The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Welcome to the Danger Zone!

Of course, that means a nice authentic lunch out right?!
Unfortunately...that wasn't the kind of day I had. I had to do some things in the office before I headed out. Then there was an accident on the interstate. So I got to my destination realy just in time. Then I had to head out. Normally I would stop at a place like Stein's Deli for a nice hot Ruben or Beef Tongue on Rye. Or at a place like Central Grocery for a world famous Muffaletta. Of course...I can get a good Shrimp Poboy just about anywhere. One of my favorites though is a soft shell crab poboy. If you want something really good...Chargrilled Oysters are fantastic!

I am craving gumbo or jambalaya now.
Yeah...a good gumbo is where it's at!

Little known fact...unless you have spent time in Louisiana...

In the Acadiana area of Louisiana (think west of New Orleans stretching to Texas...but not including New Orleans...New Orleans has more of a Creole influence, as well as others) Gumbo is served with a scoop of potato salad right in the middle. I am not sure of the origin of it...and it doesn't sound all that great...but man is it delicious!

1581507538107.png

I will have to try that. Never thought that would work. My wife and her parents go to south Carolina every two years, so this year I am going with them. I'll make a suggestion to stop and get some gumbo.

I will have to try that. Never thought that would work. My wife and her parents go to south Carolina every two years, so this year I am going with them. I'll make a suggestion to stop and get some gumbo.
Gumbo is one of those things that if I ever move away from Louisiana...it will always be on the menu!

Strangely, this does not appeal to me. As a boy I tasted moose tongue, but didn't like it.

Now we're talking! Love the soft shell crab in any form. Oysters are great too, though I don't like them raw.
Oh come on! It's thinly sliced and more akin to corned beef than anything else I have tasted. Though Soft Shell Crab would be my preference! I have known people that don't like oysters and in cases just down right hate them. I'm not big on raw oysters either. But I have never met a person that had some char-grilled oysters (at least from a reputable place) and didn't fall in love!

The Danger Zone!!!

Well the wife asked me to whip up a lather last night for her to shave her legs. This is only the second time she has asked me to do this. She asked if I had a rose scented soap...unfortunately I don't have a straight up rose soap. But I gave her a choice of a Soap that Chris made and sent me, jasmine, sandalwood, cedar, and rose...as well as Declaration Grooming - Vide Poche (dominate scent is jasmine and honeysuckle) and Lisa's Natural Herbal Creation - Tashmere (Orange, Black Pepper, Amber, Sandalwood, Oud, Geranium). She initially picked the CBL, but changed her mind and picked the Tashmere. She was really impressed with the slickness of the soap and how it made her legs feel afterword. I'm thinking of getting her, her own soap brush and bowl (she's not on board with the razor yet). Progress gents...progress. It has only taken more than five years. :)

source.gif

Razor: Occam Enoch
Blade: Feather Pro (New Blade and Second Shave)
Soap/Cream: Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations - Tashmere
Brush: Stirling Synthetic
The Penultimate Aftershave: Humphrey's Lavender Witch Hazel
The Ultimate Aftershave: Fine Accouterments - Fresh Vetiver

Yesterday's and this morning's shaves were exactly the same. Well, except that yesterday's shave I had to mow down about five days worth of beard. It's my turn with the Occam Enoch that John @The Monkey has graciously provided for us. Yesterday's shave went well enough. The razor did what it was supposed to do. But it is hard to make any judgement, good or bad, based off of extreme conditions like a week old beard. Still, my face was pretty smooth with a spot or two I think I missed. I didn't get a good clean shave on the neck, but like I said...extreme conditions.

This morning's shave I had high hopes. I started off well with my WtG pass. But I was having a hard time with my XtG pass as I was either not getting the right angle or some other factor. AtG was a bit better, but a little uncomfortable. The shave as a whole turned out much better than I expected...I just wish it was a little bit smoother. I'll try to fine tune this guy tomorrow and give a more detailed review.

The Danger Zone!!!

The Flu! Ugh! Man did it hit me like a bag a nickles. I had my flu shot earlier in the season but Influenza don't care about any of that. Started feeling bad and ran a flu on Sunday. Monday I ran close to a 104 degree fever. A regimen of acetaminophen and ibuprofen as well as cold showers (these are the worse) and the fever was broke by Tuesday. I ain't going to lie...this cold and flu season has officially kicked my ass this year.

Just curious. Had you gotten a flu shot this year? Not bustin ur balls. Just am always suspicious that they are less effective than we would like to think they are.
Fluffy

Back