneliness to work on a video or two. I have a couple ideas that i think you all will like. Anyway...have to run guys! I hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!

Don't burn the house down LOL. Very nice shave and looking forward to some Dangerous Videos!

Sounds like a different, but good scent. Yep, now is the great time for videos. You can talk to yourself all you want!

Enjoy your temporary bachelorhood!

Definitely shave but don’t shower, do hog all the sheets, swueezecthe toothpaste from the middle, flip the TP roll to the correct way, leave your plates in the sink, etc...just make sure everything is back in place before SWMBO returns!

Nice shave Don...I have to agree with you on Barrbarr being a very unorthodox barbershop scent...in the same way that Ghost Town Barber is. It has some Barbershop characteristics, but is something completely different.

Enjoy your temporary bachelorhood!

Definitely shave but don’t shower, do hog all the sheets, swueezecthe toothpaste from the middle, flip the TP roll to the correct way, leave your plates in the sink, etc...just make sure everything is back in place before SWMBO returns!

If I tried doing this with my SWMBO, she would KNOW. It's like they have the eye of Sauron watching you when they're gone....creepy.

Nice shave Don...I have to agree with you on Barrbarr being a very unorthodox barbershop scent...in the same way that Ghost Town Barber is. It has some Barbershop characteristics, but is something completely different.
If I tried doing this with my SWMBO, she would KNOW. It's like they have the eye of Sauron watching you when they're gone....creepy.

THEY ALWAYS KNOW!!!

Strop Shoppe Instinct

1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable

Rudy Vey - Shavemac Two Band Silver Tip Badger

Ship Grand Turk Old Spice Mug

Fine American Blend

Well...technically I haven't shaved with this yet...but I will! I was sifting through my den and looking for something that is very 4th of July. My den isn't as extensive as some of yours (looking at you the Cadre Fathers)...I only have about 40 soaps and 30 after shaves (not counting any samples). So in terms of shave dens...I am limited...I guess. My Fine American Blend is a no brainer. Plus I absolutely love this scent! But...I only have a few soaps that might pair with this well. I first looked at my PannaCrema Ebano...but really...an Italian soap on Independence Day? I don't think so. I have a Dapper Dragon soap that might go well with it, but it's a new tub and I don't want to spoil it because I'm not sure I want to keep it. I thought about the tin of Victory Shaving Soap - Pilot...now that stuff smells great...but not even remotely in the wheelhouse as FAB. I was recently given a puck of Queen Charlotte Esquire by Bruce @Graybeard57 gave me...but with a name like Queen Charlotte...I might as well don a Red Coat and mumble something about tea and crumpets (by the way...I do love me some crumpets...if you don't know what a crumpet is...do yourself a favor and find some...Trader Joe's sells them, but they go quick when they do have them...don't waste your time on the cinnamon and raisins...just get the plain...pop them in the toaster...put some butter on it and a little honey...and you are in heaven...totally not on my diet...but I can dream...but I DIGEST). I finally decided on Strop Shoppe Instinct. I am envisioning a BBS shave!

The Danger Zone:

I have the house to myself...well, there are the doggies...but they just like to lounge around until it's time to play or eat! The 4th will be uneventful for me as the wife left town to visit her sis in Western PA. But some downtime is really what I need. I am not feeling very ambitious about anything today and spending time with my friends here at TSC is okay by me! Might even make a video today...who knows...the couch...err...I mean...the sky is the limit!

I am super excited! I have three purchases in the books. The wife likely won't be too happy once she sees the bank and credit card statements...but I have a motto that served me well in the Marine Corps and the rest of my military career in the National Guard...Better to Beg for Forgiveness than to Ask for Permission! I'm not sure if this actually applies to marriages...but what is done...well, is done. Anyway, One of the purchases is a Soap and After Shave combo that most places are out of...I snagged a set and can't wait to try it out. The other two are being made. When they come in I will share them with you all...but for now...it's a secret!

Josh @Dagwoodz talked about his poker exploits the other day and it got me thinking. I used to play "a little" poker in the day and really enjoyed it. Priorities took over and I just didn't have the time nor could I afford it. I might get back into it casually again soon. At any rate...the Main Event for the World Series of Poker is taking place right now in Las Vegas and ESPN is televising it each evening with live coverage. Hmm...the wife is out of town...my Lazy Boy recliner is unoccupied...I have a Costco sized container of pork rinds...I have sausages and chicken thighs to go on the grill...how could this be a bad idea. Did I mention that I have pork rinds?

I might get out today...there is a guy at work that has expressed an interest in Traditional Wet Shaving. So I am thinking of running to Bath & Body Works and pick up a tube of C.O. Bigelow cream. He isn't interested in soap yet...and to be honest...the tube of cream is one of the best for a beginner. You can use it with or without a brush...he is a little odd...and I have reason to believe that he doesn't want to be bothered by a brush either. But at any rate...soap and a razor should be great. I think I have a Gillette Super Speed that I can give him...I ju
st need to clean it up. I have a Merkur Long Handle already out on loan, or I would let him use that one. Anyway...I might get out of the house today!

I hope all of you have a wonderful 4th of July Celebration. With all the grilling and fireworks going on...make sure you stay safe and be careful! If you are from parts unknown and countries that do not celebrate American Independence...then just know that some of us here in the US are thinking about you and your freedom...and we hope that whatever situation that you are in...that you are happy and that if your situation need improving that you are able to do so!

Great write-up Don! Have a great day, whether you stay in or head out...nice set up for the shave later on!

I think you got your holiday's mixed up! Aren't those Mardi Gras beads? ?

I think you got your holiday's mixed up! Aren't those Mardi Gras beads?
1f602.png

Fourth of July Mardi Gras Beads!
1f60b.png
We have a Mardi Gras bead for every occasion!

Great reads, Don. You sound all set......after all, you have pork rinds. So is the soap and splash set a secret too? Curious minds and all that. Have a great day.

Great reads, Don. And STELLAR photo!!! Your best yet!
1f44d.png

Happy 4th!
Thanks!

Great reads, Don. You sound all set......after all, you have pork rinds. So is the soap and splash set a secret too? Curious minds and all that. Have a great day.
Not so much a secret...I just want to wait until it comes in.

Enjoy your “me” time. Can’t wait to see your videos!
Well the videos in my mind will be awesome! Let's see what I really make!

By the way...as I type this...Joey Chesnut just won the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Championship...again! He just downed 64 hot dogs with buns in 10 minutes. This is his 11th title. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Tom Brady? Peshaw...11 titles is boss!

Awesome read Don, enjoy your 4th and bucket-o-rinds!

I think one thing we easily forget as we all scramble to find our American shaving items is that we really could pick anything and it would fit equally well! America is an amazing mush pot of all peoples, a lot of the best pieces from many different nations!

Awesome read Don, enjoy your 4th and bucket-o-rinds!

I think one thing we easily forget as we all scramble to find our American shaving items is that we really could pick anything and it would fit equally well! America is an amazing mush pot of all peoples, a lot of the best pieces from many different nations!

Awesome point Chris!

Back