The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

I feel like I just read an episode of something on Animal Planet.
1f633.png

Great info Don!
I'm a little disappointed there wasn't a gif of a hyena chowing down on a giraffe's stomach or something

Thanks for the vote of confidence Chad!
1f60b.png

But yeah...I just suggest everyone with a pet take a close look at what they feed them.

Agreed Don. We no longer have our Fur Babies but we fed them well. Not the raw diet although I had considered, but no soy, grain,wheat or corn etc. We went with a naturals dry food. Big difference in skin allergies they had. Cleared it right up.

Great shave and read Don! Sounds like you have the yogurt process figured out.

Interesting read on the raw diet for the pooch.

Razor: Gillette Sheraton
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (New Blade)
Soap/cream: Sudsy Soapery - Sandalwood and Citrus with Tumeric
Brush: Eric Sorrentino Tuxedo Synthetic
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Reuzel Aftershave
After that Aftershave: Musgo Real - Agua de Colonia No. 1 Orange Amber

Real quick one today gents. Took longer in the shower and for my morning routines than I would have liked. I decided to shange everything up and go to a soap that I haven't given much attention. You all know I am a big proponent of Sudsy Soapery. I don't think they are quite an Elite soap, but I do think they are definitely a Tier 1 soap. And that says a lot because I typically won't give a non-tallow soap a chance. Sudsy Soapery is the exception. Most of the SS has nice scents...but they never are really strong or last. Twice Mint is definitely the exception with this and today's shave, Sandalwood and Citrus is also. This scent is a really nice citrus scent with just a hint of woodsiness to it. I used my Eric Sorrentino brush (got mine before Eric was cool...) and it performed like it always does...perfect. Bruce, AKA Greybeard57, PIF'd me some blades a few weeks back and it was high time that I used some of them. I went with the Super MAx Platinum Plus, mostly because I have never used it before. Slid it into my Gillette Sheraton and got myself a better than DFS! I was looking through my aftershave collection and couldn't find anything that really matched perfectly with the SS S&C, so I pulled out something I haven't tried in a very long time and to be quite honest...didn't remember if I liked it or not. Splashed some on and decided the scent, while not a bad choice, wasn't what I was loo
king for. I thought I remembered there being a little brightness to this AS, like bergamot or something. And I thought there was something a little sandalwoody about this...nope on both counts! It is straight up Barbershop. This AS is definitely heavy on glycerin also, because you get that stickiness from it. But all is well, the scent fades quickly and the stickiness dries. So for my smell good for the day I decided to go with my Musgo Real Orange Amber AdC. It's a bit more orange than I wanted....but it's all good!

Hope you all have a great day!

Nice read Don. And that brush certainly is a looker! I agree Sudsy Soapery is definitely tier 1. Good performance

I normally avoid sandalwood scents, but this one sounds like the citrus is the powerful note. Good stuff.

Great shave, read, and picture Don!

I haven't heard of Reuzel Aftershave before.

Nice set-up and photo, Don. And I haven't heard of that Reuzel a/s.

Great shave and pic. The AS sounds interesting. Gotta love the Sudsy Soapery.

Great shave, read, and picture Don!

I haven't heard of Reuzel Aftershave before.
Reuzel actually makes some pretty good pomade...that is mostly what they are known for. It's made by these guys: https://schorembarbier.nl/#
I normally avoid sandalwood scents, but this one sounds like the citrus is the powerful note. Good stuff.

The citrus is the prominent note on this soap and is a really nice scent. Just a hint of sandalwood. I think it would pair well with "Orange Dirt" but to be honest, I would love this scent all on it's own. Too bad this is one of the scents they don't make in an after shave.

Razor: Gillette Sheraton
Blade: Super Max Platinum Plus (2nd Shave)
Soap/cream: Sudsy Soapery - Lavender & Peppermint
Brush: Rudy Vey - Shavemac Two Band Silver Tip Badger
Aftershave: Thayers Coconut Water Witch Hazel
After the Aftershave: Fine - Lavender Pour Homme

Went with another Sudsy Soapery shave this morning. I don't know what got into me, but I decided to some crazy things with my shave. Well, okay, maybe not all that crazy. You know how we all say, "load it like you hate it." Well I loaded it like it was my last shave every. Is it possible to get too much soap on a brush? If it is...then I did it. I felt like I was pasting this stuff to my face. It took me longer than I expected to build the lather, mostly because there was so much of it. But what felt like a gallon of water later, I got a good lather. There is something about this Sheraton that gives me a slightly rougher shave than what you would expect. I don't think it is an aggressive razor at all, but something is up. I think I will have to inspect this guy later tonight. Did my standard two pass shave and while I noticed a slightly sub-par shave...I didn't realize how sub-par it was until I splashed on the aftershave. That stuff lit me up like a marshmallow that was overdone for s'mores. I was on fire! While I think I can technically call this a DFS...I most certainly won't It's passable and got the job done...but it wasn't great. A quick note on the lavender and peppermint scents of the soap and aftershave. This scent profile has to be one of the most luxurious. I guess what I mean as that while it is just two notes...I feel like this is a scent reserved for only those that can afford ridiculously expensive things. Like I said...luxurious.

The Danger Zone

Work is busy right now...it always is at the end of the month. I have a case that prescribes next month so I have to get that report in by Friday. The Director of my section was a First Assistant District Attorney for almost 30 years. The bulk of his trials were capital cases. This man has a lot of knowledge. But man can he be exhausting. I like him a lot, and I learn a ton from him, but sometimes I wish I can just turn in a report and that is it. As such, he makes all the investigators defend their position. This is a good thing in a way, as it really hones my critical thinking skills and my verbal skills. If I can't tell him why something is a certain way...then I guess it deserves scrutiny. My position doesn't require a law degree, but attorneys are who they hire into that job. There are two people in the investigative section that don't have law degrees. One of the guys has a Masters +30 hours...the other person is me. I am by for the least educated (I have two Bachelor Degrees...yeah that's a story for later), and the only one that does not have a legal background (the others have either held legal type jobs, are lawyers, or have clerked for a judge). So I am feeling a little inadequate at times. But I am constantly receiving praise and kudos for the analysis in my reports and how well they are written (don't judge me on my grammar and misspellings here...I rarely draft and rewrite my posts at TSC). Anyway, I love my job...but man...it can be tough sometimes.

Hope the Cadre has a wonderful Day!

Nice one Don...I generally don't mind when the lather building process takes a while. Since I bowl lather, it's a mindless process that is pretty soothing, and very gratifying when I get the lather "there".

On the work stuff, I'm right there with you. Sometimes the school of life will make you a much more well rounded individual than someone who is scholastically trained. Life is the ultimate lesson in critical thinking, so your education in a practical sense is probably right up there with theirs.

Nice shave Don .I've been curious about the Sheraton and have been watching and reading for your thoughts. Hope you get it straightened out.. Hope work settles down for you. Cheers

Don great read. And please don't judge my misspellings and grammar here either! I spend to much time doing that in my technical papers for work LOL!

Love the usage of Lavender for ma homies!, I just love that Fine scent!

Nice set up, Don. Today must be a Lavender & Peppermint day, as I too used a similar scented soap this morning. Regarding the Sudsy Soap: I had a tub of that Lav & Pepp soap and must admit that the scent was wonderful. I find the combo of the two scents to be very calming.

And don't ever feel "inadequate" about what "framed-paper-from-some-school" hangs on somebody's wall. Many times, the "school of hard knocks", experience, and self-education, will trump a formal education. Take James Eads, for example, of the Eads Bridge in St. Louis, MO; self taught engineer of enormous importance.

Very nice shaves, Don. I enjoy Sudsy Soapery, and have a few of their scents. I'm pretty sure I'm still not cool, but that's just going by what I hear at work lol.

Back